X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
      No more kill board for Laguna. Definitely miss that part!

I think us hunters need to voice our opinions to the Refuge Hunt Coordinator and bring it back. It’s our hunt. If we want it back, it can be brought back if we speak up enough.

It’s part of the history of hunting the refuge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow just got back last night from an awesome trip. Met some TBH'ers down there, which is always a pleasure.

We got into whitetails a number of times but only brought one home with us. Tuesday morning I had a couple does come into my setup and I foolishly tried a neck shot on an alerted doe rather than waiting for her to take another step out from behind a tree. She ducked it with ease and, no arrow, blood, or deer recovered. Should have been more patient.

That was after an incident on Saturday morning where we found a mature buck out cruising, and I headed to cut him off. While carefully creeping up the hill through armpit high soaking wet grass, scanning.. there HE IS RIGHT THERE like 10 yards ahead of me. I ducked down immediately just as he became aware of my presence. I could see his antler tips turn towards me but he couldn't tell what I was. I wanted to wait for him to turn away so i could stand up and shoot him but he just froze, looking. It was probably 30 seconds, long enough for my legs to start hurting and for the thought to cross my mind that this would make for good video if I could only get the phone out of my pocket. I should have drawn while squatting down, slowly stood up, and shot him through the grass in the chest at point blank range. Instead, I waited long enough for the wind to swirl and he bounded away.

If I may enter into self-reflection... rather than risk screwing up the encounter, I waited until it screwed itself up. I can see the same tendency towards perfectionism can result in inaction, where action is what's needed, in hunting as well as other aspects of life. How to recognize when an opportunity is as good as it's gonna get, and go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
          I think us hunters need to voice our opinions to the Refuge Hunt Coordinator and bring it back. It’s our hunt. If we want it back, it can be brought back if we speak up enough.

yeah that's part of the fun. I guess George is the guy to talk to?

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
            Emotional event right here. My best friend passed in October and this is his bicycle. He kept telling me to keep it and put it to use on one of those crazy hunts. Well, today is that day. Bunch of miles from anywhere where and now comes the fun rigging part. Here's to you Billy Goat.
            awesome, congrats STB, and a nice tribute.

Comment

Mr Public - thanks as always for keeping us entertained with live updates of the highs and lows this year. Unbelievable action you guys had. Hope to cross paths with you in the field some day.. if for no other reason than it would mean I was probably in a very good spot

Only if you wear it around your neck and get jumped in the gang. It’s like a motorcycle gang, but with ebikes & bows.

You only get invited once a level of trust is established first. (Meant that)

Laguna is the most challenging and most rewarding archery opportunity in Texas. Pansies can’t hang, quitters quit, and high class folks can’t even understand what the fuss is about.

This is real actual primitive hunting, south Texas Laguna style.

But now you’ve earned a reputable merit in terms of archery hunting Texas Public lands, because anything is a trophy and well earned. Few can say they’ve had success.

Congratulations, you’ve just achieve what only 10% of archers do annually. That’s a super accomplishment in my book![emoji106][emoji1666][emoji1683]

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post
                If I may enter into self-reflection... rather than risk screwing up the encounter, I waited until it screwed itself up. I can see the same tendency towards perfectionism can result in inaction, where action is what's needed, in hunting as well as other aspects of life. How to recognize when an opportunity is as good as it's gonna get, and go for it.
                Well stated, and I can relate for sure.

Comment

Our crew is switching gears from our other hunts and looking to Laguna prep for the January hunt. I got a couple questions for yall since this is our first trip.
                  1) How are the fleas on these critters down there? I've sometimes packed a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol mixture to knock them back for cleaning as I hate fleas jumping all over.
                  2) Have the skeeters been bad? Still 2.5 weeks til our hunt so could change, just curious.
                  3) Are we allowed to haul out deadheads or sheds and such, or those off limits? I looked in the brochure they emailed us but I'm not seeing that answered unless I missed it somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                    Our crew is switching gears from our other hunts and looking to Laguna prep for the January hunt. I got a couple questions for yall since this is our first trip.
                    1) How are the fleas on these critters down there? I've sometimes packed a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol mixture to knock them back for cleaning as I hate fleas jumping all over.
                    2) Have the skeeters been bad? Still 2.5 weeks til our hunt so could change, just curious.
                    3) Are we allowed to haul out deadheads or sheds and such, or those off limits? I looked in the brochure they emailed us but I'm not seeing that answered unless I missed it somewhere else.

We didn’t have any issues with fleas, mosquitoes were really bad in some areas…really bad. Spray clothes with permethrin spray and bring OFF.

Also- DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT even touch deadheads or sheds on the refuge. A TBH’r on this thread posted a picture just holding some sheds and put them back down and got a ticket in the mail for interfering with a natural artifact. Definitely don’t mess with them.

Comment

I emailed the staff today requesting the same thing. I requested that even if they don’t man the chalk board to at least let people self report on it. I said it is part of the LANWR tradition every Hunter looks forward to seeing and adds to the magic of the hunt. I encourage you all to do the same and voice your opinion.

Comment

Had a good interaction with Officer Thomas from FWS that I'm happy to report. Very courteous and patient as we produced the correct documentation. I actually didn't realize that the cutout from the regulations was required, since it doesn't have any personally identifiable information on it. It would be easy to falsify it if someone was so inclined?? Whereas the TPWD permit at least has a name and serial number that could be verified.

Comment

Originally posted by ZINS708 View Post
                          I emailed the staff today requesting the same thing. I requested that even if they don’t man the chalk board to at least let people self report on it. I said it is part of the LANWR tradition every Hunter looks forward to seeing and adds to the magic of the hunt. I encourage you all to do the same and voice your opinion.

It also gives the hunters, who are a selected few, a sense of accomplishment to see her/his name on the board.

Comment

skeeters on Friday night were off the charts, can confirm. We forgot bug spray, but quickly remembered it. Assume the worst even for January to avoid disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by ZINS708 View Post
                              We didn’t have any issues with fleas, mosquitoes were really bad in some areas…really bad. Spray clothes with permethrin spray and bring OFF.

Also- DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT even touch deadheads or sheds on the refuge. A TBH’r on this thread posted a picture just holding some sheds and put them back down and got a ticket in the mail for interfering with a natural artifact. Definitely don’t mess with them.

lol wow, glad I asked thank you.

I've got two bulk bottles of the spray, freaking HATE ticks with a passion so I'm probably gonna shave myself bald too lol. I got some Picaridin lotion that's supposed to repel for 14 hours I'll be bathing in that stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                                lol wow, glad I asked thank you.

I've got two bulk bottles of the spray, freaking HATE ticks with a passion so I'm probably gonna shave myself bald too lol. I got some Picaridin lotion that's supposed to repel for 14 hours I'll be bathing in that stuff too.

Shaving doesn’t work because they love the stubble. You have to get the root. Full body wax is the only option [emoji16]

Comment

Working...
                                X