Public Draw Hunt Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post

Most western states that require the purchase of a license to apply also have a hard quota for nonresidents meaning that residents only get a certain percentage of the tags in their primary draws. (typically 80-90% of the tags are reserved for residents)

Currently Texans can draw 100% of the tags because there's not a hard quota like other states.​ How would you like only 90% of the tags?
    I am not arguing the point either way because I am not really sure how I would lean in regards to changes on non residents getting a certain percentage of the tags in exchange for higher pricing but......

I would be curious to know how many non residents currently get drawn for Texas tags. Seems like the last couple of years they have drawn some of the "premium" hunts but maybe my memory could very well be failing me.

Comment

My kids have drawn one really good youth hunt, I've never drawn anything as a non resident

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post

I am not arguing the point either way because I am not really sure how I would lean in regards to changes on non residents getting a certain percentage of the tags in exchange for higher pricing but......

I would be curious to know how many non residents currently get drawn for Texas tags. Seems like the last couple of years they have drawn some of the "premium" hunts but maybe my memory could very well be failing me.
        I've not asked TPWD myself, but others claim TPWD told them 3-7% of the tags are drawn by NRs. That sounds reasonable. I don't think evil NRs are stealing all our tags.

Simple math shows that drawing odds are low because of a huge number of applicants chasing very few tags.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post

I've not asked TPWD myself, but others claim TPWD told them 3-7% of the tags are drawn by NRs. That sounds reasonable. I don't think evil NRs are stealing all our tags.

Simple math shows that drawing odds are low because of a huge number of applicants chasing very few tags.
          I agree on a huge number of applicants and the amount of tags issued. I do still enjoy applying though and will continue to do so. I have said it before but I have drawn two hunts in 10 years but for awhile I was very selective on what I applied for. Last year I wasn't as selective and drew a hunt (I had 9 points in the category so that might have helped). My son however has been very lucky on the youth draws. Between drawing and standby he has been on a lot of hunts to include a pretty sweet mule deer hunt.

I referenced the non residents drawing "premium" hunts but really that makes sense I suppose. I cant see as many non residents applying for a spike or doe hunt as opposed to some of what are considered the better hunts (one I do remember for example is the big time Texas hunt grand slam being won by a non resident).

Edit to add:
          For awhile I was really wanting non residents to pay more to apply. Now I am not as sure. Guess I cant make up my mind.
          Last edited by BradBryant1000; 07-09-2023, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X