Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Drew Black Gap WMA - Gun Mule Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drew Black Gap WMA - Gun Mule Deer

After many, many years of applying for this hunt, I got drawn along with my Dad and his hunting buddy. The bad thing is it took so long to draw they aren't sure they want/can do the hunt, so I might be going solo.

Has anyone hunted Mule Deer out there? This will be my first MD hunt and first in a desert environment. I had 14 pts for those curious.

More than anything I am looking forward to camping out in the open sky.

Congrats on the draw!

I'd do it without hesitation. While not Black Gap, a couple years ago I did the mule deer gun hunt at Big Bend Ranch State Park solo. Tent camped. It was great and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Comment

You got this, whole lot of glassing will yield you a good ole Muley!
      Make sure you got your boundaries down!
      SPOTTING SCOPE IS A MUST, take your time!

Comment

No reason at all for them not to go. I've hunted there 3 times and this area isn't quite as mountainous as other areas. There are definitely some rugged areas, and some steep spots, but just don't send them there. Plenty of valleys and flat areas to hunt. If nothing else, just set them at a pond (not many of these) or guzzler (which almost all have road access) and hunt the water. May not see quite as much as getting up high, glassing, and then stalking, but it can still be a fun hunt and time with family. If nothing else, they can be the camp cook.

Comment

congrats, Kevin! That and Sierra Diablo are prime areas but pretty rugged from what I here. Lots of dark skies though.
          Curious though, is this one of the hunts where they require multiple people to apply, just wondering if they required multiple people to actually show up or how they would feel about you coming alone? Is that just a safety thing on TPWDs part?

Comment

Congrats on getting drawn! This is one of the hunts I really want to fo on.

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
            congrats, Kevin! That and Sierra Diablo are prime areas but pretty rugged from what I here. Lots of dark skies though.
            Curious though, is this one of the hunts where they require multiple people to apply, just wondering if they required multiple people to actually show up or how they would feel about you coming alone? Is that just a safety thing on TPWDs part?
            From what I have seen, Palo Duro is the only hunt that required at least 2 people to apply.

Comment

which hunt date? That could be 3 standby's available.

Comment

I tried but it’s just going to be me. The other two spots either went to 2nd draw or standby.

Wish they were going with me but it will be a solo adventure I’m looking forward to. Will have a sat phone/tracker in case of emergency.

Is it Christmas yet!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                  After many, many years of applying for this hunt, I got drawn along with my Dad and his hunting buddy. The bad thing is it took so long to draw they aren't sure they want/can do the hunt, so I might be going solo.

Has anyone hunted Mule Deer out there? This will be my first MD hunt and first in a desert environment. I had 14 pts for those curious.

Congratulations, that should be a fun hunt. If it takes 14 points to get one of those hunts, you won't do that many times.

I have been putting in for TPW drawings for many years, with the primary objective being mule deer. I have figured out every mule deer hunt they offer, have applied for most of them for years. Again this year, I have a bunch of big fat zeros for all of those hunts.

If you look at how many TPWD claims apply for those hunts, you would think your chances would not be that bad, but it seem to be very low chance you will get drawn for any of those hunts.

I keep saying that I am going to only apply for all of the mule deer hunts and nothing else to rack up points for those hunts and not worry about giving the state money for any other hunts.

I don't have much of any info to offer, other than look for videos and stories from the few hunts that people have posted about. Of all of the various mule deer hunts, that have been going on for many years, there are very few stories or videos posted about those hunts. But there are a few, most of the videos I have seen of the west Texas drawn mule deer hunts are pretty good. There was a guy who got drawn for Big Bend State Park last year, or the year before, if I am remembering correctly. He made a video and wrote a story, and posted both on this forum. Once you get on you tube, there are a few other west Texas mule deer drawn hunt videos, that I could find. I think there may be four videos, I think two or three are pretty good videos.

Good luck on the hunt, it should be a lot of fun.
                  Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 10-31-2022, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post

How did your hunt turn out sir?

Comment

It was successful. Search this sub-forum.

Comment

Working...
                      X