Dublin High Fence Craigslist Ad Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dublin High Fence Craigslist Ad Hunt

I bought this hunt because it seemed like a good deal and the guy had a place to sleep. Advertised at $400 for two day, I thought why not.

What was explained on the phone.
    350+ acres of high fence
    8 pt or smaller
    1 buck and 1 doe
    Stands and feeders provided
    Nice ranch house, but not a mansion
    Needed to take 40 deer off the place
    Only 4 hunters at a time
    Lots of 130+ eights

Arrived and meet Frank, the guy running the place. Went through the paper signing and rules. Shown a map of the ranch and stands. I picked a stand over acorns and corn. Considering it was dark and I had no idea how the place looked, I thought that would be my best bet.

Next day a storm blew in and hunting was tough. Saw only a few deer and most were hauling tail. The wind had them on edge. The ranch is mostly alfalfa fields with timbered creek bottoms. Deer basically hang there. Some hill top with cedars. Probably more suited to rifle hunting. The evening hunt was just as bad, a couple of does. Sunday's hunt was cool and clear, deer everywhere but feeders. Saw a nice shooter 8, but out of the 30+ deer I saw most were yearlings. Nothing came within 100 yards. Some of the other guys saw deer, mostly yearlings.

Probably not a good place to hunt right now, but once the acorns are gone it the success rate will go up. Not a bad deal, just don't go into it thinking you are going to kill a 130+ eight pointer.

The facts.
    The place is only high fenced because it is surrounded by a game ranch. Still not a bad thing.
    Stands and feeders are new. Feeders are 20 to 30 yards.
    Host is nice and tells some good stories. He lets you have your own time also.
    Ranch house is old, but clean and bug free. Toilet and shower work, as well as the kitchen. Beds are just ok.
    There is record book elk on the property and he is huge. He also comes to grunt calls, so be careful. At night the place sounds like Africa outside. Crazy sounds coming from the high fence game ranch.
    Success rate looks to be around 10 to 20 percent.

Good luck and please let me know if anyone else has success there.
Working...
X