Laguna Atascosa NWR 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saggybows12 View Post

So what’s the scouting tactic when there’s a cold front blowing in Saturday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    69% chance of rain. Leave the bike at home and be prepared for the mud to cake up on your boots. If you guys do get a good amount of rain leave the bike at home for the entire hunt. Wet ground and bikes don't mix out there.

Comment

How was the game check-in process this year? Any smoother than previous years?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I think it went smoothly. I texted the number to notify them. The tick paperwork to me was a little confusing but i figured it out. Wish people were at the checkstation like years past for questions and so, but i called the number and they were very friendly and helpful.

Comment

Found this old tripod across the resaca in 8

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          Camo orange like Kryptek orange allowed? I'm thinking it's easier to just wear it the whole time.
          As long as you meet their sq in requirement you should be good. I just wish they’d put it in the regs. His email says “required” but then said wear it when moving in the unit. I don’t believe that’s the state law, their regs say follow state law, and I don’t see where in the state law orange would be a requirement. I’m mainly curious, I indent to wear orange so it’s a mute point, but it’s nice to know for sure, especially when it sounds like someone may have gotten in trouble for not wearing orange.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurchy View Post

I know where that is. I hunted close to there a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurchy View Post

I found one just like that at Amistad, clearly abandoned all grown in around it. I thought heck that's cool I'm gonna go sit in it and clear out some shooting lanes. I got about halfway up there and caught movement, one of the largest wasp nests I've ever seen in the wild was underneath the seat and they weren't looking very happy with me. I decided I'd go back to my normally scheduled activities. lol

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Camo orange like Kryptek orange allowed? I'm thinking it's easier to just wear it the whole time.
                Yes it is. I don't remember where I read it but it specifically said camo orange is allowed. And for archery hunts it is only required when you're moving. You can take it off once you're in your spot.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                    Yes it is. I don't remember where I read it but it specifically said camo orange is allowed. And for archery hunts it is only required when you're moving. You can take it off once you're in your spot.

It was in the online YouTube orientation video from last year.

Comment

It was in the online YouTube orientation video from last year.

You’re right, i rewatched it and that’s where I had gotten it from. I remember I couldn’t understand what he said at the end of that statement though haha. If the hunters really were trespassing they deserve to have the book thrown at them, it ruins it for the rest of us, but it sucks for them that none of this year’s materials mention the YouTube video.

Comment

This is correct. It's what we and the few hunters we saw out in the field did this hunt.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                          I know where that is. I hunted close to there a couple years ago.
                          I’ve hunted from that tripod. Don’t move it, I need it in December 😂

Comment

Everyone knows about that tripod. Sit it if you want your hunt busted repeatedly.

It’s an OG Refuge hunter set up from way back, it’s also the epitome of what will come when a spot is leaked: It’s ruined for life.

Possible it could’ve pay off, but the time is limited before another hunter comes to sit it. Even if you’re first, you’re still last Ricky Bobbies!

Comment

Just got caught up on the thread. Awesome to see these guys success. Glad to see some TBHers getting it done. Congrats! I can’t wait to smell Laguna

Comment

Anyone have experience with snake gaiters? I don't have snake boots, so figured this would be a cheaper and possibly more comfortable option for the extensive hiking it seems is needed for the hunt. I am pretty careful when hiking around in the woods, but from the pictures I've seen it looks like this place is 90% tall thick grass....

Comment

Working...
                                X