Coastal Wings Guide Service-Bay City, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately had a horrible experience with these guys this weekend. Had a great weekend planned for hunting sandhill crane, ducks and geese but it turned out to be a joke. Based on my experience, the advertised experience on their website is a complete false advertisement.
    WE LOOK FORWARD TO HUNTING WITH YOU! We began our duck, goose and Sandhill crane hunting excursions on the coast of Texas in 2001. As the years passed, we expanded into more northern regions to provide our waterfowl hunters with the most rewarding hunting. With consistently high bird numbers and

We were told to meet at their lodge at 4:45 am to head out and get set up for sandhill crane. We did our part and ended up sitting at the lodge until nearly 5:45 am before we actually headed out to the fields, which were at least a 30 minute drive away. Website says they set up "100-150 sandhill crane decoys" but our guide only had 12 decoys. He was from Missouri and didn't even know where the heck he was. Nice guy but.... We sat in a huge field with 12 decoys until almost noon. Saw hundreds of cranes and geese flying all around but only two flew over us by chance and we got one. Waste of time.

The afternoon duck hunt was far worse. Again the guide was a really nice guy but also not from around here and wasn't even a duck hunter. After a 1 hr boat ride we arrived at our spot. Our spot was sitting out in the open on a beach in west matagorda bay. No blind. Did I mention he didn't have a retriever? Did I also mention he didn't even have a single duck call? If he had 36 decoys I'd be impressed. Ducks were flying everywhere but for obvious reasons they wouldn't come near us. Again it was a joke. We were told to start picking up the decoys 45 minutes to an hour before sunset while he went and got the boat. Why? Because we had to be back to the boat ramp before dark. Why? Because he didn't feel comfortable navigating the waters in the dark. Great....

So all told, a group of 4 paid this "guide service" $2,000 today for 1 sandhill crane and 2 ducks. And the only reason we killed those was pure luck and definitely not thanks to this "guide service". We would've done better on our own.

We have decided to head home and not show up for the goose hunt we had scheduled for tomorrow morning. We are really disappointed and I just felt the need to put the word out about our experience.

God bless.
    Last edited by The Real CWB; 12-20-2015, 12:12 AM.

Wow! That sounds just horrible. I understand birds may not cooperate but they should have given every effort to scout and set y'all up in the best possible area. Not having enough decoys is a down right joke, sure in some instances a bunch aren't needed but a dozen crane dekes? That's laughable. Now for the ducks, we rarely hunt out of a blind or with more than 3-4 dozen dekes and we do fairly well. Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear that your hunt was less than sub-par. Will you try and contact the owner for a complaint?

Comment

I would of never paid for that service!!!!!

Comment

I would definitely be having words with the guide service.

Comment

Why did you pay?

Comment

Originally posted by Je3749 View Post
            Why did you pay?

I think he said about $2000 for the group

Comment

Sorry you had a bad experience. I have been bitten several times in texas and louisiana by bad waterfowl outfitters. Do lots of homework before spending good money on outfitters. I like to go mostly by word of mouth.

If you still have the itch, i know Run&Gun has several openings and they are fair with prices. Plus Nick trains their own retrievers. Great group of guys and i have never not limited with them.
              Im planing on making a hunt with them soon if my schedule will allow

Comment

I would be demanding a refund. That is unacceptable

Comment

Originally posted by HELLRAZOR View Post
                  I would of never paid for that service!!!!!

Originally posted by Je3749 View Post
                  Why did you pay?

My buddy booked the hunt for us and he said they told him he had to pay up front over the phone with a credit card to book the hunt. I didn't find out until after I got here that he already paid for the whole trip. I told him right then and there that he was an idiot. The outfitter was already paid in full before we got here so no wonder he put zero effort into the hunts. I have never heard of an outfitter asking a client to pay in full prior to the hunt... Should've been a red flag. The only reason I paid is just because I didn't want my buddy to out the money but he has learned a huge lesson from this whole ordeal. He has contacted the outfitter and explained why we didn't show up for the goose hunt this morning and the guy (Larry) was full of excuses for his poor guides and sounds like any kind of refund wasn't even an option. Unbelievably unprofessional.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                    Sorry you had a bad experience. I have been bitten several times in texas and louisiana by bad waterfowl outfitters. Do lots of homework before spending good money on outfitters. I like to go mostly by word of mouth.

If you still have the itch, i know Run&Gun has several openings and they are fair with prices. Plus Nick trains their own retrievers. Great group of guys and i have never not limited with them.
                    Im planing on making a hunt with them soon if my schedule will allow

You hit the nail on the head! We ran into some folks last night who are in town from South Carolina to hunt with Run&Gun and they told us to call Daniel. He planned a last minute bay duck hunt for us this morning and it was awesome! All four of us got a limit on redheads and we also got some spoonbills and buffleheads. Great guide, great retriever, awesome boat, nice blind set up. All around good time. We will be back for future hunts with Run&Gun.
                    Happy Hunters:
                    Last edited by The Real CWB; 12-20-2015, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real CWB View Post
                      You hit the nail on the head! We ran into some folks last night who are in town from South Carolina to hunt with Run&Gun and they told us to call Daniel. He planned a last minute bay duck hunt for us this morning and it was awesome! All four of us got a limit on redheads and we also got some spoonbills and buffleheads. Great guide, great retriever, awesome boat, nice blind set up. All around good time. We will be back for future hunts with Run&Gun.
                      Happy Hunters:

Glad yall had a great trip. Daniel is a fellow O&G guy from houston.
                      Our last outing, we were goose hunting and the birds didnt cooperate. We switched gears and made a short location change and ended with 8 man limit of pintail and a few divers

Comment

Thanks for the report. They sure do a lot advertising to be running an outfit like that.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Poco View Post
                          Thanks for the report. They sure do a lot advertising to be running an outfit like that.

Ray

You're welcome. That's exactly why I wrote this. If you base a decision to book with Coastal Wings Guide Service by what you see and read online then you will be disappointed. We definitely got burned.

Comment

If I were your buddy, I would be having words with the owner as well as my credit card company to dispute the charges. He paid for the services and got a half *****ed. That is unacceptable. Regardless of full payment or not, they should be busting their rear to put yall on birds.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                              If I were your buddy, I would be having words with the owner as well as my credit card company to dispute the charges. He paid for the services and got a half *****ed. That is unacceptable. Regardless of full payment or not, they should be busting their rear to put yall on birds.

I completely agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X