No announcement yet.

Grapevine Hunting 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually ran into 2 guys on a four wheeler this morning. But they were park rangers. FYI, they are out pulling stands and trail cameras. They will check cards on cameras and if they are older than 24 hours, they will pull it down. I had seen four wheeler tracks the other day thinking it was some yahoo that was out there illegally but maybe it was the rangers. In 2014, I had a four wheeler drive about 40 yards from me, hang out then drive off. About 30 minutes later, I shot a nice 8 pointer from the wood lot those guys came out of. Crazy stuff!

I sat this morning and had a 1.5 year old buck work past me about 18 yards. There was a doe bedded close to the tree I hung in but that was all the deer I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
      I actually ran into 2 guys on a four wheeler this morning. But they were park rangers. FYI, they are out pulling stands and trail cameras. They will check cards on cameras and if they are older than 24 hours, they will pull it down. I had seen four wheeler tracks the other day thinking it was some yahoo that was out there illegally but maybe it was the rangers. In 2014, I had a four wheeler drive about 40 yards from me, hang out then drive off. About 30 minutes later, I shot a nice 8 pointer from the wood lot those guys came out of. Crazy stuff!

I sat this morning and had a 1.5 year old buck work past me about 18 yards. There was a doe bedded close to the tree I hung in but that was all the deer I saw.
      Which part of the land did you see them?

I’ve seen tracks as well and wondered who it was, figured it was folks riding around from a nearby neighborhood.

Comment

I’ve checked the rules, and I don’t see anything that says cameras aren’t allowed. That’s ridiculous if they are pulling cameras down.

Comment

Originally posted by SPaw View Post
          I’ve checked the rules, and I don’t see anything that says cameras aren’t allowed. That’s ridiculous if they are pulling cameras down.
          I'm calling them in the morning.

Comment

I've never known it wasn't allowed. I've seen plenty of cameras out there.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree. Stands and blinds are listed, nothing on cameras.

Comment

I just called and left a voicemail with one of the rangers for clarity (not sure if he's on this thread or not). I also have never known of that rule and can't find it anywhere online either. Only the rule with stands/blinds that are to be taken down at the end of each day which I agree with. But I don't understand that camera rule. It's a hunting tactic, it doesn't hurt any vegetation or wildlife, doesn't stake claim to areas.

It's actually a pressing issue for me because one of my cell cams came up missing when I went out yesterday afternoon. It was there yesterday morning and took pics and sent to my phone. When I left the hunt in the morning, it was only me and the rangers at the parking lot and they were going back in to find more stuff as I was leaving. When I came back for the afternoon hunt (only truck in the parking lot) it was gone. I know someone else could have taken it but circumstantially seems like they got it.

Also, a few weeks back I came across this cam that I assumed was the Corp office. Either that or a hunter came up with a good idea to keep his cams from getting stolen. So if they are leaving their cams up and taking ours down, that's BS.
                Attached Files

Comment

Cameras are subject to the same rules as is any other equipment left unattended on ACE lands, unless approved by the project manager. That is why some ACE projects allow certain items to be left all season by a hunter, pending the project hunting program, which has to be approved by the district office in Ft. Worth. But most ACE projects don't allow such. And follow the ACE code of abandoned property. Just like tents, campers, cars, bicycles, or any other items left on ACE properties, is subject to confiscation without a permit for such/permission.

Got to remember, ACE is a different Federal entity than USFS, or any other Federal WMAs/preserves. They all have their own rules. Especially individual ACE projects.

Comment

I have it from Austin directly that cams are only allowed to be out for 24 hrs at a time. Yes, that seems impractical but that's the rule at Grapevine. Not that I've ever left a cam more than 24 hrs of course... lol. Hide em well fellas

Comment

I just called and left a voicemail with one of the rangers for clarity (not sure if he's on this thread or not). I also have never known of that rule and can't find it anywhere online either. Only the rule with stands/blinds that are to be taken down at the end of each day which I agree with. But I don't understand that camera rule. It's a hunting tactic, it doesn't hurt any vegetation or wildlife, doesn't stake claim to areas.

It's actually a pressing issue for me because one of my cell cams came up missing when I went out yesterday afternoon. It was there yesterday morning and took pics and sent to my phone. When I left the hunt in the morning, it was only me and the rangers at the parking lot and they were going back in to find more stuff as I was leaving. When I came back for the afternoon hunt (only truck in the parking lot) it was gone. I know someone else could have taken it but circumstantially seems like they got it.

Also, a few weeks back I came across this cam that I assumed was the Corp office. Either that or a hunter came up with a good idea to keep his cams from getting stolen. So if they are leaving their cams up and taking ours down, that's BS.
                      I bet that's legit, they do conduct surveys from time to time. They corn for those too, was there bait near it? As far as fairness goes, welcome to government dealings

Comment

I spoke with Austin this morning and the rules are no 'property' left longer than 24-hours. Trail cams fall into that category, so they'll clean them out of there. Reason being, lots of guys leave them out and they essentially become trash. I can respect that logit. I don't know why anyone would willing leave trail cams out and never pick them up.

And he did confirm the camera I found was theirs. Put out to monitor illegal activity. I did not see any corn in front of it.

Comment

So who's going up to the office to ask for their taken gear? I'll probably avoid that step and count it as a loss. Anyway, thanks for letting us know, I guess!

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

Comment

I tried to avoid areas where I saw a camera, but like it was mentioned earlier it doesn’t stake claim to an area. I couldn’t get away from them, in 2 days of hunting I saw at least 7 cameras, no telling how many saw me. If you’ve got a pic of a bald guy with a big red beard, it’s me. I ended up seeing a 4 point fork horn that was 1 point away from riding home with me. I saw 3 does that were moving through quick and never got a shot.

Comment

What I like is the fact that it sounds like the rangers are looking for them. So driving around on atvs in hunting area looking for cameras claiming to be cleaning up trash. Wonder how much real trash they drive past?

Comment

Originally posted by Ducknbass View Post
                                What I like is the fact that it sounds like the rangers are looking for them. So driving around on atvs in hunting area looking for cameras claiming to be cleaning up trash. Wonder how much real trash they drive past?
                                It would be nice if they would publish some dates when they are doing that stuff with vehicles so we could avoid having hunts ruined, not necessarily for the compliance with the rules part but for trash pickups or brush cutting.

Comment

Working...
                                X