No announcement yet.

Lake Whitney/Lake Aquilla 2009-2010 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a heads up the corp office is closing at 3:15 today so if you need to get a permit for the first time i would be there by noon.

Comment

Have a safe and happy weekend Yall

Comment

Good luck to everyone

Comment

How's everyone doin with the birds so far?

Comment

i haven't seen more than 3 birds together at any time between here and dallas. My b-i-l has been slaughtering them down in san antonio, but I am just not seeing any numbers at all..

Comment

Its really been slow. Saw 6 the first hour of light yesterday. Only one of those was shootable. But there were 3 other hunters walking by, so I passed on the shot. I did have a group of 8 lite in on my decoys yesterday moring, once, about 9:30. Forgot to reload from the previous birds and shot blanks at-em . Pickles is getting very agressive towards them now LOL. I crippled one and she found it once. It gave her the slip and was sitting behind her. But she sniffed it back up and it flapped, and she was on it like a cat on a mouse . She got a good grip on it this time, didn't kill it, and brought it to me alive. But she made sure "I" had a good hold before she let go . Every time the gun moves now, she is up and paying attention.

Comment

I've missed more in my life trying to re-fire blanks than I've killed

Comment

Hello everyone new to this forum, my report from Sat.5th
                  Went to my usual spot not a single bird seen but looking good for deer season, saw several deer, does fat & healthy, a couple of new fawns, one small buck still in velvet. I can't wait !
                  Also scouted a new area, has anyone hunted around pecans @ Whitney w/ any success.
                  Last edited by basscast; 09-07-2009, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by basscast View Post
                    ...................... has anyone hunted around pecans @ Whitney w/ any success.
                    Shhhhhhhh! Don't say that so loud. Someone might hear you . j/k

Welcome to TBH

Comment

This morning I didn't see a single soul out. Pickles and I did OK, but not great. There were a few I should have shot at, Well, maybe more than a few . Hunted from 7-10AM. 18 recorded shots, 5 birds in the bag. Pickles wishes I had been on my toes more . She's kinda wore out right now due the heat, but still ready to go. And those pesky deer still won't leave me alone . This time a doe and two bucks came by to see what I was doing.
                      Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-07-2009, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I went and ended up gettin my suburban stuck spent most of the time digging it out. I love it when it rains

Comment

Look out for those rattle headed copper moccasins. I killed a 3'4" to 3'6" rattler with no buttons. Killed six birds this weekend seen alot but every time i moved to where they where flying at they would fly by where I just left. Had some boys from brownwood hunt the same area I did. Very nice but still didn't follow the rules no orange and shooting past legal shooting time.

Comment

Slim pickings/not worth the time

We live next to corp land. There are VERY FEW deer this season. They are young and skinny. We have not seen a decent set of horns since last year.

They are all cow horned spikes.

The lake water level is 15 - 20 ft below normal.

Don't waste your time.

Comment

Originally posted by JandMmichels View Post
                              We live next to corp land. There are VERY FEW deer this season. They are young and skinny. We have not seen a decent set of horns since last year.

They are all cow horned spikes.

The lake water level is 15 - 20 ft below normal.

Don't waste your time.
                              I only saw one buck, but i saw a LOT of does & new fawns and they all looked fat & healthy to me, but maybe everyone will take your advise and not hunt this year The lake is very low though, exactly 13 ft today.
                              Last edited by basscast; 09-08-2009, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by basscast View Post
                                I only saw one buck, but i saw a LOT of does & new fawns and they all looked fat & healthy to me, but maybe everyone will take your advise and not hunt this year The lake is very low though, exactly 13 ft today.
                                And they were releasing water this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X