Laguna Atascosa NWR 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
    @Txfire409 is in the know, I think everyone should go to that “killing tree”. Dozens of hunters will go with confidence on each hunt period, all to be blundered by more hunters- killing time.

@txoutdoorsman24- remember in 2019 there was a guy on a small mini ebike following our hunt party around on scouting day. Every time we came out of the brush, there he was. How ironic?! I recall saying that he was following us around. That was @Txfire409 wasn’t it? Was that you @Txfire409?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know you like to flatter yourself and you are your own biggest fan but sorry to disappoint you, that wasnt me. You and two other guys on ebikes caught up with me one time on the west side of unit one and we stopped and chatted for a minute but then yall took off and I never saw you again. I dont remember if it was scouting day or not. Regardless, if someone was following you it must have been one of your many adoring tbh fanboys because I have never followed anyone out there.

Again, I wasnt knocking you for receiving any advice or help but I've apparently struck a nerve judging by your responses. I've welcomed any info anyone was willing to share with me. Lanwr is huge and it can take a long time to learn it.

Comment

Originally posted by deerslay3r View Post
      I drew the general gun deer for November 18th-20th. I already booked a room at the Port Isla Inn.

I have seen tons of recommendations about ebikes or bikes with the attached carts to get further into the place. Is this something that is really necessary? From what I have read, it sounds like you have pretty good access, just park and walk into the brush. I hunted Powderhorn last year so I know what to expect as far as marshy terrain, thick oak Mott and mesquite.

I have an Academy game cart and plan to use that.

I was drawn solo, so if anyone wants to work together, I'm all ears.

Went last year. If you have a bike/trailer that can help. But you could spend alot of time traveling or fixing flats.
      We saw Nilgai but were never close enough.

If we get to go again rifle
      We will learn/practice long range shots, over 200 yards. Go light and be ready for all day sits.

Take game cart and stage it near your spot, so you can extend your range.

Can’t emphasize this enough it’s freaking hot and you will go so **** far. Hydrate up big time, Gatorade is your best friend.
      Bring snacks and food. Sun can be brutal out there.

We went pretty deep in brush, for shade. Permethrin worked grate.

Also seemed like it was deer early and late, Nilgai during the day.

We passed on 2 scrawny does point blank range. One group of the NilgaI were 250-300 yards out. My son found a herd of cows but they were spooked and over 400 yards out on off limits area.

Were new at this, but its soo much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
        Went last year. If you have a bike/trailer that can help. But you could spend alot of time traveling or fixing flats.
        We saw Nilgai but were never close enough.

If we get to go again rifle
        We will learn/practice long range shots, over 200 yards. Go light and be ready for all day sits.

Take game cart and stage it near your spot, so you can extend your range.

Can’t emphasize this enough it’s freaking hot and you will go so **** far. Hydrate up big time, Gatorade is your best friend.
        Bring snacks and food. Sun can be brutal out there.

We went pretty deep in brush, for shade. Permethrin worked grate.

Also seemed like it was deer early and late, Nilgai during the day.

We passed on 2 scrawny does point blank range. One group of the NilgaI were 250-300 yards out. My son found a herd of cows but they were spooked and over 400 yards out on off limits area.

Were new at this, but its soo much fun.

Thank you for the insight. I can get a bike/cart for cheap...just don't know about transporting it all the way down there along with all of my coolers and gear.

Comment

Thank you for the insight. I can get a bike/cart for cheap...just don't know about transporting it all the way down there along with all of my coolers and gear.
          I’ll tell you this, my first hunt there I went on foot. It wasn’t horrible but it was a lot harder on the body. After a couple days I was looking to hunt closer to the parking areas and not venture in deeper away from the crowds. I borrowed a Nike from a buddy that was there and it was night and day difference. I have used a bike on every hunt since. The ease of getting where you need to go and getting there much faster is worth the hassle. Plus loading an animal on a cart and pulling it out is worth it.
          A bike will make Laguna feel ten times smaller than being on foot!!

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
            I’ll tell you this, my first hunt there I went on foot. It wasn’t horrible but it was a lot harder on the body. After a couple days I was looking to hunt closer to the parking areas and not venture in deeper away from the crowds. I borrowed a Nike from a buddy that was there and it was night and day difference. I have used a bike on every hunt since. The ease of getting where you need to go and getting there much faster is worth the hassle. Plus loading an animal on a cart and pulling it out is worth it.
            A bike will make Laguna feel ten times smaller than being on foot!!
            Any recommendations for tires on the bike? Amazon has quite a few options for solid tires.

Comment

How are the roads? If I drive a mini van will it hinder me driving around the roads at all or should I bring the truck? The van will hold an incredible amount of gear but Indont want it to be an issue driving around.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                How are the roads? If I drive a mini van will it hinder me driving around the roads at all or should I bring the truck? The van will hold an incredible amount of gear but Indont want it to be an issue driving around.
                You won’t have an issue.

Comment

Any recommendations for tires on the bike? Amazon has quite a few options for solid tires.
                  I couldn’t tell you as I haven’t ever switched my tires out. Only added some slime and took off. For the most part roads are pretty good with minimal thorns. I’ve only had one flat there in 5 hunts

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                    All the roads that you are allowed to drive on are all caliche so no problem there. Roads off of main roads are not though. For those that have not been there before, if your plan is to bike, also be prepared to walk in the event of rain. That top layer of mud will clog up your bike tires fast. So just make sure and have a good pair of hiking boots as well.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                      I couldn’t tell you as I haven’t ever switched my tires out. Only added some slime and took off. For the most part roads are pretty good with minimal thorns. I’ve only had one flat there in 5 hunts

I use Mr Tuffy tire liners and slime. Carry around a bottle of slime and a bike pump. You get a thorn, leave it in if it’s not leaking air… if you have to pull it out, pump more slime in and air it up until it seals.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                        All the roads that you are allowed to drive on are all caliche so no problem there. Roads off of main roads are not though. For those that have not been there before, if your plan is to bike, also be prepared to walk in the event of rain. That top layer of mud will clog up your bike tires fast. So just make sure and have a good pair of hiking boots as well.
                        This x10. If it rains leave your bike at your truck. Our first year we all took bikes and it rained the second night. The next morning we got about 100 yds in before our wheels were completely caked with mud. We ended up leaving the bikes right there off the trail and walked the rest of the way.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

So the Family and I are packing up and headed down for the 11/11 archery hunt. This is my first drawn hunt, and am unfamiliar with LANWR. Unfortunately I won’t be able to scout the day before because of work. I was wondering if it was worth bringing my saddle system down or if I should just plan on hunting from the ground.

Also are the orientations the first day of the hunt still mandatory or not. I remember reading somewhere they were but can’t find it in the PDF.

Comment

Originally posted by dels322 View Post
                            So the Family and I are packing up and headed down for the 11/11 archery hunt. This is my first drawn hunt, and am unfamiliar with LANWR. Unfortunately I won’t be able to scout the day before because of work. I was wondering if it was worth bringing my saddle system down or if I should just plan on hunting from the ground.

Also are the orientations the first day of the hunt still mandatory or not. I remember reading somewhere they were but can’t find it in the PDF.
                            I noticed that too about orientation. In the past we had to fill stuff out and show licenses and all that.

Comment

Tannus Armor worked great for my fat bike!

Comment

Originally posted by dels322 View Post

They havent done orientations since covid. The last couple of years they send out an email about a week before your hunt with a video to watch and that's considered your orientation. Looks like they'll be doing that again this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X