Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Mobile hunting and packing/quartering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
      It’s definitely type 2 fun. Sucks during, but fun after [emoji23]

My first and only deer so far was on public, about 1.5 miles in. Field dressed, and was hunting with a buddy, so we just tied her legs up over a 10ft/2-3” diameter deadfall and carried her out on our shoulders.
      First half was through a sandy creekbed, then had to get her up a 10ft bank, and finally get through the second half of the hike in thick knee-high grass and cactus to dodge.

Maybe the most exhausted I’ve ever been by 2pm, but at its core, that was just a pure fun November morning outdoors with a good friend.

Comment

I went to a military surplus shop and got the straps for a mole frame pack and used that for my climbing stand. Pretty cheap and quite comfortable.

Comment

Here's my plan, but likely to change a few times between now and opening weekend.

EXO 2nd generation with load panel
          Trophyline saddle
          8 Wild Edge steps with 5 step aider
          XL platform
          Horn Hunter Bino Harness

28.5 lbs without water.

Still deciding on H2O solution, so any ideas are welcome.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
            Here's my plan, but likely to change a few times between now and opening weekend.

Trophyline saddle
            XL platform
            Horn Hunter Bino Harness

28.5 lbs without water.

Platypus is nice. Nalgene, or lightweight would be a smart water. Smart waters are rather quiet too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post

Trophyline saddle
              XL platform
              Horn Hunter Bino Harness

28.5 lbs without water.

I run the kuiu bino harness water carrier attachment (boy that’s a mouthful).

Unfortunately with 3L it’s the heaviest single item in my pack. And water alone won’t cut it for me, so I’ve started utilizing salt tablets.

My usual morning on the day of a hunt starts with me either getting an energy drink and a body armor/liquid IV powder in a nalgene and chugging both before I head in. Unfortunately the caffeine is a diuretic so I’m probably screwing myself there.

For this season, I’ve picked up a Sawyer water bottle filter. [ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t3eaDBtgF0E"]Sawyer Water Bottle Filter Review - YouTube[/ame]

It’ll give me the ability to get water closer to my hunting spot, and not have to carry the weight the entire time, provided I have an available water source. If I don’t have water available then that option sucks.

I will also say, that water from one of those filters also tastes like crap. [emoji1787]

Hopefully that’s helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by Boone44 View Post
                I'm going with a pack frame, tarp and 7 gallon bucket this year. I'm getting too old and lazy to use a cart these days. I feel like 4 quarters and the backstrap will fit in a 7 gallon bucket.
                It worked but I should of made 2 trips. It about killed me trying to beat the rain.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Boone44 View Post
                  It worked but I should of made 2 trips. It about killed me trying to beat the rain.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

That’s pretty great! But hey, it worked. Did having the bucket put the weight far away from your back? I’d think that would be a real killer.

Comment

It did and it was. I cant say for sure because the waist strap dropped below my hips. It was too heavy to adjust alone and I was trying to be a front. Barely made it!

Comment

I was dragging them out for a while. I was young. And in great athletic/aerobic shape. Then got my first freighter frame from Army-Navy store back in the early 1990s. Made a world of difference. Think I gave $30 for it. It wasn't very comfortable. But certainly got my money's worth out of it with all the deer I carried out. And corn I toted into some places. I gave it to another TBHer on here. Finally, got a cheap game cart back in 2004. And used it the first night I took it with me hauling a 300lb sow out, across a mud flat too. Got a much better freighter frame now. And a much better game cart, Hawk Crawler. I don't use the freighter frame much due to my back and Ankylosing Spondylitis. But that Hawk Crawler is a dream to pull!
                      Last edited by Texas Grown; 06-27-2023, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X