• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Awesome story and congrats again!

Comment

Congrats on the buck.
        I enjoyed following along. These threads are my favorite.
        Y’all are a hard hunting bunch.

Comment

great buck, congrats!

Comment

Same, love following along and living vicariously through you guys. And, I had a feeling, from like page 2, that Solocam would pull this out and score a good one. Made the mistake of looking at his hunting exploits online, last year, after we met at the Chap Management hunt a year ago.......I'm totally jelly......

Comment

Originally posted by gonzotexan View Post
              Same, love following along and living vicariously through you guys. And, I had a feeling, from like page 2, that Solocam would pull this out and score a good one. Made the mistake of looking at his hunting exploits online, last year, after we met at the Chap Management hunt a year ago.......I'm totally jelly......
              I was there and had the same thought. The boy goes into beast mode while hunting . Was a good bunch of guys to hunt with. Would hunt with them again in a hearbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                Thanks for the comments everyone! Here is the story of the hunt.

I was sitting HQ contemplating my next move. I wanted to move and set up on that scrape, but the heat was draining any motivation to build a new set (I’m not the machine KK is on building sets lol). As KK got there, we started discussing the afternoon hunt. He decided to hunt our southern border, an area I originally started corning but abandoned and pitched to him. After reviewing some pictures from that area, KK offered up the idea of us tag teaming that drainage, setting up on each side to fully cover it. After mulling over it a few minutes, I decided what the hell let’s do it! KK already had a tripod set up on the east side, and I would build a brush blind on the west. KK pointed out an area with good sign, then while unloading my gear I set off my truck alarm and as it constantly honked for what seemed like 10 minutes KK could just stand there and think “well…so much for this hunt..” LOL [/COLOR] and upon checking it out myself agreed this area looked good. Problem was there were 3 heavy trails coming to it, and I had to decide which 2 to focus on. I finally decided on my set and made a makeshift blind with the hopes that the deer would come out in front of me and not behind.

The hunt was going about as awful as it could. My chair developed this squeak that made noise with any little move. My blind was not brushed in the best, and the wind was swirling. As the sun set all I had seen is two coyotes. My arse was absolutely killing me, and I was having to convince myself to stay there and tough it out with every passing second. With light fading fast, I was preparing my white towel to heave. I hear a noise behind me, and slowly turning around I see a nubbin buck hit the road. He catches my light corn trail and starts working down to my shooting lane. I hear another noise behind me, and gaze back to see a wide buck hit the road. The ol ticker gets to pumping, but I know this buck has a long ways to go to get into my shooting lane. That plus having to pass right beside me at 5 yards with no wind and light fading fast, the odds were against me. To my surprise he starts covering the distance quickly. I look him in the eye at 5 yards as he passes and doesn’t smell me. I start raising my bow and of course it’s catching on every tiny twig. At 15 yard I have my bow up, but he still needs to go another 7-8 yards to give me a clear shot. He finally gets there and I make the slowest draw in history without being detected. He is hard quartering away, and I contemplate taking that shot. I decide to roll the dice and give a little squeak with my mouth. In doing this, the buck jerks his head up and turns perfect broadside. I settle my pin and touch the release. I knew he was hit, but the shot looked high and back. As the buck blows out of there he is crashing through brush hard, giving me hope. I then hear a loud crash followed by silence. I sat there in shock for a minute, thanked the Lord, and texted the group. The blood trail was sparse, so I just eased trough the brush on the trail he was on and found him 75 yards in. I was elated!!

The best part of this story comes at the end. Every TBHer stayed back to help in one way or another. KK helped with pics and getting my buck loaded, then helped me retrieve my tripod all the while facing a 6 hour trip home. Ttaxidermy and Huntindad stayed to help me skin and quarter my deer (an ice chest that holds a whole Lampassas buck doesn’t hold a south Texas buck [emoji1787]). These gentlemen are top notch guys, but y’all already knew that! Thanks guys.

I’ve been fortunate with several opportunities to hunt this amazing place, and I’m already looking forward to the next, whenever that might come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Sorry I couldn’t help but fill in the important details of the hunt and the huge obstacles you had to overcome.

Comment

That Mathews sounded like a gun going off and the impact of that arrow was equally as loud followed by the crash thru the brush. Was definitely an experience. I obviously would have liked to double up but was glad one of us got it done.

Comment

Hmmm... I didn't hear about this...

KK pointed out an area with good sign, then while unloading my gear I set off my truck alarm and as it constantly honked for what seemed like 10 minutes KK could just stand there and think “well…so much for this hunt..” LOL
                    I can see this happening

Comment

Hillarious!!!

Comment

Oh it happened….just another layer to the story of success. Lol

Comment

Great write up

Maybe some of you need to take note, honk the horn like an old rancher feeding cows to draw the big ones in

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                            Sorry I couldn’t help but fill in the important details of the hunt and the huge obstacles you had to overcome.

Lol, how could I forget that! Ringing the dinner bell is a very important detail of the story that obviously contributed to the success…[emoji23]

That was very embarrassing lol. Couldn’t get the **** thing to stop!

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                              That Mathews sounded like a gun going off and the impact of that arrow was equally as loud followed by the crash thru the brush. Was definitely an experience. I obviously would have liked to double up but was glad one of us got it done.

That’s all that power getting unleashed!

You know, hand corning where you can actually see helps your odds of killing something [emoji16] I swear that was a buck I saw up there!

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                                That’s all that power getting unleashed!

You know, hand corning where you can actually see helps your odds of killing something [emoji16] I swear that was a buck I saw up there!

Man like the rest of the hunt it will be something I think about until next yr.

Comment

Working...
                                X