My weekend @ Quatro B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My weekend @ Quatro B

Thanks to everyone who put up reviews for this place, it helped me deciding to go there. This was a solo trip. Sorry its a little long.

Day 1: Arrived at the ranch and was immediately greeted by Carlos. He was ready to go! After all the paper work was done I took a few minutes to take a look at the lodge. You can read about that later.
    I quickly changed into my hunting camo, and stepped outside to be greeted with a great view of a few of the ranch's offerings. A couple black bucks stepped out and joined the fallow doe that were already there at the front protein feeder.
    I wanted to shoot a few arrows to make sure my pins were on and warm up a little. I even tried out my newly purchased broad heads that would lead to a few kills! Well, I was a little off and adjusted and was dead on. At that point, Carlos was rearing to get in the stand and get a good sit on.
    We make the ride out and I can’t get over the landscape. You are riding on an old tire test track with mesquite brush and cactus just inside. On the way out we see 2 groups of piggies, so I know I’m in for a good evening! I get on stand, and acquaint myself with the surroundings. I make sure I can draw in my lanes, take a few range readings, then get quiet. Carlos dropped corn and got out of dodge. I didn’t have to wait long to see a couple fallow doe come in and feed. I would later find out that they are about as crazy as an animal can get.
    The fallow feed a few yards up, and I enjoy the company, but soon hear the squeals and snorts from what I assume are the group I saw on the way in. They are moving fast crunching corn on the road, fighting each other for every kernel. I get on my A game at that point, bow ready, and wait. And wait. And wait. It was maybe 5 minutes. A group of 5 pigs come in and hold up in front of my stand. I pick a nice little 40lber and get ready. I aim at the sweet spot, and squeeze off my first arrow. It hits hard. Thwack! I’m pumped! I can hear another group a few minutes later coming in, and there is about 10 in this one. I pick out a much larger so. She is harassing the others around her, put my pin on her and release. At the same time, she jump turns and ninja kicks a smaller pig in the face, and my arrow chews away some fat in the brisket area.

Day 2: On occasion my phone charger decides not to work right. My phone shut off sometime during the night. Carlos and I had spoke about it the night before, and I always say, if I’m not there when we are supposed to go, don’t wake me up! Well, he left w/ the other guests and didn’t wake me up. There was a donkey that decided I had all the sleep I needed, as that sound woke me up after daylight. I quickly shot a text and got dressed. I had already missed the morning hunt, and didn’t want to mess w/ the others. We check the trap lines to find a few bobcats which I got to take 1 of them.
    Afternoon stalk, we get out there and chase pigs all around! We had a lot of close encounters with them, but with all the brush and the pigs running all over the place no shots were made.
    Evening comes and we load up to go hunt. I am last to stand and am up no more than 5 minutes when I realize the wind is coming from my back. I inform Carlos and he quickly gets me to another stand. I had some pigs come in, and a couple held up under me. I draw back and release, and watch my arrow nose dive into the dirt, bounce up and fall into the trees. I am like, ***!? Did I hit my jacket? Did it hit a branch? No, the nock stayed on my string and my arrow went flying! I decide to get down and stalk some more. I got on the pigs pretty quickly and had some at a few yards, but didn’t see one I wanted to take. I move back toward my stand to wait for pickup and gather my gear. Out steps a lone large boar, big cutters maybe 60 yards up the road. I make like a tree and stand still; he is feeding slowly toward me. I start inching my way up the road to close the gap. After 20 minutes of me moving slowly toward him and him feeding toward me, I finally get in range. I start to edge myself to get a good broadside shot and draw my bow back to wait for him to turn a little. I have my pin set on him hard qtr towards me. All he has to do is turn so I can get the shot. I hear the rumble of the jeep coming to get me, and next thing I know am lit up by headlights. The pig decides he had enough and bailed out. No shot.

Day 3 starts early, this time I am up on time. Get out to stand and am sitting for maybe 10 minutes and have some WT bust me. They didn’t like me being there. Short time later some pigs come down the road and bust me as well, they circle behind me and to my left. They hit the road and come right back toward me. I let a small group pass with no shot. The second group comes in, and I spot a cool looking black and white one. Drop an arrow on him, and make a solid hit. About 2 minutes later, another group of smaller pigs come in, and I pick out the largest of the bunch and let it fly. He is DRT. The pig is still flopping in the dirt and another group rolled up and I picked one out and let him have it. He piled up about 30 yds away. 3 for 3.

Lodging: The main lodge itself has a full kitchen, couches, big TV, shuffle board, pool table and outdoor grill. It is a nice comfy place to relax and have a few beers.
    The sleeping quarters are comfy. Only complaint I have is there are no blinds in there. Kind of strange.
    Guide: Carlos is a character. From the first minute, I knew I was in for a good weekend. He made the weekend that much better. Never once did I feel like a guest, I felt like a friend.
    Owner: Doug can throw down. He had some family out for some good food and fun. Again, never felt like a guest. Always felt like a friend, from everyone. His wife, daughters and family, all made me feel welcome and comfortable. He actually put a bad whoopin on me in some shuffleboard.

Congrats

Comment

congrats and great write up.

Comment

Great write up.....Congrats!!!!

Comment

nice...pigs,, i'll be up there in march!!! again

Comment

Great review. I think that will be my next trip, after my KJO trip in March.

Comment

great write up... congrats

Comment

Congrats. Nice cat.

Comment

Hey James... this is the video we looked at of my pig from that first evening sit. check it out !! - Dang that arrow just went flying ! Did'nt you find it like 5 feet up in a small tree ? lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imSB-Y3u1z0"]Bow hunt hogs - South Texas ranch - Bowhunting feral hogs - Quatro B ranch - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

hey charrell71 what dates are you going to KJO??/ I'll be there on the 09 to the 11?? again,,,we had a great time !!!

Comment

This sounds like a good time and a very nice place.

Comment

Nice write up! Congrats!

Comment

Good shooting, congrats on the cat.

Comment

You have got my blood pumping already and its still 2 weeks plus till we are to be there. Thanks I enjoyed your review.

Comment

Working...
                            X