Loyalty Points Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loyalty Points Question

Does anyone know the answer to this question...

I entered for 2 different National Refuge Archery Hunts. I presently have 3 loyalty points.

I was drawn (have not bought permit yet) for National Refuge A - but I really want Refuge B and it shows Pending 2nd Draw for Refuge B.

My question is: If I purchase Refuge A permit do that set me back to 0 instantly, which may lower my chances at getting Refuge B; OR does it not matter at this point and my chances are still the same at possibly getting drawn for Refuge B.

*I know going into next year, in back at 0 loyalty points.

Your loyalty points went to zero when you were drawn for Refuge A regardless of whether or not you pay for the permit.

Comment

Thanks RS3!

Any idea how points effect "Pending Second Draw" status?

Comment

Yep, it's unfortunate because sometimes that's the way it goes. But, if you kept your points until you bought a permit, everyone would put in for everything and just wait until they got what they wanted.

Comment

They don't I had 6 points and pending for 2nd draw now I have 7

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
            Yep, it's unfortunate because sometimes that's the way it goes. But, if you kept your points until you bought a permit, everyone would put in for everything and just wait until they got what they wanted.
            That's kind of what I'm thinking on NWR draws.

Why put in for something that you don't want to hunt anyways?

Do you get a point for each NWR (and unit) that you put in for, or is it one point per year for all entries? IE: I apply for 5 different units and dont draw any of them. Do I get 5 loyalty points, or 1?

Comment

Good questions. In the scenario you provided, you'd get one point even though you put in for five places. Get drawn on any of them and you go back to zero.

I drew once but between applying and winning, I had something come up for the weekend I ended up winning, so that may happen occasionally.

One thing to note and you may already know this, so I apologize for any redundancy, but your points get cubed. I'm not as familiar, but I'm assuming if you had 5 points, you'd have 125 "tickets" in the drawing, which is why it's so important to build up points. There are some hunts I really want to go on but I don't have the time right now for the drive. So I may as well put in for the most popular hunt in that category, essentially buying a point, and when I'm in a place where I have more VC time from work, don't have as many family commitments, then I'll have more points for the hunts that I really want to go on. And if I get lucky, great, that's the way it was meant to be.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                Good questions. In the scenario you provided, you'd get one point even though you put in for five places. Get drawn on any of them and you go back to zero.

One thing to note and you may already know this, so I apologize for any redundancy, but your points get cubed. I'm not as familiar, but I'm assuming if you had 5 points, you'd have 125 "tickets" in the drawing, which is why it's so important to build up points. There are some hunts I really want to go on but I don't have the time right now for the drive. So I may as well put in for the most popular hunt in that category, essentially buying a point, and when I'm in a place where I have more VC time from work, don't have as many family commitments, then I'll have more points for the hunts that I really want to go on. And if I get lucky, great, that's the way it was meant to be.
                If you only get one point for each unit you apply for in a specific category "IE NWR-Archery-Deer", then why would you apply for anything other than they section that you specifically want.

Why put in for Lower Rio Grand units (2) if you really want Hagerman and only get 1 point either way?

I'm really curious, not trying to be a *****, just trying to understand the way the system works to better my odds in future years.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonF View Post
                  If you only get one point for each unit you apply for in a specific category "IE NWR-Archery-Deer", then why would you apply for anything other than they section that you specifically want.

Why put in for Lower Rio Grand units (2) if you really want Hagerman and only get 1 point either way?

I'm really curious, not trying to be a *****, just trying to understand the way the system works to better my odds in future years.
                  Because he figures he won't get drawn for the most popular hunt, as it has a lot more entries. That way, he basically bought a point for that year. Unless he actually gets drawn for the hunt...either way, he'd probably consider that a win and find a way to go on the hunt.

Comment

No worries at all, I never took any other way than how you meant it.

For me personally, I've only been doing this for 3 years. I don't have a lease, and with a young son, wife and full time job, I won't be able to put in any time towards hunting publicly. The compromise is that if I win a hunt, I'm going, unless I have made "big" plans for that time period or something comes up.

So when I combine "this is the only opportunities I have," with "I only have 3 or fewer points," in my mind, I am completely fine buying a chance at say 5 of the National Refuge Archery Deer. To me if I win a less desirable hunt, I can catch up to where I was in 3 years.

Let's say I don't win for General Deer though, and I have 8 points. Now I might start narrowing down my selection because I don't want to waste a decade on something I don't want.

That's my train of thought at least.

Comment

Originally posted by CBHunter View Post
                      Because he figures he won't get drawn for the most popular hunt, as it has a lot more entries. That way, he basically bought a point for that year. Unless he actually gets drawn for the hunt...either way, he'd probably consider that a win and find a way to go on the hunt.
                      Pretty much this.

Thing is it’s different for everyone. Some guys will stop applying for the easy to draw hunts after 3-5 loyalty points and just go for the prime draw. Some wait a little longer. Bit of a gamble

Comment

I just checked my status and all day application received so idk if it still has t been drawn for those hunts yet

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                          Pretty much this.

Thing is it’s different for everyone. Some guys will stop applying for the easy to draw hunts after 3-5 loyalty points and just go for the prime draw. Some wait a little longer. Bit of a gamble
                          When you become a senior citizen, and waiting ten more years for a preferred hunt probably won't work, it might be time to apply for more hunts, even if you will lose your points. Soon, I might have to push in all my chips to win something while I can still make the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by BarBBar View Post
                            When you become a senior citizen, and waiting ten more years for a preferred hunt probably won't work, it might be time to apply for more hunts, even if you will lose your points. Soon, I might have to push in all my chips to win something while I can still make the hunt.
                            Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                            Pretty much this.

Hey, I resemble both of those remarks!

Comment

Does anyone know the answer to this question...

I entered for 2 different National Refuge Archery Hunts. I presently have 3 loyalty points.

I was drawn (have not bought permit yet) for National Refuge A - but I really want Refuge B and it shows Pending 2nd Draw for Refuge B.

My question is: If I purchase Refuge A permit do that set me back to 0 instantly, which may lower my chances at getting Refuge B; OR does it not matter at this point and my chances are still the same at possibly getting drawn for Refuge B.

*I know going into next year, in back at 0 loyalty points.
                              I drew Enchanted Rock Antlerless last year and a few days later drew Gus Engeling Antlerlesson the second draw. Even though your points zeroed after being drawn it is not impossible to get drawn on the other

Comment

Working...
                              X