Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
    And this is one of the problems.

On state lands other than active popular parks there needs to be NO BABYSITTING.

I have heard Staff say they liked it when the parks were closed during the virus. They wanna collect a paycheck but do not want people using the lands.

Hunters are fighting a losing battle against state staff.
    This 100%, there are plenty of state parks and some WMA's that could be doing draw hunts that aren't, and many that used to and have since quit.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
      This 100%, there are plenty of state parks and some WMA's that could be doing draw hunts that aren't, and many that used to and have since quit.
      Agree, it's not that difficult, open it up reasonably and work weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
        That would be great, but TPWD really doesn't have the budget to effectively manage what they have now.
        I don't think so. They don't utilize federal dollars distributed by the private lands/public hunt program administered by the USDA.

I don't know why this is. Hard to imagine landowners won't do that here but are willing in other states.

I did noticed most landowners fence above the floodplain of large rivers even though their property actually goes much farther in some cases to the river edge. Why not enroll those acres? Compensate the landowners for land they can't use for grazing or crops and let the state control ingress and egress while significantly increasing aph and drawn hunting opportunities. There has to be multiple similar situations throughout the state this could be done.

Comment

Also there is a lot of land from Eagle Ford shale or other oil bust, just wondering if some kind of agreement could be worked out….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So always an interesting topic to discuss. Texas just doesn't have alot of public land but one of the major problems is funding. The state currently has 1 WMA (Chinati Mts) and 1 SNA (Davis Hill near Cleveland) that they have owned for many years but do not have the funds to develop. No access or development so they haven't even allowed hunting there. Properties just sitting there.

Several other new WMAs took years to develop. Yoakum Dunes had property first purchased in 2007 and finally opened up to limited mule deer hunting just a couple of years ago. Same with Roger Fawcett WMA and Kronkosky SNA. Both of these have allowed limited hunting recently but are still waiting on funding for infrastructure and staffing.

One a side note, if you have never heard of the Texas Parks & Wildlife Foundation you should check it out. They basically are the non-profit arm of TPWD that raises funds for land purchases, infrastructure, staffing, etc. In the past 30 years, they have raised roughly $215 million. Charity navigator rates them as "exemplary" and 97% of their donations go toward actual projects (roughly 3% is administrative). Surprisingly many of the purchases of land were from the Nature Conservancy. I always thought the Nature Conservancy was "anti-hunting" but they are good at acquiring land and if the TPWD eventually gets ahold of it, I'm all for it.

Last thing I'll comment on is the annual TPWD Public Hunt survey and other feedback. Positive comments in the survey are probably more helpful than b***ching. I have also hunted on quite a few drawn hunts over the years and EVERY SINGLE ONE I send a "thank you" email to the site mgmt after it's over. I know they receive alot of negative comments so just want let them know I am appreciative of them offering the hunt. Trust me, there are things I would change both at the overall level and at specific sites but I'm a glass full kinda guy. I try to keep my comments positive when talking with location staff and in my survey responses. It could be worse, I have buddies living in a Midwest state and they can't believe we are allowed to shoot deer in state parks....

Comment

TBH should form a 501 of some kind and facilitate private leases with the state under the above mentioned program.

I volunteer to help with this admins. Have some experience and need projects

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
                Also there is a lot of land from Eagle Ford shale or other oil bust, just wondering if some kind of agreement could be worked out….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Just because its land doesn't mean there are deer and if there are deer its likely already getting leased

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                  Just because its land doesn't mean there are deer and if there are deer its likely already getting leased
                  That’s basically Texas public land in a nut shell. It’s leftover land that holds the earth together for the most part. Not all some are obvious premier property. But most is mehhh at best

Leases are about the same. People pay crazy prices… cause they gotta have a place!…. It has zero animals…. But they got a place!!! Lol

Comment

Working...
                  X