Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Official 2022-2023 LAKE WHITNEY & AQUILLA Hunting & Fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't make opening day , I have 2 dogs running in events that weekend. Best of luck to everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      We need some more rain, really bad! Overall, lakes in Texas are very low with the Colorado and Brazos lakes being the lowest. The Trinity lakes are losing quickly also.

Some of the Brazos lakes:

Whitney is 6.85 feet low.
      Aquilla is 4.51 feet low, a lot for such a shallow lake that floods easily.
      Waco is 9.53 feet low. I bet you could scoop the hybrids up by hand.
      Proctor is 7.34 feet low.
      Belton is 9.17 feet low.
      Stillhouse is 8.83 feet low.
      Lake Georgetown is 15.14 feet low.

I'll leave it at that without listing the rest. Granger and Grandbury are the only ones not low, but still below normal at -1.59 and -1.61 respectably.
      Looking at the 5 year historical activity for my DFW lake, Only one year did lake levels rise appreciably through the fall. That was 2018. The other four years lake levels got worse. Of course, they were close to level to begin with so that may have something to do with it. I'm hopeful but not optimistic about the water this fall. I'm starting some plan C and D thinking. For ducks, it may mean I'll need to get out there much earlier than usual. On a weekend, I usually try to leave the dock at 2 or so. With low water, I may just hunt weekdays or get there the night before. Last year's opening day, I got there at 4:30 Friday afternoon and was already #3 in line...

Comment

Come on Saturday. Just got back from putting 70 pounds of corn out .

Comment

I'm going to try to get standby for one of the East TX wma hunts. If I fail there I'll go down to Alabama Creek and slug it out with the 3,000 other hunters. There's plenty of space though. I think ETX squirrel season starts Oct 1 so if its crazy I know a couple places. I'm sure everyone will be happy to have a squirrel hunter in the woods opening day! On the way back I'll get my Whitney permit.

Comment

Application numbers are down slightly as of this time last year. But could take a jump before Saturday.

As of today, there are:

Permitted hunters: 1422
            Surveys returns: 21 (approximately 1%)
            Hunters that did not hunt: 4

Comment

Good luck to all hunting this weekend. Where I'll be there'll be a slight NE wind.

Comment

I will be headed out there this weekend.

Comment

I'm gonna be in a tree Saturday morning. can't come soon enough!

However, I have to leave after noon to go to a wedding that evening- the nerve of some people...

Comment

Almost time!

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Fresh corn is on the ground for the morning.

Comment

Arrow patriot ready to go !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck everyone!

Comment

So who else is going around peacock calling tomorrow in the woods at 6am?!?

[emoji2]

Comment

Sure is a nice opening morning.

Comment

The best to everyone out this morning!

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                                So who else is going around peacock calling tomorrow in the woods at 6am?!?

[emoji2]

Kirby, did you run into a couple of the wild ones running around? I've had them come into camp and eat chips before. But were to wild to get close to. They were down there for a few years. Had lost tailfeathers and were gray from age. Some of the locals keep others.

Comment

Working...
                                X