Garner State Park youth hunt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son was drawn for the youth, either sex hunt at Garner for this Mew Years weekend. We got to our cabin at 4J tonight just in time for a spectacular sunset. There is something special about those hill country sunsets.

He had to take an obligatory photo with the famous sign. [emoji3] Steaks on the grill for dinner and a good cold German brewski for me.

He can shoot one whitetail (buck or doe) and axis (only one fork horned). We have plenty of whitetail in the freezer and he’ said he’s holding out for a good one or maybe a doe later in the hunt. He really wants to kill an axis as neither of us have ever shot one.

We meet at the park HQ in the morning at 10:00am and we’re hoping to see spots tomorrow afternoon. Hoping for a good update over the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck! Hope yall have a great time and he is successful!

Comment

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Comment

Very cool, should be a target rich hunt. Good luck!

Comment

Good luck! Beautiful sunset!

Comment

Next week

I'll be there next week. Haven't booked a place to stay yet. Are those cabins in the park and how much a night Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
              I'll be there next week. Haven't booked a place to stay yet. Are those cabins in the park and how much a night Thanks

These cabins are about a half a mile from the entrance to garner. This is a very clean and quiet spot. Highly recommend. The off peak rates are cheaperthan most hotels.

Last edited by salth2o; 12-30-2021, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks I'll check them out. Good luck on your hunt.

Comment

Looks like fun already!

Comment

Not sure how they draw for blinds anymore. When I hunted we literally drew numbers out of a bucket. The number you drew corresponded with the number blind.
                    There was some very very good blinds and some where you saw nothing but cardinals and squirrels.
                    If for some reason they changed it and they let you pick, don’t pick the thick stuff. The blinds in the super thick stuff across the river held only white tails when I went on it. My party had the best luck changing blinds halfway thru and getting closer to the campground and the more open areas near the entrance.

I’m sure the numbers have changed since then but I saw and killed a load of axis out of blind #11.
                    Good luck to your kid!

Comment

My son drew stand 7. They still draw numbers from a bucket. They line up from oldest to youngest.

it looks like a really good area. Just got settled in and now waiting for the deer and axis to do their part.

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Shot fired. Axis doe White belly…

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Turned out to be a button buck. Who cares though. His first axis in the books. It’s an awesome free range public land axis.

Comment

Working...
                              X