No announcement yet.

anyone hunted brushyhill lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 point, what pasture are you going to hunt.

Comment

Anybody heard of any hunting reports from there? My kitchen pass is about worn out for the year but could probably be used again if there has been some good action and I have a group to go with.

Comment

Poco, we booked this hunt back in the summer and I cant remember what pasture we picked, all I know is we are going to be off the corn trail.

Comment

have u called and got a hunting report 1 point?

Comment

I called and they said the deer are moving pretty good, starting to come out to the corn better than earlier in the year. The weather should help us alot as the lows should be around 25-30. We are gonna use light corn and tinks 69 and hope for the best with some good scouting and a perfectly brushed in ground blind. Hope we see you there Kactuskiller. We were at the Chap. when you were there earlier in the year. We killed the only coyote. Best of luck to you, Laters.

Comment

Good luck, what pature are u hunting? I will probably miss you this week a I am going the 14-17. Let me know how you do.

Comment

Originally posted by 1point View Post
                Me and Rocko222 will be there Jan. 5-8.
                i'll be there gearing up as we speak.

Comment

Good luck guys, We will get there on the 8th.

Let me know what pasture yall get, and how its going...Lates!!

Comment

We are leaving in the morning for brushy hill. We will hunt tomorrow evening until Fri. I will give you a report when we get back, pasture, sightings, ect. The weather is gonna be great. Lows on Thurs. around 15 degrees, I dont think it gets any better than that. Poco, maybe we will meet you on Fri. Regardless, best of luck to both of you. Laters.

Comment

Sound good 1point, I will be in a gray 4 door chevy and plan on arriving between 9-10am..Good luck

Comment

1point, pm sent

Comment

Thanks for the pm Poco, but I didnt get it until we got back. We ended up hunting in the Hog Heaven North. I have hunted day leases all over the state for 25 years, Four Arrows, Tasajuillo bowhunting, Martinena ranch, and numerous others. Some were good for a couple of years when they first started and steadily hunted out. Others were consistently good with a cap on the number of hunters. We decided to give Brushy Hill a try and I was very disappointed. I have never been to a place more overhunted. I was told only 7 bucks have been harvested the entire season. On 15,200 acres with 100s of hunters coming and going this ought to be a good indicator of a numbers problem. Game was scarce to say the least. I would not recommend it to my friends, and I will not be going back until some changes are made to get the hunting pressure down, and the quality of wildlife back up. The staff however was very friendly, the accomodations were good with a nice old camp house, and the ranch was typical south texas brush and very enjoyable.

Comment

Man 1 point sorry to here about your experience. We just got back our selves and hunting was very hard this time around. We did leave some trail cameras set up from a couple of weeks ago and had some decent deer on them. Although something definitely changed a couple days before we got there. We had normal morning and evening activity on our game cams up until the day before we arrived. Then the only movement we had on camera was from 7:30pm thru 10:30pm. So this made our hunt very difficult but we are always up for a challenge.

Over all IMO this place is not nearly pressured or over hunted as other day hunting places. We always have fun and almost always have ample opportunities when we go to Brushy Hill. Again everyone has there own opinion and I will continue to book there for years to come...Lates

Comment

Poco, which pasture did you hunt in. We also put cameras up in numerous locations, along the corn route, on feeders, trails, ect. and we did not get a single pic of a decent buck. The only nice buck we saw was at a long distance on the neighbors. We had one pic of a large hog at a feeder. We put in alot of time in the stands only breaking for a short lunch, and I could count the deer I saw on one hand. We mixed it up with one guy on the corn route, one on a road hand corned off the route, and one on trails leading to a feeder. If one was working we were going to adapt, but we just werent seeing anything worthwhile. We were also a little disapointed with the cattle around our blinds breaking brush constantly. Most of the brush had been affected by the freezes and corn should have been much more effective especially at night, that is why we felt like the numbers were way low. We also hunted during the week so we would have a better chance of normal activity, because we felt like the deer would change habits on the weekends which is what might have happened to you. Thus, our feelings about way too much pressure. I could go there many times and increase my odds, but I am going to put all that $ together and just get a season lease in the south texas region. Easier said than done. Enjoyed talkin' with you, hopefully we will meet up on a hunt sometime in the future. Laters.

Comment

Sorry double post
                                Last edited by Poco; 01-11-2010, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X