Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Success Rate at typical day leases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success Rate at typical day leases?

Success Rate at typical day leases

I am new to the whole day lease thing, I have only paid for hunting twice in my life and one of those was a positive experience (didn’t take one, but saw many shooters), one not so much.

Trying to evaluate if I want to ever do it again and I would love some insight.

I am just curious what you experienced day lease hunters think the average success rate is for some of your favorite day leases? 25% 10% 2% ???

Thanks!

This is my opinion, and my opinion only.

I think it really depends on the ranch's structure.
    The ranches that charge a daily fee, with no kill fee have always been less successful for me.
    The ranches that charge a smaller daily fee, with a kill fee, have always been better producers, for me.

My conspiracy theory ... the first type makes money if you don't kill. Although they may seem to be helpful, they're not going to tell you where to sit to make sure you get a shot op. The second ranch makes money when you do kill, so they're going to do everything humanly possible to get you in range so you can get a shot.

Take it for what it's worth ... that's my thoughts.

Comment

Alot of it depends on the ranch and what type of day hunt you're going on. I've been on deer day hunts that had a real low success rate. I have also been on some hunts that it wasn't a matter of if you were going to get a shot but whether or not you wanted to take it. Ask the rancher things like: Is it high fenced? Does he feed and do the animals come to the feeders(some animals will and some animals don't really hit feeders very often)What is the normal shot chance? Does he allow stalking? It's really a learning process. Depending on what type of animal you want to hunt I know there are alot of guys on here that can help you. Just let them know. Good Luck.

Comment

I agree with what Texastaxi had to say. I've hunted both types quite a few times and enjoyed success at both at times. I prefer a ranch where my chances at a mature animal are greater. The last few years I've chosen to hunt ranches with a day fee and a trophy fee when I kill. The animals on these ranches are usually trophy size and shot opportunities are greater. Like I said I've hunted both and had great hunts on both. Which ever you choose enjoy the experience!

Comment

I too agree with TexasTaxi. the rnches that charge kill fees always have higher success rates bucause they do not make much nomey if you don't kill something. I have spent way more on cheap day hunts with no kill fees trying to kill a fallow deer, and usually never even saw one, than I would have spent if I went on a kill fee hunt. It also depends on the number of hunters the ranch takes. Most day fee ranches usually run less than 1% success rate. This is my opinion based on the ones I have hunted on. Not to say you can't be sucessful on that type of ranch, it is just way harder and usually more expensive. If you enjoy going on multiple trips and have a good time then you dicide what type you want to go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
            This is my opinion, and my opinion only.

I think it really depends on the ranch's structure.
            The ranches that charge a daily fee, with no kill fee have always been less successful for me.
            The ranches that charge a smaller daily fee, with a kill fee, have always been better producers, for me.

My conspiracy theory ... the first type makes money if you don't kill. Although they may seem to be helpful, they're not going to tell you where to sit to make sure you get a shot op. The second ranch makes money when you do kill, so they're going to do everything humanly possible to get you in range so you can get a shot.

Take it for what it's worth ... that's my thoughts.
            Does this same theory hold water for hog hunting? It seems like there are a lot more places with no kill fees for hogs than for other game. I understand the logic above and it sounds good to me. Whereas for hogs I would think that any place over run with them would just be trying to get rid of them any way possible. I have never paid for a hog hunt so I am interested in getting into it this year and just wondering how to select the ranch to hunt.

Comment

Hog hunting seems to be the exception to what I quoted. You can find some excellent hog hunting ranches that do not charge kill fees. What I was talking about is targeting a specific animal. My group has been on several exotic hunts and deer hunts and shot hogs. We have even shot some rams, but when we did we were hunting for Fallow, Axis or whitetail deer and shot the rams the last day as a consolation mainly because we had not seen or had the opportunity to shoot our target animals.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                Hog hunting seems to be the exception to what I quoted. You can find some excellent hog hunting ranches that do not charge kill fees. What I was talking about is targeting a specific animal. My group has been on several exotic hunts and deer hunts and shot hogs. We have even shot some rams, but when we did we were hunting for Fallow, Axis or whitetail deer and shot the rams the last day as a consolation mainly because we had not seen or had the opportunity to shoot our target animals.
                I agree 100%.

