No announcement yet.

Grapevine Hunting 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer are finally starting to move on cam. I'll be back out in a week when we get a little cooler weather. Anyone finding any scrapes or rubs yet?

Comment

Originally posted by georgiaboy151 View Post
      I tried to avoid areas where I saw a camera, but like it was mentioned earlier it doesn’t stake claim to an area. I couldn’t get away from them, in 2 days of hunting I saw at least 7 cameras, no telling how many saw me. If you’ve got a pic of a bald guy with a big red beard, it’s me. I ended up seeing a 4 point fork horn that was 1 point away from riding home with me. I saw 3 does that were moving through quick and never got a shot.
      well you aren't supposed to leave cameras or stands up at grapevine anyways so if they did and they see you than it's their problem. Hopefully the rangers will have them by the time they come back to get them anyways

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
        Deer are finally starting to move on cam. I'll be back out in a week when we get a little cooler weather. Anyone finding any scrapes or rubs yet?
        No scrapes or rubs found but had a whole bunch of movement during the cold weather when I was out, all day long too.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
          I'm seeing plenty of rubs and have found about 4 scrapes. They are getting hit some but I expect them to hit them harder over the next few weeks.

Comment

I just got back to the car. I’m convinced after two hunts out here that either (1) I’m a terrible hunter (hint, this is it) or (2) there aren’t any deer out here and all the previous threads saying so are true. If anyone wants to offer any help or advise I’d gladly take it. Pm is fine so it’s on public to the world and I’ll share where I’ve been trying and seeing nothing.

I did find a pretty good sized dead pig and a really nice scrap. Too bad the scrape is probably 30 yards from the road.

I know I need more than two sits to pass judgement but I’m not finding anything.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
              I just got back to the car. I’m convinced after two hunts out here that either (1) I’m a terrible hunter (hint, this is it) or (2) there aren’t any deer out here and all the previous threads saying so are true. If anyone wants to offer any help or advise I’d gladly take it. Pm is fine so it’s on public to the world and I’ll share where I’ve been trying and seeing nothing.

I did find a pretty good sized dead pig and a really nice scrap. Too bad the scrape is probably 30 yards from the road.

I know I need more than two sits to pass judgement but I’m not finding anything.

Shoot me a PM. I’ll help you out. I have yet to see a deer on stand, but I’m bumping into some walking into different areas. Plus pigs too. I’ve been drawn 6 times since 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunting "at will" public land in Texas is one of the toughest hunts you will find. Takes lots of scouting (scrapes, food sources, ect), observation in the stand, determining the best set (tree stand vs ground blind, ect) for a situation, and understanding what the critters do with pressure during hunting season. Most places don't have a very high population.

Consistency is key. Stay at it, and you will eventually score. Took me 8 years as a self-taught bow hunter for my first bow kill. No mentor or others to help me out. Made a lot of mistakes during that time. That was 30 years ago. But you might be more fortunate and do it in less time.

I'm 38 years public and counting.
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-23-2022, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I’m nothing if not persistent. Probably well past the line of hard headed. I’m back in my saddle right now. It’s a little sporty in this wind too. Luckily for me in my excitement to get back up a tree I climbed up and started scanning. Heart skips a bear cause there’s a pig not 30 yards away. Unluckily for me it’s that same dead pig from yesterday morning. (See above post about being a bad hunter ��). Hey at least I got some strong cover scent down wind of me.

Comment

Don't discount that scrape just because it's close to the road. Sometimes those areas are the least hunted/pressured. While going deep is a good plan, sometimes the most overlooked areas are the close ones folks walk right past. And deer don't mind cars driving by.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Your profile pic suggests you may be sandbagging a just a bit...that's a nice buck!

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
                        Your profile pic suggests you may be sandbagging a just a bit...that's a nice buck!
                        That buck was the largest stroke of luck known to man. I shot him on some permission property. I got in the stand and shot him seven minutes later. It only took me something like 15 years of bowhunting to kill a deer with my bow.

See above post about being a terrible hunter.

But thank you for the complement!

Comment

Sending you a PM

Comment

I was out yesterday and had a group of 5-6 does come by but they weren’t quite close enough for my 11 year old boy’s crossbow skills haha. There is a big old mature one, pretty sure the same one from last year that gave me fits, that is the **** smartest deer I’ve ever seen. She made us out in our brush blind from 50 yards through all kinds of thick cover between us.

Now only if a legal buck would come walking by one morning…

Comment

Well. We can thank Joe F Biden for this crap. This is off of 35 section between 377. You guys have to deal with this crap this season. These illegals walking around while yall hunt. Machetes and clubs in hand. It's not like anyone will do anything about it I'm sure so you guys may wanna consider packing a little something extra. Our country is F ed. Get out and Vote this week please.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Double-AA View Post
                                So who's going up to the office to ask for their taken gear? I'll probably avoid that step and count it as a loss. Anyway, thanks for letting us know, I guess!

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
                                Good way for them to blacklist you next year [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X