Anyone Hunted in or close to Lake Mineral wells SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Hunted in or close to Lake Mineral wells SP

Drew gun hunt. How's the deer population around the State park?

Population is OK for the area. Can be good in the park. Did you get the GDE or GDA?

I may put in for GDE next year, cause it's pretty close.

Comment

Was drawn for a gun hunt there a few years ago, in my opinion it wasn't good at all. On that hunt, the hunt personnel took everyone to their individual blind. I hunted 3 different blinds, never saw a deer. I didn't see much sign either. Of course when they take you to your blind at the same time every morning and evening and they pick you up at the same time later, I'm sure deer become acclimated to that. You can't carry your own corn, they give you a Ziplock bag with a little in it. Just a lot of things they could've done better.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
        Was drawn for a gun hunt there a few years ago, in my opinion it wasn't good at all. On that hunt, the hunt personnel took everyone to their individual blind. I hunted 3 different blinds, never saw a deer. I didn't see much sign either. Of course when they take you to your blind at the same time every morning and evening and they pick you up at the same time later, I'm sure deer become acclimated to that. You can't carry your own corn, they give you a Ziplock bag with a little in it. Just a lot of things they could've done better.
        Really? I talked someone who hunted it in 2020 and said the opposite on the deer population. I believe he said it backed up to a military base where they didn't allow hunting so there were plenty deer.

Comment

Ive owned property a couple of miles north east of the park for 20+ years. We have killed some deer in 150s on it. There have been some bigger killed in the area. The National guard property has some beast that live there. That being said, I’ve never heard of a big buck being killed on the TPWD hunts. We haven’t check the acorn crop this year, that will determine how many deer you see, Palo pinto county hunting is brutal when the acorns are falling. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Comment

The timing of the hunt seems bad too. dec 14-16 guessing thats a month after rut? GDE

Comment

The Deer typically chase starting the 2nd week of November, the primary rut will be over. Nearly every year we will have a new big buck on camera on the week of December 17th. With just a couple of days to hunt, I’d suggest you shoot the first mature legal buck you see.

Comment

Stats for the past couple years look decent, from my perspective (which might be different from someone else's) . The fact that it's a hunt with reasonable odds of being drawn is nice too. Actually killing a critter is just icing on top.

Not everone is going to have good kill results on a hunt, at some point. I"ma just happy to be on one. And see different country. And thankful if I get chosen.

Comment

By mid December the second rut is typically in full swing. I 've experienced that there is alot more competition for less does in the later rut.I see more older mature bucks up and moving in the secondary rut than I ever have in the first rut. Good luck on your hunt-you might catch a bruiser offguard and out of his comfort zone!

Comment

We drew this hunt, GDE, December 14-16. We drew this same place some years ago on the management hunt. Me and my brother both tagged out. They said they had been Corning the stand sites 2 weeks before the hunt. On the first sit, I had 2 bucks come in, a 8 & 5 point. We could only shoot 4 points and less. Next morning, had 4 does come in 5 minutes before pick up time. Shot the biggest doe at 30 yards and she fell right on the edge of the park road!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X