Llano/Cherokee hunt gone wrong! Beware!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Llano/Cherokee hunt gone wrong! Beware!

Would you, if given the opportunity, go on a weekend hunt in Llano/San Saba county for $150.00? Well I did, and took my dad and brother-in-law as well as 7 others from church. We all got there Friday night for what we thought would be a great hunt. We were told we could harvest 1 buck + 1 doe + 1 turkey + all the hogs you wanted. We went out around 5am Sat. moring. Well, we got back to camp around 10:30 Saturday morning and no one saw a thing. Half the feeders didn't work or were out of corn. So we made some comments to the rancher, BOBBY HALL. So we hunted Saturday night, with only one hunter harvesting one small pig, we got to talking. So questioned the rancher. We finally find out that he has been allowing a maximum of 10 hunters each weekend since opening day the same package on only 485 acres. "Over hunted" is not even close.... I know there were no promises, but we should have gotten the whole story up front. I guess now we have a few more questions to ask before we drive 11 hour round trip, take a day off from work, and pay for a hunt. He made some decent money ($1500) and lost nothing. lol We did however have a good time in camp, and I lead a great Bible study. So God did get glory for the time we had out there in His country. Just venting guys. Thanks for listening. Richard Willis

What do you expect for $150.00 bucks?

Comment

Sorry for your bad experience. Thanks for sharing with us. I'll bet the offsetting landowners aren't too happy with this guy either. Is this around Cherokee?

Comment

If something sounds to good to be true.....

Glad u guys still had a good time. God being on board has a way of doing that!

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
          Sorry for your bad experience. Thanks for sharing with us. I'll bet the offsetting landowners aren't too happy with this guy either. Is this around Cherokee?
          Yes just 3 miles out of town.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
            If something sounds to good to be true.....

Glad u guys still had a good time. God being on board has a way of doing that!

$150 for a weekend/day hunt for meat is found many places. That didn't raise a red flag at all.

Comment

Bummer
              You do get what you pay for.
              Always ask for references and call those references.

Better luck next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Raleigh View Post
                Bummer
                You do get what you pay for.
                Always ask for references and call those references.

Better luck next time.
                Yes, references I will do next time.

But, 'get what you pay for', is not at all right for this. I have seen/witnessed/been on/ and heard of these $150 weekend / day hunts all the time.

Comment

Sorry to hear about a bad hunting experience, but at least there was good friends and Chrisitian fellowship to make for a good time.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your bad hunt. Ive hunted in Cherokee for a long time (east of town on 501) but dont recall hearing of a Bobby Hall? Which direction out of town was it? North/south on 16 or east/west on 501? Im gonna ask around while Im down there thru the holiday & see what the local folks think of this. Most all the people in Cherokee are super nice upstanding folks. Sorry for your bad experience.

Comment

Originally posted by rem11shooter View Post
                      Sorry to hear about your bad hunt. Ive hunted in Cherokee for a long time (east of town on 501) but dont recall hearing of a Bobby Hall? Which direction out of town was it? North/south on 16 or east/west on 501? Im gonna ask around while Im down there thru the holiday & see what the local folks think of this. Most all the people in Cherokee are super nice upstanding folks. Sorry for your bad experience.
                      Well we were East on 501, 3 miles out of town, turned right on, (i think 436, don't have the map here at work), went 3 miles, then his place is on the left.

Comment

The majority of day leases are going to be like what you experienced, especially for $150.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                          The majority of day leases are going to be like what you experienced, especially for $150.
                          Maybe ranchers are getting more greedy. Never had a problem like this on any day/weekend hunts. Even the big guys in the past have been great. I guess I will not do day/weekend hunts anymore. Just too many thieves.

Comment

Originally posted by gager2002 View Post
                            Maybe ranchers are getting more greedy. Never had a problem like this on any day/weekend hunts. Even the big guys in the past have been great. I guess I will not do day/weekend hunts anymore. Just too many thieves.

I wouldn't call the landowners thieves or greedy. Did you know that it was only 450 acres? To expect great hunting on any day lease is pretty unrealistic even on the very best day hunting operations.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                              I wouldn't call the landowners thieves or greedy. Did you know that it was only 450 acres? To expect great hunting on any day lease is pretty unrealistic even on the very best day hunting operations.
                              Expectations were normal. If you knew me, and where and how I normally hunt you could possibily understand. I don't use feeders, I don't use food plots, I don't use fences, I do the real work - stalk, track, study, and scout. I do my homework on over 20,000 acres of rough virgin land. I have in my past been on leases where I did the modern baiting and killing. But I have evolved and moved on to more primitive skills and enjoy it. That is simply my opinion and my style. I had no expectation to even kill, I had my camera in my hand first! The dove were great! Wish I had a shotgun instead. I am not unrealistic . The only reason I was up for this was because I was asked to deliver a Bible devotion. Now, that was a success. Now you are entitled your opinion, and thank you. Really! This is the only reason I posted up. To hear everyone. Afterall it's called hunting not killing...
                              Hope everyone has a great end of the season, good luck, and make memories.

Comment

Working...
                              X