Comment

a big thing that is not mentioned and is usually overly assumed is the skill level of the hunter. on a day lease, the owner is gonna let anyone from a beginner to a skilled experienced hunter, hunt. now when you have a day lease that is hunted hard by this mix, the animals get smart. then, when that goes on for years, even the "good" hunters have to rethink their tactics. i strongly believe that most people go to a day lease thinking it is a pretty sure thing. that is the nature of our society. if we pay our hard earned money, we expect to shoot something. but in reality, its a hunting ranch. not a killing ranch. when it gets to where they charge extra for your kill, then obviously it is more the killing ranch. now before you take that in any argumentative way, save you time and effort. i personally dont have a problem for either. to each his/her own. all im saying is that if you are going to a DIY day lease you should openly realize that it is not going to be easy. these animals (even hogs) are hunted everyday ( obviously pending season) and the mature animals know virtually every trick in the book. that and when you go for 2-4 days out a season and that is your first time to a ranch, you cant expect to shoot some trophy everytime. it takes more work than private land hands down. so do your homework, swallow your pride, and listen to what people have to say. dont ask a ranch manager and then assume he is just lying to you so you dont shoot anything. i feel really bad for any of yall that would even go to a place like that. most places will do what they can within reason to help you out. the kill fee places just generally "hold you hand" a little more to insure their paycheck.

Comment

I gotta disagree, Lee.

I think the "kill fee" ranches have a higher success rate because the people that hunt them are looking for a trophy, not a bargain. I think generally, new hunters are trying to find the cheapest deal they can. I know I did, when I started bow hunting.

Comment

to an extent taxi there is truth there. but i know of some diy day leases that have had white tail over 150 inches. now that would be a trophy in most everyones eyes. and at a kill fee place that would cost 3000+ for a weekend. so the cheaper places, when hunted with extreme skill (and some luck) can produce a trophy. just not a guaranteed one.

Comment

I think we're on different pages, Lee.
                        When I think of day hunts, I automatically think of exotics.
                        You're thinking whitetail.
                        In that aspect, yes, I agree with what you're saying.

Comment

I have hunted DB Hunting Ranch located north of Austin in Bertram - in 3 trips, I have killed 1 animal. During the 'non-kill" visits, I did shoot at a pig (missed) and another trip I never got to draw. So I'm 33% there but I had a good time nonetheless. I think some of it has to do with keeping expectations in check and just trying to have fun.

Comment

When I am talking about a day lease, then I am talking about a 150 dollar a day with no kill fee place. Places like Bar E, Brushy Hill, Chambers, First Point, etc. You are gambling on the fact that for say $300 you can shoot an animal that most places would charge say 1500 or more for. This is a gamble between you and the landowner. I am not saying that every landowner is hoping the hunter does not kill anything, but there has to be the right mix of hunters that kill something and those who do not.

When hunting a day lease you are talking about animals that are under heavy hunting pressure that has seen every trick in the book. They are out there surviving each day, so it is not just showing up to sit in a stand and start killing. Most people only book 2 days when they book a day lease hunt, so they except to scout a ranch, setup stands, and have the animals play along in only 2 days with a bow. As bowhunters, we all know that all the stars have to align for us to harvest an animal. If anything goes wrong on a bow hunt than our chances are dramatically reduced no matter if you are on a day hunt or not.

I put day lease odds at 10% - 15% in my mind. Those do not sound great, but I continue to hunt them. Day leases have made me a better hunter and it is more of a game to me than just hunting your typical lease. You have to think outside the box and it is more of a challenge, but that is what I am looking for. It is very rewarding to take an animal on a day lease.

In my opinion, if you have to kill something to justify the hunt then you are not ready to hunt a day lease. .

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post

I put day lease odds at 10% - 15% in my mind. Those do not sound great, but I continue to hunt them. Day leases have made me a better hunter and it is more of a game to me than just hunting your typical lease. You have to think outside the box and it is more of a challenge, but that is what I am looking for. It is very rewarding to take an animal on a day lease.

In my opinion, if you have to kill something to justify the hunt then you are not ready to hunt a day lease. .

Agreed, not to mention that it is more fulfilling to me to at least TRY to do it the less expensive way. If I nail a big buck at a day lease, I would be much more proud of him than if I paid a $2000+ kill fee....plus I just enjoy getting out there and having the chance. If $ were no object, I would probly mix in some kill fee experiences though.

Comment

Working...
                              X