Texas Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
    My son and I won a Private Lands dove hunt. Good start to the drawing season.
    Heath wants to go with you.

Comment

Originally posted by texastrouthunte View Post
      Dre’s James daughtery WMA alligator!!!! Anybody here draw or been drawn in the past? Would appreciate any pointers or info needed

Congrats! Should be some biggins to catch there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven’t applied to a single hunt yet.

Comment

I dropped a lot of money applying this year hoping to draw something. The dream would be one of the mule deer hunts or antelope but I'd be tickled to draw a hunt stacking doe in a state park somewhere too! I am impatiently waiting for my heartbreak on the 16th.

Comment

I'm in for 35 hunt dates total. I'm hopefully optimistic.

Only two of those overlap by one day in two different catagories. One of them I'd gladly sacrifice for the other.
            Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-02-2022, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
              Congrats! Should be some biggins to catch there.

Super excited but didn’t think there was a chance I would draw, I’ve got an elk hunt in New Mexico scheduled for the 15-19 that I am trying to push back now. I looked at the odds from last year and it showed .3% chance to draw. I literally picked this one to apply so I would have more points next year

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                anyone ever hunt/draw for Gene Howe WMA in the Panhandle? I'm sure its pretty cold and windy up there in Dec. but wondering if there is camping available, what the terrain is like and success rates?
                Oh, you don't wanna do that!

Last year sent one guy to hospital for hypothermia and another for frost bite. There is a small camp area full of stickers, but one hunter's tent blew away and was found in Oklahoma. Unfortunately, he was still in it. I think the best buck they ever killed was a 2-yr old 7-point that grossed 109 3/8, that was about 20 years ago.

I'm pretty sure that info is in the neighborhood of being accurate.

OK, it's awesome. The current staff is really awesome. You could kill something big. Yes, it can be very cold in Dec. Upland prairie and Canadian River bottom. Like hunting Kansas. I never get drawn anyway, so why not come clean? I hope you get drawn and have a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                  Ever wonder why there are so few hunts on large pieces of property that TPWD manages? Well, it's because they allow their personnel to hunt the properties too.
                  I know most folks viewing this thread recognize that as a false accusation, but given there are always new hunters coming in, I must point out:

THE ACCUSATION ABOVE IS TOTALLY FALSE

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                    I know most folks viewing this thread recognize that as a false accusation, but given there are always new hunters coming in, I must point out:

THE ACCUSATION ABOVE IS TOTALLY FALSE

I can tell you that some are allowed to shoot pigs on places but even those have to be left in field. I have yet been to a place where staff can hunt unless they take the day off and apply for standby

Comment

I hunted south llano last year… the park cop was undoubtedly shooting hogs in the park at night. It annoyed the heck out of me cause they were driving/shooting in the section next to where I was hunting. Whatever - I get it, but don’t do it during a hunt!!!! I waited 13 points to get there ….

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                        Thanks. We put in for a private land dove hunt, so no dice for us.
                        Three friends and I won the Young County one last year on our first try. Miracles happen!

Comment

I have a question, may be a simple one but having never been drawn I wasn’t sure how this plays out.

If you put two people on the application, say for places that do compartment hunts. If drawn do both people get to work together and hunt the same compartment or does each go their separate way?

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                            I have a question, may be a simple one but having never been drawn I wasn’t sure how this plays out.

If you put two people on the application, say for places that do compartment hunts. If drawn do both people get to work together and hunt the same compartment or does each go their separate way?
                            It could be different at different places but in my experience, you'd be in the same compartment. Again, each place may have different rules.

Comment

I drew a private land dove hunt! Texas Wild 10/18!
                              It’s only a dove hunt but still super stoked to draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                                I haven’t applied to a single hunt yet.

Fake News? Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X