Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

first point bowhunt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first point bowhunt question

on firstpoint bowhunting .com they say you can harvest 1 3 1/2 year old buck. and if you harvest anything younger you will get find 500 bucks ok, so how are you supposed to tell the diffrence in a 2 to 3 year old buck to a 3 1/2 year old buck ?? specially in the heat of the moment ???

You can usually tell by the bodies. When you see a good one you will know it. If any buck you see is worth an extra 5 hundred to you... Go for it we are gonna be there Friday afternoon for opening weekend!

Comment

Firexd, as tyak said you can usually tell by the bodies. A good place to learn and see alot of deer is in the Age and score post.

Good luck Tyak. Please give us an update when you get back.

Comment

Whennin doubt don't shoot. Unless u have an extra $500 laying around

Comment

Also when you get there, Mike will give you tips on what to look for.

Comment

4 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Be prepared to pass on alot of deer. I went there a couple years ago and wasn't very impressed. Didn't see but one deer that was over 3 in 3-1/2 days of hunting. and he was seen while we scouted for the 1st day and a half. But good luck to you. Look for the slight sway in the back and a shorter face. His neck will go down to the lower third of his body.

Comment

My Dad, brother and I go every year on opening weekend. We always have a blast. Last year I saw a hoss of a 140" buck but he never came into bow range. It's our father-son getaway.

Regardless of whether we see a shooter or not, it will be a good time with good folks as allways, the beer at night will be cold and the grill will be hot with ribeyes and redfish on the halfshell.

Oh Yeah!!!

Comment

The 3.5 year old deer are easy to tell at first point. Alll the younger deer will come in to your shooting lane with hand fed corn. The 3.5 year olds will be the ones you see at the edge of your lane walk in the brush and come out on the other end of your lane. Those are the 3.5 year olds. I would scout for the first two hunts on a corn fed four way if possible find the buck you want and set up in the brush about 15 yards on the down wind side of a sendero and brush up your blind good, I mean good with a shooting hole just big enough for you arrow to clear maybe 8'' or less with your other windows shut letting no light in. Its boring hunting when you can only see 15 yards infront of you with a 20'' wide shooting lane but its what you have to do there. Lots of nice bucks at first point but they are smart not stupid I guess thats what keeps me going back. '' Oh yeah almost forgot the most important part less corn in your lane is better than more corn trust me".

Comment

hunted there a few years ago and Mike has some pictures of deer and if your lucky some video he may show you. He's not exactly Mr personality. I had a mature buck at 10 yards and I was at full draw our first hunt. I was so scared of killing a young deer(becaused I had never had to age deer before) that I let him go. Never saw another shooter in two more days. If your first instinct is shoot you probably should. when you think your blind is brushed in good brush it some more and have a mosquito head net.

Comment

Originally posted by Killem all View Post
                      Whennin doubt don't shoot. Unless u have an extra $500 laying around
                      Posted by a guy named Killem all! Am I the only one that laughed out loud at that?

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                        Posted by a guy named Killem all! Am I the only one that laughed out loud at that?
                        Yeah and out of three bucks taken I hadn't messed up and had to pay $500.

You will know the 31/2 bucks when you see them.

Comment

I just got back from there and there will be some HUGE bucks killed there this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ronny View Post
                            I just got back from there and there will be some HUGE bucks killed there this year.
                            How did the LSBA hunt go? Is there a write up some where. Did you see any big ones?

Comment

Check the LSBA site.
                              There are lots of big deer this year. I saw an 8 that will go 140 and lots of 10"s in the 140 to 160 range. I don't think we seen the true giants yet. Should be a great year down there. I ran half the corn route for Mike so I got to see a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X