Brushy hill review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brushy hill review

My good friend and I spent a 2 day hunt at Brushy Hill Lodge this past weekend NOV 29th-DEC 1st. It was my first day lease experience and I thought I'd drop a line on how it went and maybe help out others who are travelling for their first time there.

1. Travel: We drove 9 hours from El Paso to get there. Straight East on I10 and then South on 83. We got pretty fired up seeing all the animals on either side of the road behind the high fences. On the way home we took HWY 90 West for most of the trip. Much cooler views than I10 and only 30 mins longer.

2. ARRIVAL/LODGING/OWNERS: We met Pete and Ava at the office and in-processed in about 20 mins and were straight to the cabin. They are good salt of the earth people and we enjoyed our time meeting them. They go over the rules and have you sign your waiver/agreement at that time.
    Take the time to get to know them.

3. CABINS: Cabins are bunk beds (twin size) and you'll be in with people you may know or not. No linens so bring a sleeping bag. One shower per cabin where we were. Charcoal grills outside and a kitchen with stove and fridge on the side. Definitely not the lap of luxury but you're there to hunt.

4. SEMI-GUIDED vs UNGUIDED: If it's your first time and you're doing a short hunt I definitely recommend the SEMI-GUIDED. Nick is an outstanding guide and he'll set you up in a fully brushed in double bull blind (see pics) that I didn't even recognize when we drove up on it. He does it right and I had 5 deer on me the first afternoon. They knew the blind was there but it was so well brushed in they couldn't see me move. If you can get set up on the corn route I strongly recommend it. I did sit a tree stand that I personally hung the last night and could have shot a doe and a sub-standard 8Point at dark. They both picked me out immediately but I could have had a shot opportunity.

5. DEER: There are plenty there. 14" min inside spread on bucks and we saw deer that met that criteria, spikes or does. In the morning we had no luck and saw very few deer. In the evenings when the corn route is run it's like they rang the dinner bell. Some folks didn't hunt the mornings, but some did and saw a few deer. We had a warm snap and that contributed to slower movement. The deer are really spooky as they're hunted EVERY DAY. It's not a spot to try your luck as a beginner, but if you're a seasoned hunter you have more than a fair chance.

6. LENGTH OF STAY: I will not go again without a minimum of 4-5 days to hunt. 2 days was just too short. Also it helps to be able to scout and pattern. If you go for 2 and you've never been before, then get Nick's partial or fully guided deal. Well worth the money.

7. PRICE: $180 per day plus $125 for the semi-guided. Well worth it.

8. GEAR: Fixed blade broadheads only, buy a 50lb bag of corn and take a gallon bag to the blind to corn your shooting lanes and killing bushes...broadcast it(they won't come near a pile). Didn't use rattling horns or grunt calls at all or any scents. These deer have seen it all every day and the best option is to ninja it in. I also used a stick in the ground bow holder in the blind that was very user friendly. For cell service AT&T is money to be online in the blind on your smart phone. All others not so much.

So that's our rundown. A good trip and we'll be back. Feel free to hit me up with any questions! PC
    Attached Files

had a great time and you and your buddies stories were awesome thanks for the laughs and next time i see a helicopter riding beside a big truck i will know it is you lol!!!

Comment

Thanks for the information Paul! I'm headed down there January 1-4 and I'm taking advantage of the semi-guided opportunity with Nick.

Comment

A+++++++++++++++ review !!!! - c

Comment

Any kill fees?

Comment

No Kill Fees!!

Comment

Originally posted by coopaloop108 View Post
              had a great time and you and your buddies stories were awesome thanks for the laughs and next time i see a helicopter riding beside a big truck i will know it is you lol!!!
              That was one of my coolest flights :-)

Comment

This will be my 4th year, hunt is Dec.11th---16th, its always been just my daughter and I but taking 6 more guys this year, Nick always does setup's for us, he is a great guy and helps all he can. Hope to have pic's of some big one's after are hunt.

God Bless
                Bish.

Comment

Good luck Bish!

Comment

Love me some hog heaven south. What part of the pasture were you set up in?

Comment

That was an excellent review and spot on about how to hunt there

Comment

Take a left out the gate from the camp and drive about a mile on the corn road.

Comment

Working...
                        X