• Show
Clear All

ABC in San Saba County 6/28-30/07

Click image for larger version

Name:	tilden pics (2) resized.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	23833013

My two sons agreed to join me at the ABC Bow Hunting Ranch in San Saba County. A week prior to the hunt, I asked my 10 year old grandson (Nicholas) to go along, too. That went well and he was looking forward to it. I was concerned about his bow not being strong enough to push an arrow deep enough, so I took it to the shop and had them adjust it up to 30 pounds. That changed his brace height and his 4 inch vanes lay half way in the biscuit-type rest. So, I changed the vanes to Blazers on a couple of his aluminum arrows, providing the necessary clearance, and we were set.

Nicholas and I arrived mid-day Thursday and I took Nicholas around the hog patch on the ranch provided golf cart. This pasture is about 100 acres of hog fenced land with heavy spots of oak and cedar, plus it has a creek and pond that divides the provided hunting stands. Sure enough, we spooked some hogs.

Having hunted successfully there in April, plus with all the rain, I had brought along my pop-up blind and put it very close to an existing tripod stand with a clear shot at the feeder. This turned out to be too open as the hogs were more concerned with the blind than the corn and during that evening’s hunt, simply came out and looked us over, then left for another spot. I moved it back into the cedar on Friday morning, about 10 feet farther away, and the pigs never gave it a second thought again.

My sons arrived Thursday afternoon and we set out for the first day’s hunt. This ranch is hunted very frequently and the hogs are skittish. Nicholas hunted with me in my blind, and as I stated before, the hogs weren’t too thrilled about the new object in the “hood.” However, several groups came by and finally one came within range for Nicholas. He had pulled and let down several times and was naturally nervous. I was watching the pig, hoping to see the hit, but it was not to happen. Nicholas’ arrow would not clear the bottom of the window in the blind and made two very distinct broad head cuts before dropping at the feet of the intended target. The pigs ran away and I tried to sooth the feelings of a disappointed youngster. Unfortunately, that would be his only shot this hunt.

My oldest son, Richard, got a pig that first evening. My youngest son, Robert, wounded a pig and we were unable to locate it.

Name:	DSCN0876.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	24727219
    Friday morning, we decided to roust the pigs from their slumber. We stalked four different areas and only Robert got a decent shot, as they usually saw us before we saw them and didn’t provide a still target. Again, he got a wound, but no harvest.

That evening, Nicholas opted to hunt with his dad (Richard) and I hunted my blind. Right at dark, I had numerous pigs burst onto the scene as the feeder sounded the dinner bell. I had attached the Hog Light to my bow and first tried it to see if the hogs would run. They ignored it, so I readied myself for a hog to present the appropriate side view. By the time that happened, it was dark and I could see the dark silhouette, but could not see the pins. The pig was about 10 yards away, so I estimated my target spot and the FOB equipped Gold Tip found its mark. A squeal and the herd thundered away near the creek bed. I got my light and discovered a very evident blood trail along with my FOB and nock. I tracked the blood into some thick cedar lining the creek and after about 30 yards, found my blood soaked arrow. It had not been broken and the 1 inch titanium broad head was intact. I continued searching and found the pig about 20 yards further. I had hit a little high and struck lungs.

Name:	DSCN0896.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	24727220
    Saturday morning, we stalked again. We worked together and found several, but somehow, Robert got ahead of us. A small herd ran between Richard and me, but we were sort of in a holding pattern, waiting for Robert to show up. Then, I heard the grunt. I spotted a smaller pig walking my way, calling out to his long departed friends. She walked up to about 12 yards away and stopped. That was her last mistake. The Blazer equipped arrow struck ribs, but with a little angle toward the caboose, and the pig squealed and ran. She went through an area of high weeds and into a cedar patch. I went to where I last saw her thrashing against a bush and found a small amount of blood. Richard, Nicholas, and I began searching for blood. Nicholas, being closest to the ground, spotted most of it. I finally found the pig and dragged it to the road.

We loaded up and went toward the gate, where we figured Robert had gone. As we approached the gate, I saw Robert waving to my right. We found him trying to still kill his pig. He had shot the pig with an arrow in the rib cage, got his knife and cut the pig’s throat, and the critter was still trying to get him or get away. I put my boot on the pig’s head to keep it from doing any harm and Richard stuck his knife in the pig’s heart. This stopped the struggle very quickly.

Saturday evening, we went back out and Nicholas and I hunted my blind. The skies opened and flooded the creek. We thought we were pretty well protected in the pop-up, only to discover our boots in about 2 inches of drainage. Seems that I had pitched the blind right in a channel area where the runoff ran toward the creek. I made sure the drainage kept going and we talked about making a run for it at the first break. That break in the rain happened and Nicholas changed his mind, opting to stick it out. Some pigs arrived, but never gave him a second try.

Name:	Sanderson2008 092.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	24727221
    Robert had changed stands and the rain made him change it again. He opted to go to the best blind for rain, an old bus. He wasn’t there too long when pigs arrived. He was able to shoot one and climbed back inside, watching his video of the pig and shot. Then they came again. Another shot, another pig.

Name:	Sanderson2008 056.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	24727223

Name:	Sanderson2008 094.jpg
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	24727222
    We ended up with six pigs and had a good time. I thoroughly enjoyed having my oldest grandson and my sons along. The owners, Richard and Joy Smith, provided us with a catfish dinner Saturday and are very friendly folks. As I reflect on this hunt and after processing at least two pigs, I think I’m ready to go fishing. There will be another time, Nicholas!

Great read Olphart, we left the ranch one week prior to your hunt. I'm waiting for the pictures to put up my story, all I can say is......... whoever, thought that this place was just for meat hogs, sure was wrong. Story to come.

Comment

Good times sounds like.

Wait'n on your story jh. Oh and pics too.
      Thought for a minute I was go'n get to join jh, but the clouds didn't aline for me. Planning a trip soon though. Thanks for the info jh.

Comment

Johnny I've been hearing about this hog and now I'm needing to see some pics.

Comment

Good Job!!!!!!!! I like that place as well.

JH- No pictures,no proof. hahaha

Comment

Pictures sent.

Comment

Working...
            X