Keith Johns Outdoors - KJO Success Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keith Johns Outdoors - KJO Success Rate

I'm planning to book an October Hunt at Keith Johns Outdoors but want to upgrade from a Goat/Hog to the $500 package(Includes Axis, Blackbuck,Audad, and Sika). What is the Sucess Rate ? or How have you done in the past. I know conditions and timing play a BIG Factor.I'm not wanting a "Trophy Book" animal ... an average size will do.
    Thanks
    K.Rex
    Last edited by Patriot-2000; 05-17-2010, 08:22 AM.

From my experience of two trips, I would say your chance is pretty good. On my first trip, I was after rams and got one and could have killed a Fallow buck,Sika or Axis buck if I had paid for it. On my last hunt I could have killed a Sika buck but I really wanted a Axis so I passed and didn't get my shot at a Axis. It did rain a lot while I was there both times and It really hurt the hunting. I will be going back real soon to go after a Axis again.

Comment

I went twice last year for Axis. The first time, I didn't have one come in to my stand. The second time, I was presented two 40 yard quartering to me shots that I wasn't comfortable taking. I would say that your chances are fairly decent. I have another trip planned in August to give them another shot!

Comment

what is the hog hunting like at kjo is there a good population of them

Comment

Every time I have been to KJO I could have taken the species I was after...... but with me being a picky hunter, I have not always come home with animals. He has the critters there thats for sure.

As for the hogs...... I have been very few times that I have not had hogs in front of me at one time or another.

Comment

Originally posted by lssa View Post
            what is the hog hunting like at kjo is there a good population of them
            Last month when I was there, I think everyone could have shot at a hog. I could have shot two in two sits but I was trying to kill axis so I passed on one. Yes, there is a good population of pigs there.

Comment

What is KJ,s website?

Comment

I have been 3 times,
                Trip 1 "Skunk" see several animals "passed on a hog"
                Trip 2 "Skunk" seen several animals "hogs stayed out of range in the brush"
                Trip 3 was my time to get animals. see several animals and downed 3 pigs and one doe.

You cannot expect to get an animal every time you book a hunt with any outfitter really.
                I wasn't disappointed on any of my skunks because of the fact it was a great experience out there and i had fun. I had seen allot of animals each time i went, just no shot was presented to me at those 2 times. on the first trip i booked again before i left KJO, then after the #2 i booked again.
                Last edited by tx07; 05-17-2010, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                  What is KJ,s website?
                  keithjohnsoutdoors.com

Comment

Id say your odds for an Axis are pretty good.Plus if you dont get a chance at an axis you can also take Auodad,or blackbuck or ram and goat .I see the upgrade as a cheap raffle ticket .
                    Ive been 3 times and am going back in July to try again for axis.this is how my hunts broke down.
                    1st hunt Ram and hog ;got a nice Catalina and a small hog
                    2nd hunt exotics trying for axis had several chances for auodad shat a nice axis buck tt high and couldnt recover him.
                    3rd hunt exotics rained nearly all weekend only got to sit a couple times but saw some really good Blackbuck but they wouldnt come to the feeder.Shot a large boar but couldnt find blood because it started raining right after I shot him.
                    Best I can tell you is go for I do and Im a cheapskate ,if Im willing to spend money its a good bet.
                    Cant wait till I get back in July.You always meet good people Ive hunted with 3 of the people who posted in this thread and would hunt with any of them again.
                    Mike
                    Mike

Comment

its called hunting for a reason, not killing, i know we all wanna get that kill when we spend money to hunt but we always cant

Comment

Is it worth going for the money you spend?

Comment

Think about it like this I fly in from Virginia . So Im paying for plane fare, baggage charges ,rental car, and out of state license. Yes its worth every penny and more. If I lived in Texas Id be there 3 or 4 times a year
                          Believe me I dont make much and I work to hard for it to spend it on something that is less than quality.I fix sewer pipe for a living and my nickles are hard won.
                          And yes to all you jokers its a really crappy job lol
                          Mike

Comment

How big is the place?

Comment

not sure exactly, the hunting pasture i would guess is around 300 acres - it's by no means a "canned" hunt though! the brush is very thick...I like hunting brush country so I thought it was enjoyable hunting.

We went when it was really green this spring and not a lot was seen at feeders, but some ground blinds away from feeders were productive. definitely plenty of hogs and Keith keeps adding animals on a regular basis - I can't imagine how much game there must be on that place. they just aren't going to be easy to find. The deer and antelope are definitely a challenge to hunt. I saw lots of axis does and some fallow...there were hogs seen by most in our group too.

the other cool thing about kjo is that even though its brush country type hunting, there are still a few stands that get you high off the ground b/c there are some good size oak trees scattered in as well. its not all real short brush but it is thick.

i hope to go back when $$$ & time permit.

Comment

Working...
                              X