Back from Dos Plumas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from Dos Plumas

My son and I just got back from Dos Plumas in Trent, Texas. We were after hogs, but got to see all the critters from blackbucks to corsican rams to buffalo to oinkers of every size. The pattern of the hogs movement was to come out to the feeders just before dark. Every hunter there saw pigs and got shots just before dark. Some groups of pigs had 50+ animals. Alot of small ones - good for future hunts, but some monsters also. We sat the stands in the mornings also, but never saw pigs in the mornings.

Anyway, we came back with three pigs. Should've had four because I put an arrow through one and trailed it about 100 yards after dark the first night, but never did find it. I suspect the arrow was high in the no-man's zone above it's shoulder.

Proud of the boy who put on a good hunt and made two PERFECT shots on his pigs (one at 100 pounds, the other about 50 pounds). On his big sow, he heard a bunch of activity away from his stand and feeder, so he left the feeder and set up behind a burm and down wind. The sow came in along with some other pigs, on its' way to feed. Son whistled to stop the pig, and she stopped just long enough to get an arrow in the heart. Ran about 10 yards and piled up. Pic is below hopefully.

I would highly recommend Dos Plumas - we'll try to go back next year. Allen Williams and his hand Roger are good guys, and will see that you get done what you want.
    Attached Files

Congrats on the hammage!!!!!!

Comment

Thats cool man, my folks have the place that borders it to the west towards teh mountain and the windmills. I always wondered how the hunting was there.

Comment

just right!!!!!!!!

Comment

congrats to you and your son

Comment

Thats great to hear I have booked a hunt in late may and can not wait to go. One question you may can answer for me what kind of blinds do you hunt out of? Congrats on getting a nice hog.

Comment

Originally posted by pdaddy21 View Post
              Thats great to hear I have booked a hunt in late may and can not wait to go. One question you may can answer for me what kind of blinds do you hunt out of? Congrats on getting a nice hog.
              Allen has quad pods set up on all the feeders (height between 6 feet and about 15 feet). When the weather is "normal" and the wind is consistent, the stands are downwind and you are good. On our last day, a front was coming in and the wind reversed. Both son and I got out of the stands and just brushed in some hidey holes downwind of the corn. Son used a burm and some tumbleweeds. I used a tree and some brush. I was exposed on the back side, but had never seen pigs coming from that direction. Of course, being exposed meant that was the direction they'd come from, and they did. I was rock still until a big blond sow (she was a purty one!!) crossed my field of vision. I could hear them snorting away the whole time they were coming in. If I would have just waited for them to get to the corn, I'd a had a great shot, as designed. But no, I had to try to draw as they came in, and she busted me. As I sat there, two more groups came in and I got my piggie. Missing the chance at that big sow, though, is something I'll never forget. Oh well...maybe next year

Good luck. You'll have a blast.

Comment

wow thats just awesome

Comment

Thanks for the info. It sounds like you had a great time. Look forward to sharing my stories from my hunt

Comment

Good job! DEAD PIG

Comment

Working...
                    X