No announcement yet.

2022-2023 caddo national grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody done any scouting? I'm up here now.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnEdward View Post
      Anybody done any scouting? I'm up here now.
      I got my scouting done in July/early August. I try and stay out of the areas I'm interested in for several weeks leading into when I plan on hunting them.
      With that said, I'm sure I will still come across several spots that I like that have been boogered up by the time I get around to hunting them.

Comment

Went to some of the smaller Ladonia pieces. There were cows everywhere. Not real fond of public lands being used that way. Basically wrote those units off - I don’t want to have a good hunt ruined by cows.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
          Went to some of the smaller Ladonia pieces. There were cows everywhere. Not real fond of public lands being used that way. Basically wrote those units off - I don’t want to have a good hunt ruined by cows.
          How recent was this? I hate hunting those properties when they are running cattle on them. The cattle completely mow down most of the thick cover the deer use.
          I have a couple of spots that I wanted to revisit from last season but would likely be deterred if they are still running cattle on them.

Comment

Originally posted by 1sickLT1 View Post
            How recent was this? I hate hunting those properties when they are running cattle on them. The cattle completely mow down most of the thick cover the deer use.
            I have a couple of spots that I wanted to revisit from last season but would likely be deterred if they are still running cattle on them.
            I was out there last weekend. One of the small units I went to had a “campground”. If you’re looking at the satellite imagery, basically any unit where you can see obvious trails. I got really excited only to find out they’re so worn down and visible because cows use them.

Comment

Originally posted by 1sickLT1 View Post
              I got my scouting done in July/early August. I try and stay out of the areas I'm interested in for several weeks leading into when I plan on hunting them.
              With that said, I'm sure I will still come across several spots that I like that have been boogered up by the time I get around to hunting them.
              I understand that approach for sure. I'm more of a very recent sign type of guy myself. Scout my way in and out and hunt the freshest sign I see.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnEdward View Post
                I understand that approach for sure. I'm more of a very recent sign type of guy myself. Scout my way in and out and hunt the freshest sign I see.

Same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been there a few times. The first time was back in late November of 2019 and I rattled in a couple of small bucks. I kept rattling and had decided to take the one buck that stuck around and noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. The biggest buck I've seen in a long time. It was huge. By the time I picked up my rifle, he disappeared into the trees. I tried to stalk him but he was gone. It was at that exact moment that I realized I don't know the first thing about stalking deer hahahaha

Went out last December and got a nice hog. I'll post about it when I have forum privileges.

I really like the terrain of the unit it's just that it does get pressure.

Comment

Working...
                  X