Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Aransas NWR Archery Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aransas NWR Archery Deer

I just got drawn for the Aransas NWR Archery hunt for 10/8-16. I have absolutely zero experience of the area so I am seeking any advice as to what to expect, conditions, necessary gear, successful tactics, etc... Thank you in advance for the help!

given the amount of rain they've had lately. Hip waders, 2 cases of mosquito spray and a portable A/C unit

Comment

Mosquitoes, lots and lots of mosquitoes.

Comment

Its been a while since I have been out there but a short portable tripod (8-10 foot), 2 Thermocells and a bug suit. Honestly, that is the most mosquitoes I have ever seen while hunting.

Comment

Plan on wearing at least 2 layers of clothing. Might ought to be ready for 3.
          Lightweight gloves. Headnet. I'd suggest heavy boots also, but that's just me.
          If you walk thru grass, expect a black cloud around you. Cover every inch of skin or you can wipe your arm and get bloody.

If you have strap on steps, strap on stand, or ladder stand they'd come in very handy.
          I say that, but I haven't been there since the advent of the draw system for there. They may have stands, but I kinda doubt it.
          If you bundle up the hunting is enjoyable, if not it can be miserable.
          Thermacells may work, I went before they were prevalent or even out.

I found, like they were lost a couple oil leases and a few pipeline right of ways and followed them to some good locations. Saw hogs and deer but never loosed an arrow. Recurve hunting and always too far away.

Couple of shell roads that lead back into forest provided good scouting also. You'll run across many trails that way.

Edit: BTW, if you go to the bay edge/grass flats, they used to have observation towers, don't know if they still do, and willing to scout an evening or morning you can crawl up one of those towers and get energized.
          Last edited by hpdrifter; 09-02-2022, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Get the rinoskin suit. It helps out a ton out there and is worth the extra sweat. yeah it looks dumb but itll save your life out there. I eventually got the face mask too. I would bring hip waders or knee high rubber boots for sure. We have gotten a ton of rain the past few weeks so there will be mosquitos every where and itll be plenty wet. If you dont have a 4 wheel drive stay on the top side of the refugee. The roads are pretty bad on the bottom side even when its mostly dry. Watch out for snakes and gators too since there are plenty of them down there.

A light weight tripod seems to be the way to go down there. There isnt a ton of trees that you can connect to.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
              I just got drawn for the Aransas NWR Archery hunt for 10/8-16. I have absolutely zero experience of the area so I am seeking any advice as to what to expect, conditions, necessary gear, successful tactics, etc... Thank you in advance for the help!
              I got drawn for the same dates and it will be my first time as well.

Comment

I liked hunting the flats of of lime ash road . I thinks that’s the name of it . What ever the one is that borders the ICW . Always seen deer there . Miss the days of camping on the side of the road .

Comment

Tough hunt. Like said above the mosquitoes are vicious and relentless. But there are some good deer there. Hogs are almost a given. Hip boots a must as you will probably be hunting in ankle to knee deep water. Check topo maps online and find high ground. Hunt the edges of those on trails, without out getting to far on high ground “bedding areas”. Keep in mind lots of folks will also be doing this. It was a great time hunting there back in high school, not so much now.

Comment

Same here. First time drawn and my nephew was on the app with me so he’s going too.

Any photos of success? Any idea of what the avg buck looks like out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone View Post
                      Same here. First time drawn and my nephew was on the app with me so he’s going too.

Any photos of success? Any idea of what the avg buck looks like out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      They are coastal deer- avg mature buck weighs 110-150 lbs. They will go from 115-150 score wise. There are occasional bigger living there. Sorry, I don't have any harvest info as no one I know over 30 hunts there any more

Comment

That’s the only hunt I had on this last round of draws and I didn’t make the first go round. Never been there but heard plenty about it.
                        To be honest the only reason I’ve entered that hunt is the close proximity to me and the lack of anywhere else to bow hunt t this year.

I grew up hunting areas just like the refuge. Get ready to sweat and swat bugs.
                        Like mentioned before, 100-115” deer is gonna be your average with the occasional 120’s to 130’s possibly. There’s probably a few big boys scattered in there also. From what I’ve heard and read it’s so thick there’s no way their can’t be a few good ones in there.

Comment

Spray yourself with Raid Flying insect killer!!! Tape up boots/pant legs. Watch for snakes and dont get chased by javalinas

Comment

Run at least 2 thermocells

Comment

Stay home

Comment

Working...
                              X