Laguna Atascosa NWR 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
    I’m understand that on a managed wma where you bring it to a check station. But this is federal land and I believe you use your own.

Can digital tag also, but still needs to be documented. He did have a tag on it. Zoom in- it’s tagged and tied on with para-cord on his antlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, looks like I have Mr Public's luck. Mis-judged yardage with 30yd pin and she was at 40. Must have hit way low. Blood was dark and good for 40yds then disappeared. I've grid searched to no avail.

This has been a great trip and still have this evening and tomorrow to go. On 1st day I had 3 bulls at 17 yds sitting on ground and could get turned around in my chair as they were behind me. Walked up on a buck yesterday morning in the dark to 10ft, he just stood up and walked off. Had piglets run under my blind last night and shot a doe riding in this evening.

January gun hunt here will be a blast. No pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
        Well, looks like I have Mr Public's luck. Mis-judged yardage with 30yd pin and she was at 40. Must have hit way low. Blood was dark and good for 40yds then disappeared. I've grid searched to no avail.

This has been a great trip and still have this evening and tomorrow to go. On 1st day I had 3 bulls at 17 yds sitting on ground and could get turned around in my chair as they were behind me. Walked up on a buck yesterday morning in the dark to 10ft, he just stood up and walked off. Had piglets run under my blind last night and shot a doe riding in this evening.

January gun hunt here will be a blast. No pun intended.
        Dang it man. Hate to read that. Keep after em! Don’t let Laguna beat you

Comment

Had to head home a day early for a sick kid. Only shot the one 8 point, but happy to contribute to the A-Team kill count! What a phenomenal hunt. Had game all around and Nilgai just out of range. Learned a ton and will be back better next draw. Thanks to Mr Public and TXOUTDOORSMAN24 for the help as it was my first time hunting the unit we were in.

The trip is so much fun with a group of solid guys and help close by when stuff breaks and animals die. Good luck to those hunting still and to the January group. There are a few animals still in there for ya! Enjoy God’s country!

Comment

ATeam was the wrecking crew of Laguna atascosa as they usually are. You guys did great and I really enjoyed you guys posting your hunt here for all to enjoy even if it's via the internet for lots of us.

Mr. Public has been awfully quiet today( must be cleaning Megatron)and really hope he and Senor Public Senior had a great time out in LA
            Last edited by RiverRat00; 12-19-2022, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
              Had to head home a day early for a sick kid. Only shot the one 8 point, but happy to contribute to the A-Team kill count! What a phenomenal hunt. Had game all around and Nilgai just out of range. Learned a ton and will be back better next draw. Thanks to Mr Public and TXOUTDOORSMAN24 for the help as it was my first time hunting the unit we were in.

The trip is so much fun with a group of solid guys and help close by when stuff breaks and animals die. Good luck to those hunting still and to the January group. There are a few animals still in there for ya! Enjoy God’s country!

Good job man you did really great for being your first time there, nice trophy you got from a tough place to hunt.

Also hoping your kiddo gets well soon

Comment

Me and a buddy thru in the towel and headed home today. I put in 16 miles and at 62 wore myself out doing it never finding a solid place to hunt. Wore myself out too much to keep looking. If we’d have had more action we would have kept at it. Fatigue and stuff at home marked a win for Laguna. We’ll be back in January with a rifle to make up for it.
                Great reading all the other successes also great meeting more green screen members. Definitely representing

Comment

Another day leaving me in disbelief. Something is wrong with me. Even Dad told me “you’re a better hunter than that, and a better shooter than that” as we spoke about the mishaps of today.

This morning I sat the same tree as the Day 1 morning, another good buck came out the same exact trail and direction, again 50yds plus.
                  I did not have to stop this one as he put his head down, still no Time to use binoculars to look.
                  I guessed him at 50yds from my previous ranging. Took my time, aimed low, let it go. He reacted and right over his back the arrow went. 3rd shot on a buck, making a 2nd clean miss. What the hell.

10:30 I decided to call it a morning, loaded my pack and did not even care to put on to climb down so I dropped it from my dead mesquite. Put on quiver, un knocked arrow, tied bow on and lower it: got ready to climb down. Here comes a buck. Same trail. Pulled bow back up, knocked an arrow and he heard it and freaked out. He settled down and came forward. His left beam was broke off right past the brow, yielding 4 points and enough width to make him outside his ears. I wasn’t interested and let him go by without slinging one at that distance again.

It gets worse from there. Heading back, I came across 2 cows and some calves. Took a shot at one cow quartering hard at less than 30yds. Smacked her hard. Dad saw her run by him less than 10ft away. Gave it almost 2 hrs after finding good blood where Dad saw her run through. It had to be a double lung with arrow sticking in opposite shoulder. Kudu broad head missing from arrow found 30yds away, broke off at insert.
                  I felt confident this one was dead.

Came back 2hrs later. Got on the blood trail and followed it pretty quickly. No exit. Blood 3 feet high on brush. Bubbles. All the things.

