Best bow day hunt setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best bow day hunt setup?

Been doing day hunts gun only on my Sour Lake ranch. Would like to transition to 100% archery at some point. I charge by the animal for gun, but not sure what the best way to set up for bow. Charge per day or weekend or what? Any suggestions?

I like the package set up. Like if you have a hog and doe for 250.00 I know what I paying and what is included. Price per animal hunted, you pay for the package either way, kill or no kill.

Comment

Thanks. Want it to be good for both sides.

Comment

I think it is fair this way, this way a novice at scoring a deer does not need to worry about trying to figure out what it will cost to shoot a certain animal. Make sure that you get money for the package before you put them out to hunt the first time.

Comment

Personally I like 'by the animal' or trophy fees. I dont like the pressure of having to kill on a prepay where I potentially might take an animal I'm not completly happy with. I understand that alot of ranches do packages because they are banking on a certain kill % and they can make thier hunts cheaper, but they also often get a bad rap...

Comment

Small day fee and a reasonable trophy fee

Comment

Guided, Put you in stand or Give you an area and let you loose?

Comment

Originally posted by txdhunter29 View Post
                Small day fee and a reasonable trophy fee
                X2 with the give them a pasture and turn em loose. With guide set up stands for a fee for an option

Comment

By the day no trophy fee. You awesome, you win. You retarded, you still pay.

Comment

More suggestions?

Comment

There are pros and cons of the guided vs non guided hunts.

Guided, you need guides, larger blinds to hold several people but have control over what is harvested, when the shot is taken and knowing if the animal was wounded or not with hopefully, a better chance for recovery of the animal.

Non-guided, you are depending on the hunter to take ethical shots, understand what to do and NOT do if animal is wounded, also trusting the hunter will tell you everything they shot at or wounded which is paramount if you go the trophy fee route, and that the hunters stay in their area or stand.

I believe guided is much safer play for the ranch and many hunters. I know the accomplished hunters may not care for being required to have a guide, may not be necessary after you get to know them. Day fee plus trophy fees seems like a good method for both sides. Good Luck

Comment

I have hunted day leases many years ago and we paid a flat rate for two day hunts and the Rancher just let us go our own way. It is difficult for the bowhunter to find a good spot hunting like this but they are usually cheaper as well. Ideally you could organize your hunts like this but put your clients in good areas where they are likely to at least see deer. JMO, but I believe a lot of guys will go on hunts like this not really expecting to shoot anything with a bow but just to get a way for the weekend with the guys. These guys usually don't have a yearly lease to hunt on so they depend on the day leases to satisfy that hunter urge. A good camp site with water, elect. & at least an out house is a plus for most groups. It would also keep everyone in one area and you have some control over the group, and that would be important. Remember JMHO. Now if you have trophy deer that is a whole nether thing. IHNoO
                        Last edited by glpoe1; 01-17-2012, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I like the way Brushy Hill has it set up. You have the option of DIY, have them set you up some spots, or guided. All at different pay levels. No trophy fee, just pay your level to hunt and hunt within their age, point, and other rules. Most bowhunters on a day lease are not going to be novices, no people I know started hunting deer with a bow. Camphouse with water, elec, and kitchen, let the hunters do their own meals.

Comment

As an accomplished bowhunter I like the freedom, but the newbies make me nervous. I remember all the mistakes and bad shots in the beginning. Get a lot of calls for bowhunting already and I have introduced 4 people to the sport. It usually takes more than a weekend to go from newbie to killer.

Comment

Some places have a day fee and a per animal fee. There are a few though that wave the day fee upon successfully killing your animal, usually it's a small day fee like $50. Witch makes it good for the ranch and hunter, rancher makes a little cash and the hunter doesn't have to spend a year saving up for another hunt, In witch he returns sooner to hunt again.

Comment

Working...
                              X