Back from First Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from First Point

Just got back last night. Saw lots of deer and a few shooters. Deer really started to rut sunday with the arrival of cold front. First few days was kinda slow but still saw alot of does and young bucks. Anyone else going soon I would for get about Pop-ups and dig a hole and get your shooting lanes on the ground or look for one thats alraeady been dug. These deer are hunted hard all year and very spooky around any thing above ground at there eye level no matter how well you brush it in. If you do use a pop-up use your shoot threw screens ,because if they see any kind of black hole they do not stick around !!! Also I believe Mike said he was going to start letting hunters harvest does next year. Good luck to all those who have hunts coming up.

What pasture where you in? How many days did you hunt? Anything you would have done different (besides the popups).

I am hunting there Dec. 26- Jan 1.

Comment

I will be there the same time as Heath (couple of days less).

When you hunt the holes, how far off the road do you typically go? I hunted there last year and there are lots of hole right next to the road, which I did not like because of the noise/movement factor.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by vidorboy View Post
        I will be there the same time as Heath (couple of days less).

When you hunt the holes, how far off the road do you typically go? I hunted there last year and there are lots of hole right next to the road, which I did not like because of the noise/movement factor.

Thanks in advance.
        Who all is in your group? I am going with Killem All. I think there are going to be 5 or 6 TBHers in camp.

Comment

Just me. I arrive Sunday and hunt to the 1st. I will be driving a black z-71. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by vidorboy View Post
            Just me. I arrive Sunday and hunt to the 1st. I will be driving a black z-71. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Phillip
            I believe Huntinfool and his dad will be there the same dates as you.

Comment

I hunted area 9 off the corn route on 9-10 boundary line. Set up two different spots for wind directions. I would not have wasted time with a pop-up and made two different holes. Distance wise I would stay 20-25 yds. off roads,but that depends on your confort range with your bow. Listen to what mike tells about your hunting area because he corns those routes everyday and sees alot of bucks because as soon as he goes by the deer pour out on to the roads. I would sacrifice the first evening hunt and sit back and glass the area you intend to hunt. Thats what I did and saw 3 shooter bucks that evening. My last hunt I had a 140-145 10 pt. chase a doe in front of me 2 different times but could not get on him.
              Last edited by s.price; 12-22-2008, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by s.price View Post
                I hunted area 9 off the corn route on 9-10 boundary line. Set up two different spots for wind directions. I would not have wasted time with a pop-up and made two different holes. Distance wise I would stay 20-25 yds. off roads,but that depends on your confort range with your bow. Listen to what mike tells about your hunting area because he corns those routes everyday and sees alot of bucks because as soon as he goes by the deer pour out on to the roads. I would sacrifice the first evening hunt and sit back and glass the area you intend to hunt
                Was there any deer taken when you were there? What was said about buck siteings while you were there?

Comment

There was 1 110-115inch 3 yrs. old 8pt. harvested. There was several good deer sighted on the first evening glassing corn routes, but the weather warmed friday and really slowed buck movement until sunday. Our hunt lasted until monday at noon, but i had to leave sunday evening and have not got to talk to anyone about the rest of there hunt!
                  Last edited by s.price; 12-22-2008, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I usually hunt pasture nine. (5-6 times now) and I agree, the bucks are very wise. I too sacraficed a night scouting and saw three shooter bucks. One 150" 10 fed right past my pit that I built the year before, TWICE!!
                    My father and I will be there Dec 28-Jan 2 and then again Jan 10-15. I tend to like the late season as the bucks are more on the feed route after the rut. During the rut can be hard as the bucks are constantly chasing does and other bucks. Keep pouring on the info, we always appreciate it.

Comment

Huntinfool,

What should we expect in the terms of the rut when we are there? Will they be finished?

Comment

Yes the rut will still be going on when you get there. Also if you hunt a corn route get there before mike comes by because if not you will be spooking deer away from your area.
                        Last edited by s.price; 12-22-2008, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Shannon, great talking to ya. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Great talkin to you Damian and good luck to you and your dad on yall's hunt.
                            Also good luck to killem all and heath. Be safe and SHOOT STRAIGHT !!!

Comment

Originally posted by s.price View Post
                              Great talkin to you Damian and good luck to you and your dad on yall's hunt.
                              Also good luck to killem all and heath. Be safe and SHOOT STRAIGHT !!!
                              Always

Did anyone say what pasture the big buck is in? There is always one lurking.

Comment

Working...
                              X