No announcement yet.

Lake Whitney/Lake Aquilla 2009-2010 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HG, I use them all, ladders, hang-ons, climbers, pop-ups. Sometimes a "bird's nest" gorund blind or tree trunk. It all depends on the situation, place, Wind direction, and vigitation (often affected by water level) for a given year.

Sam, PM sent.

LW, looks sharp! Wind is forcast from the south at 20 for Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by hand grenade View Post
      question fellas. what do you normally hunt out of on the whitney side? ground blinds, tree stands.... i usually frequent aquilla and tried out h3 on the whitney side and was undecided on what to use out of my arsenal. any tips on what you guys usually use? on aquilla i usually use a treestand but have had my days in the double bull. just a survey i guess. it seems like im the only one lugging around a treestand sometimes and run into folks just returning to their vehicles with just a bow in hand.
      I have killed deer from both. Popups are tough to blend in unless you get smaller popups.

Comment

TG, pm sent.

Comment

I was looking in the TP&W book and can't find dates for duck season. It has early teal listed but nothing else. Some one know the dates?

Comment

RC, it is published in it's own manual. TP&W and the U. S. Department of the Interior: Fish and Wild Life Services, never decided/approve the dates till after the "Texas Annual manual" () is published, forcing them to publish a secondary one. If you go to the following link, you will find the dates for the zone you wish to hunt. Look to the left side brown box and a list of topics is availible, including a PFD doc of the manual for Late Water Fowl Season to down load.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

well I hammered a doe this evening. It was about 5:30 pm I had 2 doe walk out. I chose the older of the 2. watched my arrow as it hammered the side of the deer. I waited about 20 minutes to get out of the stand. I went to my arrow and only found blood on the nock. The arrow was not slimy nor did it smell like a gut shot. Walked in circles for about 30 minutes and did not find any blood. Called up LW and left the area for about an hour. I met back up with LW and began checking the area and still no deer. we quit about 8:00pm. I am goin back in the morning and hopefully find her.

Comment

goodluck on finding the doe, lake A or lake W?

Comment

Good luck hope ya find her

Comment

Hope ya can find her Justin.

Comment

Good luck on finding her.

I'll be out there Friday and Saturday trying to get another one.

Comment

sorry to hear that Justin. I had the same thing happen this morning. Everything felt good, did rush the shot a little because she saw me draw, but I was on. Clean pass through. Waited 2 1/2 hrs, guess I blinked and didnt see exactly where the shot went. arrow was kind of oily with only traces of blood. Went 50 yds and found to big blood piles, then nothing. She had a small buck chasing her, so im sure that didnt help. Looked for 2 1/2 hrs, zig-zagging back and forth hoping to find her, and nothing. Guess I hit her a little far back. I hate doing that. Only happened to me one other time in my life and I dont like it at all.

Comment

i have a question on the general season for hill county. it doesnt say we cant whack a doe during the general season. im used to buck only during the general season. so do i have the greenlight to whack a doe next week?

Comment

well after the frustration of not finding the doe I got the ole bangstick and went back to the Private land and smoked a spike at 312 yds sometimes I wish my bow would go 1/3 that distance. So now I have meat in the freezer and a happy wife. I didnt care to use the rifle over the bow but I had to secure the remainder of the bowhuntin season.

Comment

Congrats on the spike. Hope to see something in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X