Lost the blood at 370yards of ducking, bobbing and weaving through trails in thick brush until we hit less dense brush more open vegetation.

I’m not blaming a broadhead, as I say I could kill anything with anything- it could be a house key on the end of an arrow. So it must just be my shots. Granted several have been longer than I prefer or have attempted, 51yd, 53yds, 60yd misses, and connected on all 30yd shots.

This has been a tough pill to swallow and keep repeating. More shots in 4 days than the past 4 years combined.

I’m ready to hang it up now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                    Another day leaving me in disbelief. Something is wrong with me. Even Dad told me “you’re a better hunter than that, and a better shooter than that” as we spoke about the mishaps of today.

This morning I sat the same tree as the Day 1 morning, another good buck came out the same exact trail and direction, again 50yds plus.
                    I did not have to stop this one as he put his head down, still no Time to use binoculars to look.
                    I guessed him at 50yds from my previous ranging. Took my time, aimed low, let it go. He reacted and right over his back the arrow went. 3rd shot on a buck, making a 2nd clean miss. What the hell.

10:30 I decided to call it a morning, loaded my pack and did not even care to put on to climb down so I dropped it from my dead mesquite. Put on quiver, un knocked arrow, tied bow on and lower it: got ready to climb down. Here comes a buck. Same trail. Pulled bow back up, knocked an arrow and he heard it and freaked out. He settled down and came forward. His left beam was broke off right past the brow, yielding 4 points and enough width to make him outside his ears. I wasn’t interested and let him go by without slinging one at that distance again.

It gets worse from there. Heading back, I came across 2 cows and some calves. Took a shot at one cow quartering hard at less than 30yds. Smacked her hard. Dad saw her run by him less than 10ft away. Gave it almost 2 hrs after finding good blood where Dad saw her run through. It had to be a double lung with arrow sticking in opposite shoulder. Kudu broad head missing from arrow found 30yds away, broke off at insert.

Came back 2hrs later. Got on the blood trail and followed it pretty quickly. No exit. Blood 3 feet high on brush. Bubbles. All the things.

Lost the blood at 370yards of ducking, bobbing and weaving through trails in thick brush until we hit less dense brush more open vegetation.

I’m not blaming a broadhead, as I say I could kill anything with anything- it could be a house key on the end of an arrow. So it must just be my shots. Granted several have been longer than I prefer or have attempted, 51yd, 53yds, 60yd misses, and connected on all 30yd shots.

This has been a tough pill to swallow and keep repeating. More shots in 4 days than the past 4 years combined.

Oh Mr. Public your human as human can be. Don't quit man you are more than that.

I know it sucks but what makes Mr.Public the person he is is persistence and passion for public land challenges.

But I know how frustrated you must feel, like everyone here and you have mentioned, that place is as challenging as it comes but you have been there and conquered the place like few have .

Remember , those animals are big/tough . Might be dead somewhere but archery hunting is difficult especially when blood stops and you can't find trail.

You did your part and tried looking for it but sometimes things happen and you need to accept that it's apart of the " hunt"

Keep your chin up man, it happens.

Comment

Push through tomorrow, you know what you’re capable of

Comment

Quarterimg hard you got one lung I bet, them things can go a long time on one lung. Everybody has those down streaks, sooner or later the up streak will come as well. Nothing you can do just gotta accept it. Some guys reboot and try next trip and some hard nose through, but either way the low will eventually end.

Comment

But what a whirlwind of a hunt you are having. You’re seeing and shooting at more game than 90% of the hunters out there (10% being the rest of the A team)

Comment

I know you are just talking through it. Like said above, keep your head up. Think of what you would be telling someone else if you were on this side of the table.

Comment

Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
                              But what a whirlwind of a hunt you are having. You’re seeing and shooting at more game than 90% of the hunters out there (10% being the rest of the A team)

I’ve slung 6 arrows at 3 bucks and 3 nilgai, could have slung more.
                              I’ve got nothing but disappointment thus far.
                              I’m not sure what my problem is or where I got this bad karma from. I help many out here. I pray hard daily for Dad to get his chance. It just feels like I’m doing all the things right, but a force field is stopping me from being me and my typical doings.

I’ve felt off. I’m exhausted. I haven’t taken care of myself physically, I can go without eating for a full day on a hunt which is typical. I grind. I usually lose 1lb per day in Colorado and at Laguna. I put no time aside for relaxation, there is no time- I’ve got things to do.

God can come through for Dad. I’ll be there on the side waiting for it to happen. I’ve been wanting Dad in a specific spot this whole week yet he just finally got there this evening, but has been pushing in there with me every day but not setting up on this spot I wanted him to, he likes his pop up.
                              Had he been there before he’d have had a 30yd shot a hammer 10pt and great bull, but opted for another spot against my wishes. I couldn’t leave that spot unhunted- it’s proven.

Appreciate the positive comments fellas. I’m going to try and sleep this one off again.

Comment

You'll be better tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day.

Comment

Working...
                                X