Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

kieth johns outdoors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP thanks for posting.
    I like a guys honest opinion or question of procedures.

Comment

Been down here since Thur ... KJO is right on par with my previous visits here ... Fantastic hospitality, great folks, & lotsa game. I've seen animals every sit (even got my 1st bowkill!). Everytime we leave th camphouse, Keith asks what time do we wanna get picked up, nobody has ever felt rushed, and Keith has moved folks around so all get their opp at animals etc.
      OP, I will say that everbody in our group discussed this thread in detail & none of us have had any similar experiences. This is not intended to be negative.towards you in any way, rather an honest account of our hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by longhorn_cop View Post
        OP thanks for posting.
        I like a guys honest opinion or question of procedures.
        X2

Comment

I just got back from KJO this afternoon and am working on a write up and review, but...

Originally posted by DrenalinJunkie View Post
          He makes no bones about it that the ranch gets hunted almost daily.
          Definitely. Keith mentioned this often and was almost apologetic that the hunting was so hard because everything so green.

Hunting a 60 acre section? Never had it happen. Unless someone does not want to give up their stand, we have always moved around.
          I felt like Keith was putting the various hunters in places where they could best fill their desired animals. My son and I hunted 4 different spots in 4 sits that were scattered all around the ranch. My son wanted to sit in the hayring stand this morning in hopes of seeing a ram, so Keith graciously obliged.

You are sadly mistaken about him not wanting you to shoot anything. I have never seen an outfitter get more excited about a hunter shooting something. Sometimes more excited than the hunter.
          I can doubly substantiate this. Keith even put Blue on a trail of a small pig (something I understand that does not often happen) I shot so my son could get his hands on it. When we found it, we were all having a blast and nobody was more happier than Keith.

We talked about that moment the whole weekend. The sheer joy that we all experienced after recovering and finishing off the hog was amazing.

Sorry to hear your experience was not as positive. We had a great time. Just listened to and trusted what Keith and Coop said and we all drew blood.

Comment

There are 2 types of day leases: the first you pay for the entire package or animal you choose, and the fee remains the same no matter the animal size. The good thing is that they are alot cheaper because they know a certan % of hunters ar enot going to kill and they count on it. If everyone killed they would loose money. In KJO's defense he always gets positive accolades. He has a small place and the animals are hunted hard, but he is cheapest. What I dont like about day leases is the pressure to shoot the first thing you see, but the price is great.
            The second is Trophy Fees: I personally perfer this type of hunt. If I go home without an animal I'm just out some guide fees and some lodging. You also have a guide trying to get you exactly what you want. The negative they cost more.
            It sounds to me you should stick to Trophy Fee hunts, or give Keith another shot...

Comment

Ohh... I forgot to add, People settle down... Its just one hunting group sharing there experience followed by some questions. It is by the way the sole purpose of Rate The Day Lease. In my opinion everyone has truly rebuttled his experience and made your point. KJO's is a good place to hunt... we all agree
              Happy Hunting... I just might call Kieth (I'm out of axis meet)

Comment

This thread has been entertaining.
                Some surprises some not so much. All and all I wouldn't let this one review keep me from going and don't think the op was bashing. In my opinion.
                Last edited by Sparkles; 04-15-2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Some should switch from tighty whities to boxers....

KJO treated me and my group that was in camp very well! I'd go back again!!

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
                    Ohh... I forgot to add, People settle down... Its just one hunting group sharing there experience followed by some questions. It is by the way the sole purpose of Rate The Day Lease. In my opinion everyone has truly rebuttled his experience and made your point. KJO's is a good place to hunt... we all agree
                    Happy Hunting... I just might call Kieth (I'm out of axis meet)
                    absolutely! case closed

Comment

Originally posted by codyw2006 View Post
                      he had us on about a 60 acre piece the whole time
                      Tells me all I need to know. Sry to hear about your hunt, why I don't hunt day leases/pens

Comment

Originally posted by Agsfight View Post
                        this is the dumbest **** thread I have ever read. The guy gives his opinion and everyone gets there panties in a wad about it.
                        yep!! They should change the name to "only post if it's a positive review thread".

because some people only wanna hear the good and bash people for tellign the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunterBall View Post
                          Tells me all I need to know. Sry to hear about your hunt, why I don't hunt day leases/pens
                          Sry. You have been misinformed ... 400+ acres to hunt. Went down 2 wks ago & saw lotsa game. Hunted lotsa different setups & amimals at every sit. Not a penned opp as you've been mistakenly led to believe. KJO is a good, fun outfit to hunt.

Not on th bandwagon or payroll, but offering an opinion based off experience. There are alot of folks offering 1st hand experience, but also some with opinions that prolly aint hunted there or want a guaranteed kill.

Comment

The guy posts his opinion.
                            Everyone in business knows you cant make 100% of your customers happy.
                            But its comical how everyone defends the ranch.
                            Kinda silly if you ask me.
                            You guys bring more attention to the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ElWhompo View Post
                              Sry. You have been misinformed ... 400+ acres to hunt. Went down 2 wks ago & saw lotsa game. Hunted lotsa different setups & amimals at every sit. Not a penned opp as you've been mistakenly led to believe. KJO is a good, fun outfit to hunt.

Not on th bandwagon or payroll, but offering an opinion based off experience. There are alot of folks offering 1st hand experience, but also some with opinions that prolly aint hunted there or want a guaranteed kill.
                              See my point below. I didn't say anything as I have never been there. But yall don't need to bash people who rate it in a negative way! Their opinion/rating is just that.....theirs!

Originally posted by longhorn_cop View Post
                              The guy posts his opinion.
                              Everyone in business knows you cant make 100% of your customers happy.
                              But its comical how everyone defends the ranch.
                              Kinda silly if you ask me.
                              You guys bring more attention to the thread.
                              This is my point. Like people only wanna hear the positives! RATING involves the good and bad

Comment

Being rushed out for a larger more expensive group? Keith hunts EVERY group the same. I highly doubt he was trying to get rid of you other than he had another group coming in. He makes no bones about it that the ranch gets hunted almost daily. So if you seemed rushed, it was nothing more than others coming in.

Hunting a 60 acre section? Never had it happen. Unless someone does not want to give up their stand, we have always moved around.

Spot and stalk RARELY works out there due to the fact it gets hunted.

And if you payed for a package, why would he not want to make up for the cost of adding an animal to that package?

You are sadly mistaken about him not wanting you to shoot anything. I have never seen an outfitter get more excited about a hunter shooting something. Sometimes more excited than the hunter.

Every stand on that place is a GOOD stand. BUT, the animals are smart. You better bring your A game to KJO.

Funny that when I talked to him everyone seemed to be having a great time and were killing animals.

I have been hunting there for about 6 years and never had this experience with Keith or anyone who has ever worked for him.
                                That's spot on, maybe your group was possibly being too rowdy since it was a bachelor party? That's not like Keith at all. Of course we have never been cross. So I could not tell you how the guy is if that happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X