Texas Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huntindude View Post
    Drew antlerless/ spike at enchanted rock. Anyone have any good, bad, ugly they wish to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There two Compartments on the Front side of the Park and the rest of the blinds are on the west side of the dome. The 3 people that got these Compartments, did the best. I hunted a stand on the West Side. Saw 2 does, got one. Saw 12 Hogs in 1 group and got one. It was enjoyable and well organized, but not a target rich environment like I was expecting. I think the most deer we saw were in the Park Superintendent's Yard on our way out the front Gate eating grass.

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMike View Post
      How did you do on your previous hunts there?
      The first time we went (2014ish) I killed a doe, and easily could’ve killed another if I’d needed the meat. My dad saw deer but didn’t shoot one. The hunters in general did well, with over a dozen deer taken. The second time we went (2018ish) it was four of us and I was told after we drew our compartments that a kid had killed 2 does and 2 pigs from my stand the week before. I didn’t see an animal in 3 days. Two other guys with me didn’t see anything, one shot a pig. It didn’t get above freezing for three days. On our way out we saw three does 100 yds from one of our stands. That hunt was pretty bad for everyone, a couple of does and pigs were all that was taken.

Comment

Finally, got drawn for GDE! Guadalupe SP, Bauer unit! Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
          The first time we went (2014ish) I killed a doe, and easily could’ve killed another if I’d needed the meat. My dad saw deer but didn’t shoot one. The hunters in general did well, with over a dozen deer taken. The second time we went (2018ish) it was four of us and I was told after we drew our compartments that a kid had killed 2 does and 2 pigs from my stand the week before. I didn’t see an animal in 3 days. Two other guys with me didn’t see anything, one shot a pig. It didn’t get above freezing for three days. On our way out we saw three does 100 yds from one of our stands. That hunt was pretty bad for everyone, a couple of does and pigs were all that was taken.
          Did any Standby Hunters get a permit to Hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            Finally, got drawn for GDE! Guadalupe SP, Bauer unit! Yeah!
            Congrats!!

Comment

Thanks MntMike! I'ma 1 for 25 hunts this year. Got 15 more to go.

Hoping the best for yall Bud!

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                Got drawn for the Fairfield spike/doe hunt on January 2nd. Third time drawing this one.
                Supposed to be one of the better ones. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                  Texas Youth Hunt was good to my Grandson. He’s going to hunt the King Ranch. ��
                  Congrats to him, Tim! Are you going to be his Hunt master?

Comment

Originally posted by BarBBar View Post
                    No email from TPWD. Just checked status on website expecting another big fat zero. It says I won Matador GDE Nov. 14 with 13 points. I'm 69, and have never won a gun hunt of any kind.

Anyone else drawn for Matador? Do I need a 4X4 vehicle?

Should I take my Millenium tripod?

Any info appreciated.

It’s probably my favorite place to hunt. It’s sandy roads in some places and if it rains I could imagine it could get pretty nasty and 4x4 would be nice. Tripod definitely would help. I would ask to get OX or shorty compartments. They are a little easier to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                      0 for 18 so far this yr. 13 more draws to go.
                      Still didn't draw Chaparral with 54,872 points. Plus the 9-10 years I put in before tpw started counting points. Pending second draw but we all know that means better luck next year. F j b

I was waiting to see your post here. That is just wild you didn’t draw again. I was pulling for you!

I struck out on everything so far. Crazy, I can’t even draw a management hunt on 3 different places with 10 points.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                        No email yet but according to website I’m going to POWDERHORN GDE 12/12- 12/15

That and the chap have been the only place I’ve been applying in that category for years. 11 points
                        Congrats!! We will be there too, only took us 12 pts on average as a group of 4 lol but it finally happened!! Super stoked to finally be hunting Powderhorn. I'm sure we'll see you there and good luck to everyone else on the upcoming exotic draw!
                        Last edited by trozy55; 09-16-2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                          I was waiting to see your post here. That is just wild you didn’t draw again. I was pulling for you!

I struck out on everything so far. Crazy, I can’t even draw a management hunt on 3 different places with 10 points.

You and me both brother.

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
                            One of my favorite places. Y'all are gonna luv it
                            Awesome. He's stoked. He won a buck hunt there and a buck hunt at Abilene. He won 2 hunts last year as well.

Comment

Never knew about these hunts til this year. Separated both kids for youth hunts and also to build pref points and went 0/16 and 0/18. Went 0/6 for me with a kid and 0/6 for my wife with a kid in adult category to start building pref points.

Hoping we get drawn for a TYHP hunt or two. We've been applying like crazy on them and hope to get selected.

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
                                Some of the folks on here AMAZE me. So much talk about how horrible our draw system is and then when a lot of folks do get drawn, they start asking questions about the place they got drawn at (ie: Is this place any good?, etc.). I see so many questions about when is "so and so" category drawn. How did you even apply? Did someone else do it for you? Look at the system, do your homework. The most desirable places get "tons" of interest & applications. As the drawings are very limited, you can expect to wait a while "normally" before you got a chance. But the good thing about this system, as compared to other states is that it does not go strictly off of points. I have been in the system for years in Arizona, trying to draw a quality Elk tag. I know these things don't come easy, therefore, I'm going to have to wait. Here in Texas, at least our draw system is very similar to a raffle, in that your name goes in the hopper just like everyone else. Depending on your # of preference points, you get more "raffle tickets" in the pot. But at least you still have a chance, even with a low number of points. I guess I just don't understand people that play the system, without knowing how it works, and then want to complain about it. Grow up or go pay for a deer lease! Pardon (tic), just had to get that off my chest.
                                WELL SAID But it is kinda fun to read all the comments

Comment

Working...
                                X