Meat Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patriot-2000 View Post
    I would love to go to KJO but NO Crossbows allowed and I'l have to look into Baker 3 ranch.

TTT ... Anybody know of any others.
    Originally posted by Patriot-2000 View Post
    I know it seems More like Hunting is a BIG Business ... Plus I understand expenses ... But some places are "Out of Control by charging 3X -5X what they paid" That's why I will limit myself until I can get my OWN piece of Texas.
    On a Light note, I found a place near Rocksprings that will charge $200 for an Axis and that includes lodging & meals. I'll get some feedback after further searching.
    Usually the reason some places charge 3 to 5X what they paid is because they have a much higher success rate then the cheaper places so they have to charge more to keep the success rate high. Just because a animal cost $200 they can't charge $200 to $300 unless the success rate is low because they still have the expense of hauling the animal to their ranch, feeding the animal, maintaining everything involved and so on. So when you really look at it, that $200 animal probably cost them more like $500-$700 when it's all said and done. I can tell you that hunt for $200 including lodging and meals has to have a very low success rate or they are loosing money. Heck if I were a outfitter for free range hogs(I'm all set up for it but don't offer hunts) I wouldn't even consider charging only $200 for a two day hunt that included lodging and meals because I wouldn't make anything after all the expenses and the hogs cost me nothing. I do know places that offer lodging(no meals) and hog hunts for $100 a day but that is not how they make their money. They make their money off the more expensive exotic hunts and they hope while you are there you will decide to pay for one of the Exotics. If you want to kill a pig the best place I know is Double L just outside of Victoria, TX. The cost is $100 and includes a night of lodging and has a extremely high success rate as far as shots on a hog. Double L also has a very high success rate on their exotics but they will cost you a lot more then you want to spend.

Comment

Go to an exotic auction. Exotic doe like axis are in the $300 range. Sometimes more. Blackbuck doe are still fairly reasonable but yield a lot less meat that is not as tasty as axis. Red hinds and elk cows are much higher. Yes some of the ranches are high. And I have been on low end hunts, like the Baker3ranch and nicer hunts with decent lodging, provided meals and a full time one on one guide. I normally go somewhere in between like threefingersbowhunting and get game as well as having it skinned, quartered and put on ice for me. A little more expensive than what you want to pay maybe, but not much. I always get shots and if I leave with an empty ice chest it is because I chose to. And he is not making money on the operation I assure you. Having worked with a guy who sold hunts and knowing what he paid for meals and lodging for his hunters I can tell you it's not an inexpensive process. There are places you can hunt hogs dirt cheap. But axis are a sought after exotic for the meat, horns and hide. Supply and demand. By the way Ben has axis as well.

Comment

Making relationships with ranch managers or guides helps out a lot also in some situations, me and my cousins have a meat hunt in rock springs in 2 wks! It's a 3 day hunt $450 each hunter all the axis does you can harvest it's a exclusive bow hunt only, then again my cousin is real close with the guide on his lease in del rio

Comment

I'm sure ranches that have good prices that you've seen that say no crossbow will make an exception due to your injury

Comment

Working...
          X