Mesquite bowhunting ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesquite bowhunting ranch

I got back from the hunt Sat. The hunt was decent at best, I did manage to take a ram and two hogs. I went after axis but never saw one on stand. When I asked to be moved around, I was assuerd I was in the best place. The stands my buddy and I hunted in had very small windows to shoot through. The white tail doe were so skinny, we could see rib and hip bones. Gerald ran a feed route through the place at about 30 mph. The hogs came out straight away and ate most of it. They were skinny as well. He had one elk that looked as if it hadn't eaten in weeks.

IMO, the place is overstocked and severly underfed. We also felt like we were more of a burden for the ol' boy. Sad too, because I was planning on booking another hunt for my son and I. I booked there because I read alot of good things about the ranch on here but I will never go back. The operation is more of a joke than a serious hunting ranch.

The website advertised whitetail at 8pts or better. When we got there, we were told they would have to score at least 125. We also got charged for the tracking dog which is ok I guess, but we never asked for the tracking dog. Gerald just showed up and dropped the dog out.

We never really felt welcome there and leaving was the best part of the whole trip. I could go on and on about how bad the place was but I would hate to start rambling. I would not reccomend this place to anyone.

wow... that bad huh?

Comment

try the www.dosplumas.com allen is a great guy..tell him Drew sent you..we had a great time when we went...Lots of animals and you can hunt where ever on the property you want and he will corn where ever you want...Check out their site...

Comment

Originally posted by SAGEBRUSH ASSASSIN View Post
        try the www.dosplumas.com allen is a great guy..tell him Drew sent you..we had a great time when we went...Lots of animals and you can hunt where ever on the property you want and he will corn where ever you want...Check out their site...
        +1 for Dos Plumas!!!

Comment

Here's the website.

4.9 ⭐Reviews (280) Top-rated hog hunting ranch in Texas. Tired of Hidden Fees & Fake Discounts? Dos Plumas Hunting Ranch offers affordable hog hunts with No Hidden fees or surprise charges. This is a true all-inclusive Texas hog hunt at a reasonable price.

Comment

I called Keith Johns yesterday. I told him I just got back from Mesquite and he started laughing.(never a good sign) We talked about 15 miutes I guess and I told him I would book with him soon. Besides, everyone here seems to like his operation.

Comment

I had the same problem with Gerald several years ago. The man has a personality like a fence post. Some on here like him and his operation. I disagree with them.

Comment

Mbh

I was very disappointed too. I know what you mean about him running by very fast in his truck. Too many small hogs and small Rams on that place. There are some exotics but, they know where all the stands are and Gerald will only let you set up in some spots.

IMO, I would not tell someone to book there. He doesn't seem happy when you get an animal. I guess you get what you pay for. That's why I am going to spend a little more money and hopefully come back with a BB for once!

Comment

Originally posted by NTex View Post
                  +1 for Dos Plumas!!!
                  That link is not working.

Comment

4.9 ⭐Reviews (280) Top-rated hog hunting ranch in Texas. Tired of Hidden Fees & Fake Discounts? Dos Plumas Hunting Ranch offers affordable hog hunts with No Hidden fees or surprise charges. This is a true all-inclusive Texas hog hunt at a reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by NDavey View Post
                      I got back from the hunt Sat. The hunt was decent at best, I did manage to take a ram and two hogs. I went after axis but never saw one on stand. When I asked to be moved around, I was assuerd I was in the best place. The stands my buddy and I hunted in had very small windows to shoot through. The white tail doe were so skinny, we could see rib and hip bones. Gerald ran a feed route through the place at about 30 mph. The hogs came out straight away and ate most of it. They were skinny as well. He had one elk that looked as if it hadn't eaten in weeks.

IMO, the place is overstocked and severly underfed. We also felt like we were more of a burden for the ol' boy. Sad too, because I was planning on booking another hunt for my son and I. I booked there because I read alot of good things about the ranch on here but I will never go back. The operation is more of a joke than a serious hunting ranch.

The website advertised whitetail at 8pts or better. When we got there, we were told they would have to score at least 125. We also got charged for the tracking dog which is ok I guess, but we never asked for the tracking dog. Gerald just showed up and dropped the dog out.

We never really felt welcome there and leaving was the best part of the whole trip. I could go on and on about how bad the place was but I would hate to start rambling. I would not reccomend this place to anyone.
                      This hunt sounds about right. But O lord do not talk about his operation on here. I got several e-mails from him asking why I was talking about his operation some time ago, I would never go there again either.

Comment

Originally posted by NDavey View Post
                        I called Keith Johns yesterday. I told him I just got back from Mesquite and he started laughing.(never a good sign) We talked about 15 miutes I guess and I told him I would book with him soon. Besides, everyone here seems to like his operation.
                        Good move. Keith is a top notch guy. When you to his place you will see what day hunting is all about.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Nate. Nothing worse in my opinion then having a guide that wont work with ya. How many days were you hunting and you didn't see a Axis and he wouldn't move ya. Almost sound to me like he didn't want you to kill a Axis.

Comment

We hunted 2 days. I saw the axis when he took us for a tour but never on stand and he was not willing to move me around. Running a hunting ranch myself, I know it is hard to guarentee a certain animal but I would never tell my customers they couldn't move. Heck, most of the time I am more excited than my hunters when they make a kill.

Comment

Man I'm sorry to hear about the hunt. But you did made the right call giving Keith a call. He'll do what it takes to make his customers happy. That and he has, by far, the best tracking dog bar none & it's free.

Comment

Working...
                              X