Active Duty/Retired Military: Escondido Ranch Freer, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Active Duty/Retired Military: Escondido Ranch Freer, TX

I know this thread will only apply to a few members of the forum, but I figured I'd pass it along for any military guys that might be reading. The ranch is just under 7000 acres, they offer hunts fo deer, hogs, turkey, dove, and quail. It's located 30 minutes Northwest of Freer, and is open to active duty and retired military personnel. They have a nice lodge, good stands, and a walk-in freezer for your kill. It has a small staff, but they do a good job managing things. You can't beat the prices (unless you own land) and it's reasonably close to Austin/San Antonio/Houston. I just went there last weekend to hunt hogs, got rained out but still had a good time, and I plan to go back for opening day of bow season. Shoot me a pm if you'd like more information and I can send you their latest information and prices via email.

I hunted out there back in the mid 90's, while stationed in Corpus Christi. Pretty neat place. Now that I'm back in TX again, I need to plan another trip down there. The Naval Airstation in Kingsville also used to let us hunt on their property. I got 5 bucks out of there in 3 years, including the one in my avatar. Wasn't a GREAT place, but something is better than nothing.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I might have to make the drive down.

Comment

Originally posted by Justaguy View Post
        Wasn't a GREAT place, but something is better than nothing.
        If the shoe fits....then wear it!!

Honestly guys this would be the only reason I would send anyone to here, is if you truly didn't have a place to go.

I have 2 guys who used to work for me that currently work there on Temporary Duty. The only type of hunting that is allowed is where you go sit in a blind, and you must sit there and not move. If you shoot something, you have to wait until after dark/other hunters are done to retrieve your game. We lost 3 hogs this way hunting in the morning last summer there. We killed them right at sun up, but with other hunters in the blinds, we could not go track them down for safety reasons/curteousy of not spoiling the other hunters oppertunities.

Comment

Originally posted by Videographer View Post
          If the shoe fits....then wear it!!

Honestly guys this would be the only reason I would send anyone to here, is if you truly didn't have a place to go.

I have 2 guys who used to work for me that currently work there on Temporary Duty. The only type of hunting that is allowed is where you go sit in a blind, and you must sit there and not move. If you shoot something, you have to wait until after dark/other hunters are done to retrieve your game. We lost 3 hogs this way hunting in the morning last summer there. We killed them right at sun up, but with other hunters in the blinds, we could not go track them down for safety reasons/curteousy of not spoiling the other hunters oppertunities.
          Yeah, that would suck. When I hunted there, we didn't have to stay in the blinds, but had to stay in the area of the blind. Back then they only had about 6 or 7 blinds. So I'd venture a few hundred yards in either direction and looks for sign or patterns. But I always knew where the other stands were, and would talk to the other hunters before we went to the stands to find out what they were planning to do. I don't think many of us ever sat solely in our stand because they put the feeders and stands in the most ridiculous places.

Comment

pm sent.

Comment

Information has been sent to all who've inquired.

It is true that you have to stay in the stand during the hunt, however it didn't affect the recovery of any game while I was there. They only have a few tripods that are within range for bowhunting, but they do their best to accommodate bowhunters. They took me to three different locations before the hunt and let me decide where I wanted to set up the ground blind, so that made me happy. Unfortunately I didn't see any hogs, did kill a coon though, but I guess that's why they call it hunting right?

I would much rather prefer to have my own lease where I get to scout and put my blinds in during the pre-season, however life in the military rarely permits that, in fact this past weekend was the first time I've been able to hunt in two years. So yes, it's not the perfect situation, but for people in my situation it's a welcome blessing. If you have a better place to hunt by all means go for it, but if you don't have the time or money to invest in an annual lease or an expense day lease than I would recommend looking into it.
              Last edited by agtex42; 08-25-2008, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X