No announcement yet.

Deer at Matt Family Orchard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well here's what happened. First of all, I didn't get out there till 2:30 in the afternoon. Friday morning meeting at work screwed me up.

However, I was very impressed with the operation. The blind are arranged well and set up right. Rick Matt is a realy nice guy and we took a cruise around the place to get an idea of where I wanted to hunt. He showed me the hanging, cleaning, gutting, cutting area complete with running water and lights.

I choose a blind called *****. Ladder blind, nice and tall. 15 paces from base of blind to feeder, sun behind my left shoulder...beautiful. Plus I was able to park fairly close to the blind

Feeder went off at 4:00 as scheduled. Shortly after .....you could here stuff moving about. At 4:45 a Spike (big bodied) tippy toed thru the brush back behind my RIGHT shoulder. I watched as it crept around less that 10 yards away but no way to twist around and get the shot. About 5 minutes into that, A big Doe and two yearlings came in the same way and the 4 of them just stood there until I made a clammering sound while trying to get into a good position. Then they scattered. In retrospect, I should have just sat it out but I blew it. To have 4 deer under your tree for 10 minutes is an ETERNITY if you know what I mean. I didn't go home with a deer BUT I did go home with a memory of a GREAT hunt!!!

One last important comment about this place. Rick got a bunch of phone calls friday afternoon while I was with him. Everybody ask the same thing..."How many acres you got?".... Rick is extremely honest and always says it about 90 acres. HOWEVER....this is square in the middle of a much larger woods and deer don't know it's divided. They think the whole 2000+ acres is there home. This NOT a slamdunk hunt "gimme" hunt....it is real heart pounding, andrenalin pumping, dry mouth hunting, You pays yo money and takes yo chances.!!!! And this place was worth every penny.

I am going back at least two more time before deer season ends and more after ducks close. If you want more info....PM me!

Comment

Sounds like a nice place - appreciate the honest evaluation.

Comment

I've been there numerous times the past couple of years and it is a great place. I never got an opportunity for a shot on the deer I was looking for but I saw deer on nearly every outing. Rick Matt is a super nice guy and will take care of you. I would have definitely booked more hunts this season if I hadn't have gotten on a lease. And if you want to hunt hogs, he can definitely hook you up!

Comment

Just got an e-mail from Rick Matt. I sent him a link to this post when I typed it yesterday. It is a short message.

"Jim thanks for the nice post. Because of your post I'm full for the rest of the year. Thanks, Rick."

Comment

Mr Matt is a great guy. Wish I had more time to spend over there. Too close to the house not to take advantage of it.

Comment

CORRECTION..... Rick is NOT booked for the rest of the SEASON. I missunderstood. Sorry for the mis-information And call him. I'm going back out soon.

Comment

How is the hog hunting out there?

Comment

I only hunted for deer but I can tell you that there are a bunch of hogs out there. There is sign everywhere and I often spooked hogs in the evening when I would leave my stand. I think all the feeders have lights on them (I know the ones I hunted did) and Rick will let you hunt hogs at night. Plus there is no kill fee for hogs, you can stick as many as you want.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_B View Post
                    How is the hog hunting out there?
                    Ask me on Monday cause I'm giving a go this weekend and if it's got 4-legs....THWACK!!

Comment

It is now after Monday, so come on with the report TM

Comment

So......any hogs sighted lately? And what time of the day/night are they being spotted?

Comment

Working...
                        X