Brushy Hill Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brushy Hill Report

Well, I've never hunted a day lease before, so be aware that I have nothing to judge this review against.

Me and two buddes booked mid summer for a 3 day hunt at Brushy Hill. I had decided to go there, based on price, and reviews I read here.

This is my 8th season bowhunting, but due to the fact that Im limited to hunting "family land" in Deep East Texas, shots are few and far between. In fact, in all my previous years, Ive only had three shots at whitetail, none of which connected. The two other hunters are novice, even compared to my extremely limited experience, and the "goal" of the trip was to see some deer, test our ability to get it right and get close without getting busted, and hopefully get a shot. We did not go into this with expectations of bagging a monster.

Called Nick during summer, and due to the fact that Pete and Ava were out of town, Nick was running the booking for that time. He said he could get us on the Hog Heaven for the time we were looking at, and it was reserved.

We left this past monday, after working all night, and got to the ranch at around 12:30. We paid for Nick to set us up some spots to hunt, so after dropping gear at camp, we were shown how to get to our spots.

Settled in the blind, and within an hour I had does and a yearling in front of me. After watching them most of the evening hunt, I connected with the doe that did not have a young'n. Took an 18 yard shot, quartering away and let the Hoyt powered 100g vipertrick do its job. Quick recovery, (though there was hardly ANY trail). I was forced to walk the route she had taken post shot. 40 Yards, DRT. (I do have pictures, but Im still unpacking and they will be posted asap). First bow kill done, and the pressure was off to relax, and explore our area to hunt.

Did quite a bit of scouting in my remaining time there. Hunted my pre set up stand about half remaining time, and hunted fresh sign I found the other half.

Seemed to be slow movement in the morning, but I saw deer on every evening hunt.

Wind and heat seemed to hurt us toward the end of the hunt.

As for what I had read about the "Camp"... I had nothing bad to say about the accomodations for the money paid. Roof, Bed, Running water, shower and electricity.. If you're hoping for more, you may be asking a little much from such a well priced day lease with the ammt of deer movement in my opinion.

totals for our three person trip were one doe down, one doe missed, one turkey missed... All saw deer, met cool people at camp, killed alot of beer, got away from the house, and had fun shooting the bull with nick.

I will be back for sure.

PM Me if you have any questions, I'll help how I can.

Hog Heaven South

Glad yall had a good Trip. Go back after Thanksgiving and see the big boys.

Comment

That's what it's a about, nice job!

Comment

finally got the uploads..
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X