Old Sabine WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Sabine WMA

Have a friend who’s son drew Old Sabine this weekend. Does anyone have any experience or advice I could share with him?

Good luck!
    Saw a nice buck being loaded up Mon afternoon, off 1804 but I didn't stop.
    Place is crawling with pigs right now.
    Bring a kayak and use the river for access.

Comment

Good luck to the youth! I hoped to take one of our youth group kids as stand by (guaranteed basically) but I’m the only one here this weekend…. So that ain’t happening. BIL drew the rifle hunt and I’ve got a few spots marked for him.

How old is the youth and his walking distance/ shooting abilities? Atv or on foot?

Comment

I’d advise shooting the first legal deer they have an opportunity at, of killing a deer is the goal, they usually harvest single digits there all season. Water is LOW, so pinch points and funnels are not as “forced”. Acorns are basically gone in a lot of areas. If you find a red/water oak that’s a possibility or even overcups that might still be good

Youth season typically stacks up on the power line and pipeline… I guess they just like to see. From 1804 entry it’s a pretty good stomp to “timber”. Through the middle entrance you will have more options to the woods (not saying that’s an advantage, just different habitat)

If they don’t see hogs….. they made a wrong turn and are not at the right WMA. Lol

Comment

I believe he’s 16 and is a good shot. They are taking a side by side and possibly a kayak.

Comment

Kayak at current water levels would probably be more dragging it that floating in it. Sabine is one log jam after another when low.

If sxs then they can use the trail (assuming it’s open, I’ve heard they allow them but in my life I’ve never once seen it “open”. Maybe just draw hunts..)

I’d gun hunt it the same as I’d bowhunt it. Thickets. Those deer don’t walk around in the open much. Lol

Comment

Thanks for the info, I’ll pass it on!

Comment

And word for anyone hunting the youth draw?

Comment

I didn’t get any calls to track this year…. Don’t know if that’s good or bad. Anyone hear if any kiddos knocked anything down?

Comment

Our boy didn’t see anything except for a doe while going in the first morning, but he put in a valiant effort

Comment

That’s the reoccurring story there. Someone on here said it best on a past thread, “prettiest hardwood bottom you will ever walk in…. That don’t have a deer in it”. At least he got to experience it and grow from the experience. It’s a tough place for sure

Comment

It is pretty

Comment

Never heard anything on youth success?

BIL got compartment this morning. I gave him my gps and a destination. lol I’ll update when I hear back.

Comment

That places has always baffled me on how it can be such great habitat with so few deer. We used to spend entire days out there chasing pigs around with bows and almost never saw deer or sign.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                              That places has always baffled me on how it can be such great habitat with so few deer. We used to spend entire days out there chasing pigs around with bows and almost never saw deer or sign.
                              They are there.
                              I see mounts, & cam game pics of them all that time.
                              Thats a big nasty bottom though with a ton of places for deer to hole up.
                              IMO a only a very small percentage of it actually ever gets hunted.

Comment

Working...
                              X