Kansas outfitters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas outfitters?

Bro-in-law and I are starting to plan a bow hunt first weekend of Nov ('16) in Kansas. I am not familiar with any outfitters up there or know anyone with personal experience.

Plan to continue my internet and forum searching for a bit but hoping some folks have recent experience / reviews.

Thanks!

Tagged....

Comment

what area are you planning on hunting?

Comment

A few years ago I hunted with Flint Hills Adventures. It was a great time and have been wanting to go back since but just haven't been able to make it happen.

Comment

I hunted with Git-R-Done outfitters last year. They are in north central Kansas, unit 8, or 9 I believe. The outfitter, Craig, and his guide, Mike, were really nice guys.

Pros -
          The people were really nice.
          Most of the stands are ladder stands, with mesh seats. This was really nice for all day sits.
          Several farms. This allowed us to move around, and not over hunt one area.
          Really nice deer...... on camera.

Cons -
          We stayed at a hotel in Topeka. The closest property was a 30 minute drive, and the furthest was over two hours. This got old real quick after sitting in a stand all day.
          To often they would place us in stands that were only one, or two hundred yards away from each other.
          I had two sits that were ruined by bull dozers working the fields. Another sit I had trucks driving in the field within 30 yards of me. While I don't blame the outfitter for this, he could have handled it much better.
          Very few deer were seen. Most sits I saw one deer a day, I only saw two deer once. One day I didn't see anything. I understand that It's hunting, and nothing is guaranteed, but for the money we were spending, I did expect to at least see a few deer.

I personally will not return. I talked with a guy who has hunted with him for three years, and he said it's been getting worse, and worse. He won't be back either. I wish the guy the best of luck, and I hope he does good because he is a nice guy, but I won't return.

Comment

Originally posted by Kicker View Post
            I hunted with Git-R-Done outfitters last year. They are in north central Kansas, unit 8, or 9 I believe. The outfitter, Craig, and his guide, Mike, were really nice guys.

Pros -
            The people were really nice.
            Most of the stands are ladder stands, with mesh seats. This was really nice for all day sits.
            Several farms. This allowed us to move around, and not over hunt one area.
            Really nice deer...... on camera.

Cons -
            We stayed at a hotel in Topeka. The closest property was a 30 minute drive, and the furthest was over two hours. This got old real quick after sitting in a stand all day.
            To often they would place us in stands that were only one, or two hundred yards away from each other.
            I had two sits that were ruined by bull dozers working the fields. Another sit I had trucks driving in the field within 30 yards of me. While I don't blame the outfitter for this, he could have handled it much better.
            Very few deer were seen. Most sits I saw one deer a day, I only saw two deer once. One day I didn't see anything. I understand that It's hunting, and nothing is guaranteed, but for the money we were spending, I did expect to at least see a few deer.

I personally will not return. I talked with a guy who has hunted with him for three years, and he said it's been getting worse, and worse. He won't be back either. I wish the guy the best of luck, and I hope he does good because he is a nice guy, but I won't return.
            hate to hear you had a bad time. Hunting in KS is nothing like Texas. The deer density is way different. it's not uncommon to see 2-3 a day while hunting there.

outfitters are tricky there too. We have one in our area that has a bad rep as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksbowhunter View Post
              what area are you planning on hunting?

None in particular planned for. In fact, doesn't even have to be Kansas per say. Just trying to keep around that 12hr drive from Houston mark.

Comment

Mt. Hide Outfitters. Steve Purviance is the owner and has land all over KS, OK, TX and NE.

Comment

Originally posted by TX Aggie '06 View Post
                  None in particular planned for. In fact, doesn't even have to be Kansas per say. Just trying to keep around that 12hr drive from Houston mark.

Which I guess opens up Missouri and souther/mid Illinois if I look at a map

Comment

MO is over the counter. KS is draw only and last year there was about 200 people in our unit that didn't get drawn. 12 hours from Houston gives you some options in northern KS. The deer are bigger there and hold more mass than in our area of SEKS but the population is stronger in SEKS. More hunters too.

it's a toss up. The problem with MO is you really need to get into the north part of MO to get to the quality deer. KS has good quality all across the state.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksbowhunter View Post
                      MO is over the counter. KS is draw only and last year there was about 200 people in our unit that didn't get drawn. 12 hours from Houston gives you some options in northern KS. The deer are bigger there and hold more mass than in our area of SEKS but the population is stronger in SEKS. More hunters too.

it's a toss up. The problem with MO is you really need to get into the north part of MO to get to the quality deer. KS has good quality all across the state.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I can talk my brother in law into a couple more hours in the truck if it means getting in with a better service in the northern part of the states or in Illinois.

Comment

I would check out the mid America hunting club. They have land in Missouri, Kansas, and Iowa!

Comment

My Dad had a good hunt with Red Dog outfitters. He hunted in Nebraska, took a nice buck, and plans to hit Kansas next time.

Comment

Check out Victory Bow Hunts and the owners name is Chad. I hunted with him this year and saw lots of deer and a few in the 150s to 160s just not in bow range. Took 142" buck on the last morning. The day before I arrived for my hunt a 164" deer was killed that should air on Full Draw Adventures. He is just getting started but limits his hunters because he is a hunter to and doesn't want to over pressure the deer. He has a very nice lodge that sports his 184" monster he shot a few years ago!

Comment

look at Wicked Outfitters. will be going back for my third year

Comment

Working...
                              X