No announcement yet.

Texas Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, there’s a lot more to this draw setup than I knew. I’m seeing some of yalls points and it’s honestly stuff I never thought about.

Comment

I get TPWD's strategy to capitalize at the time of license sales to push for the draw hunts, but they should really be done earlier in the year like western states.

"Oh hey you drew an archery hunt that's in a month or a hunt that's on the other side of the state. Good luck scheduling vacation off from work, finding accommodations, and everything else that goes along with making a hunt happen. Can't make it tough luck, but I'm taking those points."

Comment

Ah heck. Put in for a few more. What the heck..

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
          Just finished my first round of apps. I know it's been mentioned a lot before, but I really wish we had a points-only option in this Texas process. I have a couple other out of state adventures this year that will take up most of my time off.

Not that I'm concerned about drawing with the abysmal draw odds, but it would be nice to go points-only on a year with a busy schedule. Not applying isn't an option either, since each year adds hundreds of names to the hat with the cubed system.

It would be cool to be able to apply aggressively on years you really want hunts or back off on years you don't, and not fall behind in the points by not applying.
          I'd say your best bet is to only apply for 1 hunt in each desired category that has the absolute lowest odds of drawing. You'll get your point and worst case scenario, you'll draw a really great hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
            100%. That's exactly what I do as well. I don't want the Powderhorn hunt in the exotic category, but my name is in that hat 1728 times since it has the worst draw odds. All I want is a point for something else in the future, but it's making the odds that much worse for everyone else. A points-only option would fix that situation all around.
            I actually LOVE this idea! Would be cool to just buy a point but not affect the odds for the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
              I'm being lazy....I know I can look it up....but what hunts are they drawing on the 16th?
              They'll be drawing for Archery Deer, Archery Mule Deer, Javelina, Private Land Pronghorn, and Pronghorn.

Fingers crossed for Archery Deer or Javelina. Didn't fool with pronghorn or mule deer due to low odds.

Comment

Originally posted by PecanBuck View Post
                They'll be drawing for Archery Deer, Archery Mule Deer, Javelina, Private Land Pronghorn, and Pronghorn.

Fingers crossed for Archery Deer or Javelina. Didn't fool with pronghorn or mule deer due to low odds.
                I’m relying heavy on an archery deer draw, but I did put in for muley archery and pronghorn to atleast get the points.

Comment

I finally put my name in the hat yesterday for the first draw. Spent a whopping $6!!!
                  For somebody that works 7 on and 7 off, my schedule just doesn’t line up with theirs!!!
                  For the people that has been putting in for the last few years, the archery deer category, is about half of what it used to be 20+ years ago. What a shame.

Comment

Just curious, what do you consider a lot of points on these draws. I use to think 4 was a lot but know I realize that people have up to 20 points in some categories. I still feel that anything over 10 points is a lot. Either people are getting drawn or they give up.

Who has over 10? Is it everyone but me? (I'm at 7 in most categories)

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                      Just curious, what do you consider a lot of points on these draws. I use to think 4 was a lot but know I realize that people have up to 20 points in some categories. I still feel that anything over 10 points is a lot. Either people are getting drawn or they give up.

Who has over 10? Is it everyone but me? (I'm at 7 in most categories)
                      I have seven in alot of categories and have never drawn

Comment

I have 8-10 in most, and 16 for pronghorn.

Comment

Well y’all got a lot More than me. I still can’t believe with this cubed system that guys with that amount of points aren’t getting drawn

Comment

I have 10+ in 4 different categories, and 7 or 8 in another 5 categories

Comment

First hunt I got drawn in, I had 7 points. I started putting in for that hunt with a group of 3 others the first year it was available. One dropped out about the 4 year. And the year we got drawn, another couldn't go. So just 2 of us went. That was a few years ago. Got drawn again last year with 12 points for GDAntlerless/spike at Enchanted Rock. I've got 13 going into this year with GDE with a buddy. And lots of other categories with about half as many points. Our GDE selection is very low odds. But hoping for great hunts.

Comment

I'm at 6pts in GDE & GD-A/S
                                1-4 in other categories.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X