Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
    well...any updates ?????

Sorry, phone issues so I’m using Jacob’s. Has been really really slow. Wind swapped out of north yesterday and yesterday afternoon picked up a lil with deer movement for those left here. Yes, looking at the board quite a few left yesterday.

Jacob and I hunted a new spot yesterday afternoon, we been corning all week and saw young 8, a button and javelinas.
    About hour before dark we climbed down and went back over to watch the tank we been hunting by all week. Stalking in, we saw a buck on corn left from the morning. Closed from 500 yards to 200 and got set up. Big dark horned 10 point. From side had no question about being shooter. Always looked away or broadside. Finally got a quick look from front but chickened out trying tell if at ear tips or not. Pretty positive now was a mistake to pass but at time just couldn’t convince ourselves 100% he was legal.

We did corn that same spot before leaving and right before light we’re bout to stalk in there from downwind n try set up for morning. Pretty sure we gotta leave by noon so it’s now or never!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As of yesterday, a 146” 10 had been brought in and 2 100” 8 points for the week.

Comment

Good luck this morning. Hope a big one steps out for you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
          Sorry, phone issues so I’m using Jacob’s. Has been really really slow. Wind swapped out of north yesterday and yesterday afternoon picked up a lil with deer movement for those left here. Yes, looking at the board quite a few left yesterday.

Jacob and I hunted a new spot yesterday afternoon, we been corning all week and saw young 8, a button and javelinas.
          About hour before dark we climbed down and went back over to watch the tank we been hunting by all week. Stalking in, we saw a buck on corn left from the morning. Closed from 500 yards to 200 and got set up. Big dark horned 10 point. From side had no question about being shooter. Always looked away or broadside. Finally got a quick look from front but chickened out trying tell if at ear tips or not. Pretty positive now was a mistake to pass but at time just couldn’t convince ourselves 100% he was legal.

We did corn that same spot before leaving and right before light we’re bout to stalk in there from downwind n try set up for morning. Pretty sure we gotta leave by noon so it’s now or never!

I didn't think there were antler restrictions on the youth hunt. There weren't any when my kids hunted it

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
            I didn't think there were antler restrictions on the youth hunt. There weren't any when my kids hunted it

14” spread

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Napintheblind View Post

Shot it last 10 minutes of light on the last day.
                  This is Jacob, OleTomTalkers son.

Comment

Congrats Way to hang in there

Comment

Congrats Jacob. My son and I had a great time hanging out with you and your dad. It was a fun hunt. Tough hunting, but a cool place.

Comment

Congrats to Jacob

Success on both of his YDE hunts!!

Comment

Congrats to that young man!

Comment

Originally posted by PondPopper View Post
                            I hunted it last year and had a fun time BUT It was definitely not worth the wait(17 or 19 years).. I bought into all of the hype over the years myself.. For that many high fenced acres in that prime part of the country something is bad wrong.. It should be much better. I know it was once "the place" but it is far from that now..
                            What is actually being killed tells the real story..
                            So I think everyone needs to remember that they were in a bad drought again last year/early this year and in talking with staff, they were expecting some die offs(especially the bucks after the rut), poor antler growth and poor fawn recruitment. It’s a “natural” area, no supplemental feeding or food plots. Only thing they do is provide some water.

I’ve been going to the Chap for close to 20 years. Amazing to see the fluctuations from year to year. Two years ago on our gun hunt, lots of quality bucks killed but they were coming off of several wet years. Maybe range conditions should be a consideration from year to year if folks are worried about burning points.

Anyway just wanted to offer a different perspective from past experience. Sounds like several public hunt spots have had tough years this year. It’s also one WMA that offers a bunch of hunting opportunities and they understand that us hunters pay their salaries.

Disappointed to hear hunting was tough this year and hope the Chap bounces back with the recent rains they have had!!!!

Comment

Way to go!!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome! Congratulations y'all!

Comment

Working...
                                X