Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Shiny Top Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shiny Top Ranch

My 6 year old is begging me to take him on a hunt that is a "just him and me" hunt. He has been out with my older son and myself this year, even taken his first deer, but wants some one on one time with Daddy.

I was looking at a day hunt operation called the Shiny Top Ranch in Salado, TX. It's archery only, but I don't know much else about it.

Has anyone ever hunted there, or in the Salado area itself? I am trying to make an informed decision about booking a hunt.

Many thanks

I have hunted there many times and I have had a great time every time. I didn't kill something every time but I have had alot of opportunities. There are a ton of hogs there. Gary is funny and has alot of great stories. There is not much hunting preasuer either because they just do this for fun not a main source of income. There is only one bunkhouse and it is neat but it is just a place to sleep. Doc says it all the time that if you are looking for a five star resort keep looking. I have always had fun there and seen alot of good deer, hogs and turkey. Tell Doc and Gary that Nick said Hi if you go.

Comment

I live in the area, about 20 miles north of Salado, and I can tell you, there are some big deer in that area, some from Solana (sp?) ranch that have escaped and bred with the wild deer. Not sure exactly where Shiny Top is, but there are big deer near Salado. Now, that said, how much does a day hunt cost at Shiny Top, I haven't seen any prices.

Comment

Doc quoted me $375 for a 2 day hunt. It allowed you to harvest an 8 point or better, a doe and a hog. Lodging included, but you had to provide your own food. Typical day hunt rules. Seems like a great guy, and looks like a good set-up, just was not sure of the population on his ranch.

I was looking to take my 6 year old out for some 1 on 1 woods time, but with an upcoming gymnastics competition in January, they have stepped up the practice schedule and that last weekend of general season does not work for us any more.

If anyone else goes up there, let us know how it was.

Comment

lots of deer

I assure you there are alot of deer there. The best part of it is you will have the whole place to yourself and your son. They don't book alot of deer hunts because they are not a huge opperation and they don't want to overhunt the deer. I am not going to say that you will get a deer for sure but there are alot of oppertunities there.

Comment

Working...
          X