First Point Bowhunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Point Bowhunting

Has anyone hunted here? I'm thinking about making a trip there this year.

Have been there lots of times. It's a hard hunt but there are some nice deer there. I have a hunt booked this year.

Comment

I hunt every year and love it. Very smart deer but that's what makes it fun. Book a hunt for as many dAys as you can.

Comment

nice place and nice folks. VERY smart deer. Listen to what Mike has to say. When the Samuri drives by and deposits the 7 kernels of corn, be ready. DO NOT spread a lot of extra corn (piles) around your hunting area. The deer can spot it and they aren't used to it. The best advice I heard while hunting there for a set up without being spotted is dig a hole. A hole big enough for you to squat in and raise up to shoot out of. Sounds crazy but those deer are hunted for 115 days. Except for Thanksgiving and Christmas. They've seen every type of set-up you and your brother's dog can think of. Think out side of the box for your set up. If you're using a pop-up, you can't brush it in enough and don't leave a window open to shoot out of. The deer can spot that "black hole" and they know to shy away from it. Use the mesh to shoot through. If you're setting up in a tripod, set well enough off the main sendero as you can, within shooting range of course. Be careful when cutting cover to conceal your blind. Cut it from the back sides of brush so that the cut wood can not be seen from the deer trail or sendero. Believe it or not, this sticks out like a sore thumb to those deer. I know, it sounds like it's impossible to kill anything there, but it's not. Take your time, LISTEN TO MIKE and be patient. Best of luck to ya!

Comment

Ive been twice.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

we are booked for this fall as well.

I've been twice before, but it's been at least a handful of years since my last trip - very much looking forward to this trip! Hard hunting, but there are definitely good deer there.

Comment

I will be there Jan. 1-9. Would love to hunt with you.

Comment

Not yet..............

Comment

a buddy of mine is booking the trip in either november or december. trying to get a group together and a date that will work for all

Comment

FP is probably as good as any day lease where a truly wild fair chase deer herd exists.

It is low fence and open Texas brush country. There are tons of deer with mostly young bucks and does (as with most places), a good number of "mature" bucks (which is 3.5 years old by their rules) and a few trophies out there.

FP is well hunted but not crowded. You get maybe 200-300 acres per hunter.

The hardest thing about FP is not so much the deer being smart (and they are) but you are thrown into a completely unknown area and have 3 or 4 days (I am guessing that 3 days is the usual hunt by most people) to locate and get within 20 yards or so from a trophy buck. If you do a three day hunt, you have maybe 32 hours or so of daylight to find a good area, set up a blind and then try to get within range of a big one. I don't care how smart the deer are, unless you are in a high fence lease, that is difficult anywhere.

For being thrown into an unknown lease with no real knowledge of the land, I think that you have as good of a chance at a shot at FP as anywhere. To do so successfully though, you have to be smart and hunt hard. The more days that you are there, the more time you have to scout and set up and improve your chances greatly.

Comment

Working...
                      X