No announcement yet.

Chaparral Javelina - 2/24-2/26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down here now. Drew north Jay. Dad hunted yesterday, I was a late arrival due to work. No javis seen but we found some huge holes that were about 18-24 inches deep. Looked like a crater. Think they may be from the warthogs but maybe that’s wishful thinking

Comment

Just pulled out of the gate. I was able to shoot a javelina at 6yds yesterday with me bow, and this morning I got to 10 yds from a hog, he bolted and I stuck him at 30. No blood and he went into some thick, nasty brush so I left him alone. Seems to be a slow week. Only two javelinas brought in. Been a few hogs killed and one coyote. Dad stayed back to hunt a few more hours.

It was a privilege to hunt there again after 15 years. Maybe next time it’ll be for deer. If anyone has some javelina recipes I’m all ears. For now I’m thinking chorizo and maybe some carnitas.

Comment

The best recipe I ever heard was place the javelina in a burlap sack. Dig a hole about 1 1/2 ft deep and build a fire. When the coals get burnt down lay the javelina in the burlap sack on the coals and cover with dirt. In about 2 hours uncover the dirt and get the javelina and burlap sack out of the coals. Eat the burlap sack and throw the javelina away.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
          If anyone has some javelina recipes I’m all ears. For now I’m thinking chorizo and maybe some carnitas.
          The Mississippi pot roast thread in the recipes section.

Comment

I like to make javelina into jerky, summer sausage, or trail bologna.

Comment

Working...
            X