Opinions of Thompson Temple....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions of Thompson Temple....

Ok guys, so, I'm comin down to Texas in December to visit the inlaws before Christmas. I want to shoot a decent ram while I'm down there. I saw Thompson Temple's place is $190/ram. My question is, does he have some good ones or am I better off goin to a day lease like Keith Johns or Bar E? Also, what are my chances of gettin a ram at TT? I know at Bar E I'd kill one, I've gone there and love it, but would rather not pay the 350 and not see any hogs. Does KJO have alot of hogs too?

Thanks in advance,
    MM

It is a good place to hunt. You can make it as hard of a hunt as you want or as easy a hunt as you want.

You should have no problem getting a ram at TT, hog maybe.

Comment

If you don't kill a ram of your choice, it is because you did not want to shoot. There used to be some hogs there as well, but i have not been there in a while. Great plce and to echo the above reply you can make it as easy or as hard as you choose.
      Good Luck. Thompson is great people..

Comment

MM:

The rams that he has there for the $190 are usually youth rams and dont have much of a curl. He has the rams tagged by color. I honestly forgot what each of them represent, but depending on the color is the set price. If you want a NICER one, I think they are about $600 range and he does have a setup there on a seperate enclosure where these Rams are in. Some of them are real nice. You may want to talk to him first if you are looking for something in particular. He is usually covered up with corsicans, Texas dalls & rambolas.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I shot a record book merino there for $180, no tag. I also shot record book corsican and 4 horns that were $360 each. Lots of animals at Thompsons. Beautiful scenery. The lodging is not good/ bad at best. Thompson is a nice guy, but he is a businessman as well. He has been known for over booking the ranch. He says he can hunt up to 16 hunters. I have been there when there were 26. And that was with rifle hunters mixed in. Way too many people for me. Hunts are on weekends only. Rams are about the only animals you will see.

From what I have heard here and from what buddys have told me, Keith Johns is the place to go. Many different species of animals, hogs and very nice sleeping quarters. You can hunt any time of the week and only up to 8 hunters at a time.

Hope this helps and good luck finding a hunt.

Comment

Thompson Temple

My family and I hunted with him 15 YEARS AGO , We had fun , we went on some 150 ram hunts . But one word we did here from the guide was "UPGRADE " .

Comment

i like the place to a certain extent. the ram in my avatar came from there. i made it a fairly hard hunt. go climb and spot and stalk and see how you like that. dont shoot one of the rams off the feed. they dont care if your there or not. i didnt go to stay in a five star lodge so it was just fine with me. thompson is a nice guy, everyone we stayed with in camp was cool. the other camp? not so. bunch of trigger happy guys that like a canned hunt and want to brag about what they did. its wirth the price. but i havent been anywhere else for rams to compare.

Comment

THOMPSON TEMPLE - great guy, shares information, nothing to Hide.
                i only killed one ram out there a few years ago - but i still go every year just for a Vacation to get away to some new scenery.
                i buy, sell, breed, and stock ranches w/ Exotic Type Rams, i deal with them every day so i have no desire to kill them. He has an Easy Hunt.. but its still Fun and a Very Nice Ranch to spend a weekend, expecially when the weather is cool. The lodging is not a "hotel" but i could care less - i have never been used to staying in High Dollar accomodations anyway.

KEITH JOHNS OUTDOORS - I never met the Guy, Most likely runs a good hunt from what i have heard. But i will not hunt there or send hunters i book hunts for. I had a call from him many months ago, he needed a group of rams to put on the ranch THAT WEEKEND for some Hunters, so i rushed and put together a group of decent shooter rams, at the price he wanted..
                Then -- Never got a return phone call, or return e-mail - after several attempts. I LOST money on those Rams because I rushed and put together this order he needed quickly, I would have at least expected a Return Call or e-mail to tell me "we already got some" or.. "we dont need any now"
                but i received no reply, and lost several hundred dollars on that deal.
                This is NOT His Fault - since I didnt require a deposit for the rams .. I made the mistake of Spending Cash to get the order together. the way i do business, People tell me what they want - I find them, buy them and sell them.. and sometimes the Buyer already got some quicker, which is fine. expecially when they call me Back and TELL ME.
                other than that ... although my experiance does not have anything to do w/ the type of hunt he runs. I hear its a Good Hunt.

Comment

Comment

Bar E

Last I heard, Bar-E is booked solid into 2009. At least that's the word I got when I tried to book about a month ago. Wouldn't hurt to check with them, but just have a back-up.

Comment

Working...
                    X