Public Land Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Land Elk

If you were fortunate enough to take a Colorado diy public land elk with a bow, how big would it have to be for you to consider having it shoulder mounted?

A decent 5 pt would be nice on the wall, maybe 270ish.
    Any 6 pt perhaps, unless just a nice young bull with potential.
    Euros work well for rag horns and smaller bulls but get mounted what you want to get mounted. Might be your only elk.
    We have no elk mounts, no place for one, but have a ton of euros.

You can have them done that have removeable antlers for ease of hanging.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
      A decent 5 pt would be nice on the wall, maybe 270ish.
      Any 6 pt perhaps, unless just a nice young bull with potential.
      Euros work well for rag horns and smaller bulls but get mounted what you want to get mounted. Might be your only elk.
      We have no elk mounts, no place for one, but have a ton of euros.

You can have them done that have removeable antlers for ease of hanging.
      I was thinking a 5x5 over 300" or a nice 6x6 330 or better. I will have room in the barndo we are building so I haven't ever considered one before now. For me personally I will consider a mature cow or a small raghorn a trophy but to cough up the dough a shoulder mount will run I'll be a little more successful.

We saw a bull that would have easily been 320+ last year on our hunt but couldn't make it happen. My youngest brother has a 5x5 on the wall thats just over 315" and it looks great!

Talked to my taxidermist earlier today and said he would do removable antlers for an extra $400 if I needed/wanted them.

Comment

You might be surprised how nice a sub 300" elk looks but for sure the bigger the better.
        And, wow on the removeable antlers cost, but it can be very handy.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
          You might be surprised how nice a sub 300" elk looks but for sure the bigger the better.
          And, wow on the removeable antlers cost, but it can be very handy.
          This one was in the 280s, and I love the way the Euro turned out. It fits good enough above my desk. I don't have a good spot to hang a full shoulder, but if I ever was to take one above 320 I think I'd have to make it happen.
          Attached Files

Comment

Whatever you like and are proud of. Don't care about what someone else might think.

Comment

Working...
            X