X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RifleBowPistol
    replied
    Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
    Also some pics for those asking about the yurts. Would be great for a family camping trip. AC and heater, though they say the AC doesn’t work great in the summer. Also a fridge and microwave. Grill on the fire pit outside and bath house a short walk away.

Those are nice, I like that.

Leave a comment:

• Top Of Texas
    replied
    Nice hunt!

Leave a comment:

• Lone_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by marshman View Post
    Wow. Just 2 deer killed? They must have really thinned the herd since I went in 2013. We saw deer and had shot opportunities each time we went out. That’s not counting all the deer we saw while we weren’t hunting. The place was overran with them.
    For sure, this place used to be mucho overpopulated

Leave a comment:

• jimmybrownie1
    replied
    Thanks for sharing the pics Justin, They Look great !

Leave a comment:

• marshman
    replied
    Originally posted by LilHoss View Post
    I am late on this thread but marshman and Heath and a few others of us had a grand time the year we were drawn. It was an epic hunt and thread. Maybe even some blood trailing across the pool area and down the steps etc. I don't know how others felt but I had a great time!

Camp 66 is a prime spot. It is a funnel/pinch point and all around camping mecca!

The key is a Coleman tent blind, Cheetos, blue jeans and screaming kids. Without all that it is a tough hunt.
    Hey Brendan how you been? We did have a good time up there! Hope you and the family have a Merry Christmas!

Leave a comment:

• LilHoss
    replied
    I am late on this thread but marshman and Heath and a few others of us had a grand time the year we were drawn. It was an epic hunt and thread. Maybe even some blood trailing across the pool area and down the steps etc. I don't know how others felt but I had a great time!

Camp 66 is a prime spot. It is a funnel/pinch point and all around camping mecca!

The key is a Coleman tent blind, Cheetos, blue jeans and screaming kids. Without all that it is a tough hunt.

Leave a comment:

• doublearrow
    replied
    Nice recap. Congratulations to your dad . My son was in the youth hunt the weekend following this. He shot a broke forkhorn with 11 minutes of legal shooting light left on Sunday night. Only 3 deer shot on our weekend.
    Enjoyed the hunt but our spot made me very nervous. Feeder was only 57 yards off the highway around a curve. We were set up 20 yards off the highway kept thinking folks were going to fly off the highway into us. To our left 100 yards was the boundary with 2 houses along the fence line and to our right was another hunter there feeder was a lot closer than I felt comfortable with hunters I didn't know. My son is a good shot but I was over conscientious which direction to take a shot at an animal l.

Leave a comment:

• BradBryant1000
    replied
    Little thinking and a little recap....

We arrived Tuesday morning fairly early. A little before 8 a.m. We got into the park and drove around. Didn't see a single deer. Unloaded our stuff at the yurt and settled in. Went to the orientation at 10 a.m. and drew our stand locations. I ended up and switched with another gentleman so I could be at the stand that was the closest to dad. Got shown our feeders by one of the park employees. At 12 we set up our pop ups and I put out hand corn at both spots. I scouted the areas somewhat at that time.

Dad hunted at stand #5 and I was at #6. There was lots and lots of sign at both spots. Pig and deer sign. Area was covered with sign. There was also even a fairly active trail between the yurts and the restroom area. There was pig rooting in lots of places within the park but I suspect that had been happening at night. I thought after seeing all that it would be a slam dunk easy hunt.

First evening dad and myself both shot a pig. Dad got his pig kinda early and I got mine right at dark. Dads pig was in a group of 4. My pig was in a group of 2. That would be the only critters I saw the entire hunt while I was actually hunting. That evening after dark we drove through a good portion of the park to get to the check in area and our yurt and not a single deer was seen.

Second morning was a dry run for dad and myself. All of the corn at dad's setup was eaten. Mine was still there. I put out more at dad's before the morning hunt. No deer seen heading to the stand or while heading back into the park after the morning hunt.

Second evening dad shot a doe. There were 4 deer total in that group. Deer seemed nervous to dad. All handcorn at both spots was still there. While driving to the stands we didn't see any deer. After the hunt while driving to the check in area and to the yurt we saw 5 deer within the park (this was after dark).

Third and final morning. Hand corn was eaten entirely at both spots upon arrival. I put out more corn. Dad saw deer on two separate occasions but could only shoot the one because he was at his limit of two deer already. No deer were seen within the park heading out to the stands that morning or after the hunt while checking in dad's deer or heading back to the yurt.

Weather was warm(ish). Full moon but it was cloudy a good portion of the time. Kind off and on rain at times but never any heavy downpours.

Having said all that I had fun hanging with dad. I'd take my dad back if the opportunity ever presented itself again.
    Last edited by BradBryant1000; 12-10-2022, 03:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bulltx50
    replied
    Unseasonably warm weather and bright moon wreaking havoc on deer movement and harvest statewide

Leave a comment:

• caalexander4
    replied
    Glad yall got to drop something! I was in 2 and listening to construction work all afternoon and morning on day 1 & 2. I left to get something on the deer lease at least since I was taking days off. I think the guy next to me in 1 shot at least twice. Spot 2 wasnt bad, but there wasnt much movement of anything.

Leave a comment:

• marshman
    replied
    Wow. Just 2 deer killed? They must have really thinned the herd since I went in 2013. We saw deer and had shot opportunities each time we went out. That’s not counting all the deer we saw while we weren’t hunting. The place was overran with them.

Leave a comment:

• BradBryant1000
    replied
    Originally posted by J.Shoot View Post
    I know y'all are probably done hunting, but just wanted to say, I own the property that borders the land you hunt across from the park... If you shoot anything and it goes on our property feel free to retrieve it. Leave me a message if you can. We don't lease so there wouldn't be anyone there. I also have a good tracking dog that we can use if needed... Sorry I didn't see this earlier.
    Would be curious to know what else was shot besides the 2 deer and pig. Congrats to everyone that harvested an animal.

Mark
    Originally posted by J.Shoot View Post
    Always want everyone to have a good hunt... no matter where you are. I was unaware of the dates of the hunt or I would have reached out earlier. I would have shared game pics as well... We live on the property so we have good knowledge of what's out there, and alot of the deer move to the park when season starts up.
    Awesome gesture on your part sir!!!

If I ever draw this hunt again I'll definitely hit you up.

Leave a comment:

• JustinJ
    replied
    I hunted for about an hour this morning and had to hit the road for another hunt down by luckenbach. Sitting in a brush blind with a rifle now!

Only saw one deer on the hunt and I didn’t have the right window open to get a shot. Standing there broadside at 15 yds!

Still a fun hunt and enjoyed the yurts. We went to perinis for dinner last night and that was awesome as well.

Good meeting you Brad, and glad your dad is taking home some venison!!

Leave a comment:

• Killer
    replied
    Dads whack'in and stackin

Leave a comment:

• BradBryant1000
    replied
    Also dad had an additional deer (a doe) come in this morning that he could have killed. But he was already at his limit of 2.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X